The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 06:49 AM

Back in the early 1990's when Collings was getting established, there was a saying: "When a better Martin is built, Bill Collings will build it". It's a funny line, but not really correct. IMO, Collings don't sound like Martins at all, though they LOOK like them.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-18-2019, 02:38 PM

In the UK check out Atkin Guitars . Wonderful examples
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-27-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy1962 View Post
There’s a £10 note in the middle of a perfectly square room. In each corner there is:

Santa Claus
The Easter Bunny
A luthier who makes a guitar that everyone agrees is the best
A luthier who makes a guitar that is popular but splits opinions

Who gets to the £10 first?
Well, perhaps you've never heard but Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny besides being other things are not real, so is the luthier that everyone agrees is the best, so it has to be the luthier who splits opinions. He is the only real one of the four. The other three don't exist.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well, IMHO, everyone should own at least ONE D-18 or D-28. Guitars don't become icons unless they stand the test of time. Pretty hard to top, in my view.

scott memmer
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 AM

Guitar is a strange industry. People largely prefer avoiding innovation or changes. I'm amazed how many folks will instantly claim that it can't be done. Don't bother. Just get a Martin.

https://www.facebook.com/johnny.staa...9158096912843/

I've become a big fan of Bob Thompson guitars. I recall some guy at my acoustic jam giving me the "nice fake Martin" comment when I first brought it out. My wife thinks I'm a moron, but I'm pretty sure he was being very sarcastic.

Part of Martin's price tag is the dealer cut, advertising, endorsements, HR department, lawyers, etc. As far as I'm concerned, none of that makes a better guitar. This is generally why I prefer independent luthiers who sell direct.

Why do I prefer Bob Thompson to Martin? A lot of it is because I like to customize my specs to perfectly suit my needs. As far as I know, Martin doesn't offer bevels/radiused arm rests. By the time I went through the custom shop, I'd be spending at least $10k. I have an OM with Brazilian back/sides. Let me know how much Martin would charge and I'll disclose that I probably paid 1/2 that.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:54 AM

At the low-end you get builders trying to "Be Martin" as best they can using Asian manufacturing. Those usually fall into the "It might sound close enough for you for now, until you win the lottery or something . . "

I know a guy who found a gem of a Blue Ridge. It's got a typical Chinese excessive amount of Bling, but for him it plays great, and he's more willing to take it to dodgy bars than he is his Martin...

At the high end, you have a guy who LOVES Something about <brand>'s guitars, but thinks he can do THAT better, while fixing the things he Doesn't like.

You might agree or disagree with that builder's approach.

That's okay. Martins can be all over the map.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

James Merrill makes best one out there!

used runs around high 4k. but you can get under sometimes..~

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 01-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Back in the early 1990's when Collings was getting established, there was a saying: "When a better Martin is built, Bill Collings will build it". It's a funny line, but not really correct. IMO, Collings don't sound like Martins at all, though they LOOK like them.
Some further info on this: Martin sought to make their instruments evenly balanced across the strings (i.e not bass, middle or treble biased) until the 14 fret models when they decoded to make them bass biased.

Ever since he started to formalise his range, Bill Collings decided to keep his guitars balanced across the strings.

To some, who are understandably "imprinted" on the Martin sound, equivalent Collings may sound "bright" or even "trebly" - in fact they are neither - but "balanced" and that will either satisfy you or not.

Also like any other good quality make, they will open up over time.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default D35 ???

Another thought ... has anyone (apart from '70s Japanese makes) sought to make their own version of a d35 ? Can't think of any ....?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Martin built their best guitars many decades ago. If that’s the “Martin” sound, they can’t even build it, let alone build it better.
I totally disagree. They are building the best guitars they've ever built in the history of the company IMO.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Another thought ... has anyone (apart from '70s Japanese makes) sought to make their own version of a d35 ? Can't think of any ....?
Speaking of the Japanese makers from that era after owning one of those since the early 80's I decided to upgrade to a high end Martin thinking it would be best. Then I decided to pick up a high end Taylor thinking it would be best. Then I bit the bullet, lost my butt, sold them both and went back to and went back to this one.

1980 MIJ Sigma D10 Anniversary
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...mA-Ppam7bVUn_k
Old 01-28-2019, 05:52 PM

Silly rabbits, nobody makes a Martin better than Martin.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM

There was a time a few years ago when I would have walked past any Martin to look at Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, H&D, Merrill, B&H, Prouxl, or any other medium to small shop guitars. I'm much less apt to do that today. Although I may/may not end up purchasing a Martin, IMHO Martin have generally been producing much better guitars vs those made from the early 2000s and back to the '50s. I have looked at and played some of the newer (2005 and more recent) Martin offerings that I seriously considered purchasing. I currently own a Prewar Guitars Model D distress level 1 and a custom Bourgeois AT (torified) Vintage D Brazilian, neither of which is going anywhere. But I wouldn't mind adding a great sounding Martin to my stable.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 PM

Martin Guitars are, IMHO, the standard by which all others are measured, and only Martin builds a Martin. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo
Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Who does better Beatles than the Beatles? Who composes Beethoven symphonies better than Beethoven? Who played authentic acoustic blues better than Robert Johnson?

Look. If you prefer a different guitar maker, that’s cool. I have a Santa Cruz that I gig with. But Martin makes the original Martin guitar just fine. My Santa Cruz is a Santa Cruz.

Lots of great guitar makers. Taste is subjective, and it would be a boring world if we all preferred exactly the same thing. But if you want a Martin, get a Martin. If you want something different, get something different. I think sometimes people make it more difficult than it is - especially on a discussion board.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion