The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-27-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Sunday Chord Melody #7

Here's my arrangement of the 1940 Rodgers and Hart song "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered": https://youtu.be/2AzlaknlbPk. Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-27-2020 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Embedded video
Old 09-27-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Not easy to play. You did a really nice job on it!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-27-2020, 03:28 PM

Many thanks. Truth be told, I don't find many chord melodies easy to play. They're all pretty demanding and take a lot of practice, at least for me. Now that I've been trying my hand at them for a while, it makes me all the more amazed at people like Joe Pass, who seemed to be able just to improvise these things on the spot. I simply can't even fathom that.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:47 PM

you must have worked very hard on that tune; and it was well worth it !! sounds sooo nice!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:57 PM

Thank you for your kind words. I've done thirty-three of these so far. And, yes, I typically spend three to four days working on the arrangement itself, probably a solid week practicing it, and then another day looking for an early sheet music cover and researching the history of the song for the video.

Unfortunately, these arrangements are a little too difficult for me to sight-read, which means I have to memorize them, and I don't seem to be able to hold more than one arrangement in my memory at a time. So, at any given time, I have a total guitar repertoire of one single piece. I have the same problem on the Celtic harp, for which it is even more difficult to sight-read. With my other instruments (various members of the lute and recorder families), sight-reading is not a problem, so I can play piece after piece as long as I want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell