The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-21-2020, 01:21 PM

Default How to repair long chip on side of fretboard

Hey all! I am new here, and I am also a new owner of my first solid body acoustic! Looking forward to learning more here on how to maintain it properly.

So here’s my simple question; how do I repair this chip in the side of my rosewood board? Along the 10th fret. (As pictured)

Old 09-21-2020, 01:55 PM

It's hard to tell what is going on there. It kind of looks like it's just the binding but then in some spots you can see the fret tang as though there is no biding. The color of the chipped out wood does indicate that it's binding too.

How deep is the cut?

Can you tell if it's a very thin piece of plastic binding? You might be able to use a razor blade and lift it away with the tip of the blade to see.

What is the fretboard wood?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:27 PM

Fret board wood is rosewood. To be totally honest, I havent received the guitar yet! This is from the photos on the listing and I noticed this after I bought it. Now that you mention it, it does look to be binding. Once I have it in my hands I will be able to get clear photos.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:38 PM

Yeah that's definitely binding or really just a thin edge stripping to cover the fret ends and as you can see in the pic the fret ends have popped through the edging in many places. It's fixable.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:42 PM

First thing is identify the material (binding material, fret board material, etc.). Repair should not be too difficult. Square it off on all sides. Find and acquire material. If it's wood get several samples of different shades. Then get busy with your exacto. That looks like a good candidate for superglue. Be careful with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair