The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-14-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I took a look at a video of what you're talking about and it's what I thought it was. I don't see how it's possible to get realistic sounding instrument tracks using that given its limitations, but that's your call.
I'm not using that, I was looking for a way to shut it off. I did.

I followed this video below and actually used my J45 with direct line into my Scarlet 2i4 as a midi to create a flute.

Here's my J-45 as a flute

Fun stuff!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-14-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That's true and I was answering based on the music I've heard from TB and from what he said in his original post.

My first experience with virtual instruments goes back 20 years to this song. What was available back then was nothing like what we have available today. I wanted a sax track on this song but I had no money to hire a sax player. The sax patch, which kicks in at about 1:50, came from a physical module (the name escapes me). It was imputed with a midi keyboard and we spent a lot of time massaging it to get it sounding like it does ...which was pretty good for the time but I listen to it now and I cringe. The arrangement is, as you said, sparse ...just guitar, bass, piano, and that awful fake sax.

From your intent and time I can understand what you say, and I've had a devil of time ever getting anything I feel is valid out of the limited saxophone VI instruments I have too. But but but...in the context of the song I didn't mind it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Sometimes just being a bit different defines us musically. Sets us apart from others. That is what I aim for...just a little bit of difference. A difference that will set forth emotion. I don't even have to understand the lyrics...it is the feeling, that the music transposes upon us that is important.
Your Fiddler Jones is quite different, and sets fort Lots of emotions & feeling. I really enjoyed it. Took me to another world so to speak.
It is not a melody that I would listen to over and over again. However, I know that is not the intention of this piece. It is however a melody-symphonic arrangement that I could not stop listening to while it was playing. It is a composition that left me with=feelings. The composition of the Violins Cellos beaming in and out is quite unique.
From the beginning, I thought the symphonic was a bit too stark. To cut and dry...with its melotronic violin starkness. But after a few seconds, I saw what you were trying to accomplish and the starkness became an asset as I started to...feel.
Kudos my friend. It is always quite an accomplishment to create something a little bit different.
That was very nice to hear. Thank you.

I think a lot of the power of it comes from Edgar Lee Masters words. I wanted to get the musical and performance feeling of an old, worn out half farmer/half musician, who when farming was instead obsessed with hearing in the wind and birds' song orchestras beyond even his barn-dance fiddle playing--and then we get to Master's last lines and the weighing of a life, with the weightless things being the greatest portion.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD