The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-02-2020, 05:22 PM
J Barry

Default 1/4 to XLR converter into a Zoom H5?

Anyone try this? I'm just curious. I can direct line into my Scarlett 2i4, but the convenience of recording anywhere with the Zoom makes the converter cable attractive.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-02-2020, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Anyone try this? I'm just curious. I can direct line into my Scarlett 2i4, but the convenience of recording anywhere with the Zoom makes the converter cable attractive.
By "converter" do you mean a DI [box]? That's what I'd use for most guitars. The H5 combo jack can take a LINE level 1/4" signal without an adapter, and either balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TS) will work, though you might have more noise with the latter. An XLR input is assumed to be mic level, and for a guitar (e.g.), a straight adapter cable will not match the lower impedance of a mic.

I always used passive DIs with acoustic electric guitars, electric basses, and even electric guitars going direct with my H6 and also with the F8/F8n. If the output of something is too hot (some active basses and the like), make sure to use a DI with a PAD switch and flip it on.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:29 PM
J Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
By "converter" do you mean a DI [box]? That's what I'd use for most guitars. The H5 combo jack can take a LINE level 1/4" signal without an adapter, and either balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TS) will work, though you might have more noise with the latter. An XLR input is assumed to be mic level, and for a guitar (e.g.), a straight adapter cable will not match the lower impedance of a mic.

I always used passive DIs with acoustic electric guitars, electric basses, and even electric guitars going direct with my H6 and also with the F8/F8n. If the output of something is too hot (some active basses and the like), make sure to use a DI with a PAD switch and flip it on.
I had plugged my 1/4 line into my Zoom but it didn't go all the way in so I assumed it wouldn't work. I was thinking about one of these.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-03-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had plugged my 1/4 line into my Zoom but it didn't go all the way in so I assumed it wouldn't work. I was thinking about one of these.
That's the kind of balanced cable I would use to go from the line out of my interface to a studio monitor with XLR input. The XLR input on the H5 expects a microphone signal and impedance. You can, of course, use the PAD to compensate for a hot signal, but I still think it's probably not optimal.

What are you trying to connect to the H5?

P.S. because the 1/4" part of the combo jack is expecting a TRS plug, it has two (2) contact points your plug might must be catching on the first and just needs a bit more pressure.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:33 AM
J Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
That's the kind of balanced cable I would use to go from the line out of my interface to a studio monitor with XLR input. The XLR input on the H5 expects a microphone signal and impedance. You can, of course, use the PAD to compensate for a hot signal, but I still think it's probably not optimal.

What are you trying to connect to the H5?

P.S. because the 1/4" part of the combo jack is expecting a TRS plug, it has two (2) contact points your plug might must be catching on the first and just needs a bit more pressure.
I was thinking about plugging my J-45 in directly instead of using the mics. I plugged in the line, but it didn't seem to seat fully so I didn't even bother to turn it on. I didn't want to force it.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was thinking about plugging my J-45 in directly instead of using the mics. I plugged in the line, but it didn't seem to seat fully so I didn't even bother to turn it on. I didn't want to force it.
Hi Barry
If it's a standard guitar cable it should insert into the Zoom fully. I doubt it's obstructed, but you could shine a small light down in there to see. If you have not used the inputs before, they may be tight (a good thing when it comes to making good contact).

Hope you get it remedied.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 AM
J Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Barry
If it's a standard guitar cable it should insert into the Zoom fully. I doubt it's obstructed, but you could shine a small light down in there to see. If you have not used the inputs before, they may be tight (a good thing when it comes to making good contact).

Hope you get it remedied.

I got it Larry, thanks. I tried a different cable.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD