The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Tone Dexter Version 2.0!

Hi everyone, Audio Sprockets just released firmware 2.0 and I am very impressed by it. There’s a new and improved algorithm and a new way to dial out feedback. I have more tests to do but I’ll be posting a demo on my YouTube channel at some point and also mark your calendars as James May from Audiosprockets has kindly agreed to join me for a live stream session on IR for acoustic guitars next Saturday December 5th at 4pm EST! Please subscribe to my channel and join us live if you can.

Has anyone else tried the update yet? Let me know what you think...
Old 11-27-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Hi everyone, Audio Sprockets just released firmware 2.0 and I am very impressed by it. There’s a new and improved algorithm and a new way to dial out feedback. I have more tests to do but I’ll be posting a demo on my YouTube channel at some point and also mark your calendars as James May from Audiosprockets has kindly agreed to join me for a live stream session on IR for acoustic guitars next Saturday December 5th at 4pm EST! Please subscribe to my channel and join us live if you can.

Has anyone else tried the update yet? Let me know what you think...
Thanks, Aaron, I'm going to update my TD on the morrow!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Just tried to update, and when I click on 2.0 download icon, it says “results not found”, on macbook pro, latest ios.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-27-2020, 10:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Apologies, it seems we've got a little glitch in the process. Should have it sorted out soon.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 11-27-2020, 10:36 PM

To clarify:

The notch now applies a filter at a frequency pinpointed during the training process and is unique to each wavemap, is that correct?
Old 11-27-2020, 11:47 PM

Aaron, a bit off topic but have you ever used the anthem sl or full anthem with the tru mic blended in to make a tonedexter wavemap? Your results with the anthem sl and voiceprint were pretty amazing. Just wondering how the Tonedexter would work with the tru mic.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Aaron, a bit off topic but have you ever used the anthem sl or full anthem with the tru mic blended in to make a tonedexter wavemap? Your results with the anthem sl and voiceprint were pretty amazing. Just wondering how the Tonedexter would work with the tru mic.
Haven’t tried it yet but the results with the Fishman Goldplus and the K&K are superb. I will have to try the Anthem.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

I tried a beta version, and it sounds really good.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Apologies, it seems we've got a little glitch in the process. Should have it sorted out soon.
No problem. I usually wait a while to upgrade anyway. I was just sitting there and figured “why not?” Got my answer!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-28-2020, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

We've got the issue sorted out, the V2.0 download is now working. If you by chance had a successful V2.0 download before now, please redo it as the earlier one was corrupt.

AND, we just discovered a separate issue with the WaveMap transfer utility. It is currently not working with V2.0 code, but will be fixed ASAP. Downloading V2.0 will leave your existing WaveMaps untouched, so there is no need to back them up just for that reason.

Sorry for the bother.
James May Engineering
Old 11-28-2020, 05:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
To clarify:

The notch now applies a filter at a frequency pinpointed during the training process and is unique to each wavemap, is that correct?
Almost. It's more sophisticated than that. The low end resonance profile is learned during training. Whatever is peaky below about 440Hz. It's not just one frequency but typically is several an an acoustic flat top guitar. And, it's not just the frequencies but also the exact shapes that are learned. Some are narrow, some are broad.

Below is a graph of the measured response through ToneDexter showing the low end resonance profile of my D-18 style Voyage Air. You can see the feedback reduction steps from 0% none, to 100% full in 10% increments. At none, the two main peaks are sticking up 12-13dB. At 100%, they are essentially flattened. With the notch control, you can dial up as little or as much feedback reduction and tone shaping as you need or want.

vairable feedback plot.jpg

What's mind blowing is how useful this is live. If you're having feedback, turn up the notch dial till it stops. You don't have to hunt and find the offending frequencies. If you aren't having feedback issues, then adjust to suit your preference in how much of the acoustic guitar bloom you want to hear.

I should add that up until V2.0, this same feedback mitigation was baked into every WaveMap (except those started from slot 22). With V2.0 and going forward, it is no longer baked in, but rather adjustable during live playback. Slot 22 no longer has special significance when creating new WaveMaps.
James May Engineering

Last edited by James May; 11-28-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 11-28-2020, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Review

Here is my review, I am excited to use this for my live stream concert on Sunday (tomorrow).

Last edited by AeroUSA; 11-28-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

So - I need to ask - I listened to your video on the Baggs Voiceprint, which left me with the impression that you thought it was the ultimate and virtually perfect, and now you seem to feel the Tonedexter with the new firmware is outstanding - please compare and contrast the two, and what your feelings are about them.

Personally, I have a Tonedexter, and I think any comparison that doesn’t use the UltraTonic pickup isn’t going to be very useful to me, as its inherent output and feedback resistance almost negates many of the features of either for my use, and in a band situation, I have little need of the Tonedexter - but in going for a solo, purely premium acoustic tone, I’d welcome your opinion - I’ll need to upgrade mine to this new firmware and play with it a while before I could make a judgement, and I doubt I’ll ever have a Voiceprint on-hand to compare with, but as you have easy access to both, I’d love to hear how you’d compare their relative strsngths and weaknesses -
Old 11-29-2020, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
So - I need to ask - I listened to your video on the Baggs Voiceprint, which left me with the impression that you thought it was the ultimate and virtually perfect, and now you seem to feel the Tonedexter with the new firmware is outstanding - please compare and contrast the two, and what your feelings are about them.

Personally, I have a Tonedexter, and I think any comparison that doesn’t use the UltraTonic pickup isn’t going to be very useful to me, as its inherent output and feedback resistance almost negates many of the features of either for my use, and in a band situation, I have little need of the Tonedexter - but in going for a solo, purely premium acoustic tone, I’d welcome your opinion - I’ll need to upgrade mine to this new firmware and play with it a while before I could make a judgement, and I doubt I’ll ever have a Voiceprint on-hand to compare with, but as you have easy access to both, I’d love to hear how you’d compare their relative strsngths and weaknesses -
I’m getting requests for a video comparison and I will make one but I’m trying to hold off a little while. The reason is that I really am impressed by Tone Dexter 2.0 but the Voiceprint is brand new and will improve over time. I love the Voiceprint form factor and app but the firmware is not as mature as the Tone Dexter.

I’m waiting for the ‘full’ version of the Voiceprint app to be released as well.

As it stands so far I really enjoy the VP with the K&K and Atmosfeel pickups but I’m preferring the Tone Dexter with the Goldplus.

I also have to shout out NUX for allowing the IR’s to be shared from their pedal.

There’s definitely excellent qualities in all of these products right now and they all have the potential to be improved via firmware updates. I will be covering them all on my channel going forward. The best way to see which one I’m digging at any particular time is to tune in to my concert on Sundays and see what I am using (and if you think it sounds any good lol).
Old 11-29-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
That's SO COOL James!

I listened to Aaron demo and I think you did a great job. It sounds more open than before without being harsh!!

Congratulations!
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification