The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-20-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Old 11-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
Cool! Can you tell us what they are?
Old 11-20-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Cool! Can you tell us what they are?
Some of them go way back. Here’s what I recall. From L to R: Bone and exotic wood from Randy Bretz (you can find him on Facebook), generic steel slide, glazed ceramic (don’t recall who), bone skull with accompanying coffin box is also by Randy Bretz, hand blown multi-color glass by artist (don’t recall), generic glass tube, last one is by Mudslide.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
Some of them go way back. Here’s what I recall. From L to R: Bone and exotic wood from Randy Bretz (you can find him on Facebook), generic steel slide, glazed ceramic (don’t recall who), bone skull with accompanying coffin box is also by Randy Bretz, hand blown multi-color glass by artist (don’t recall), generic glass tube, last one is by Mudslide.

Awesome!!!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:49 PM

The mudslide used to be my favourite, but the one I use the most now is the one lying at the front which I cut from a vinegar bottle. The concavity at the base was a bit of an accident when I cut it, but it rests nicely at the base of my pinky.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-23-2020, 06:37 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post

The mudslide used to be my favourite, but the one I use the most now is the one lying at the front which I cut from a vinegar bottle. The concavity at the base was a bit of an accident when I cut it, but it rests nicely at the base of my pinky.
Great stuff! Nice to see some homemade slides. Can you tell us about the others?
Old 11-23-2020, 07:35 PM

Sure! The one on the left was a gift - one side is actually rough!! - I never, ever use it. The ceramic mudslide was my favourite for a long while, I liked to use it on my reso. Two brass slides from when I first started playing slide but now I find them bulky and heavy. The two darker glass were cut off red wine bottles but the flare at the base is a bit big and the "seam" where the glass mold is joined is kind of annoying. I finally found a brand of vinegar bottle where they don't flare out, and the seam is less pronounced, so the glass ones are all from that ("Moro" brand here in Australia). I cut them with a dremel and then do some grinding and wet sanding. Probably 75% success rate but one is enough!
The only drawback is they are still a tiny bit short for me but work well in most cases. If I need to do full 6 string bar chords on the reso I'll use the Mudslide but most of the time the glass ones work great.
The lapdawg tonebar is for when I'm playing my weissenborm.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-24-2020, 07:16 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Sure! The one on the left was a gift - one side is actually rough!! - I never, ever use it. The ceramic mudslide was my favourite for a long while, I liked to use it on my reso. Two brass slides from when I first started playing slide but now I find them bulky and heavy. The two darker glass were cut off red wine bottles but the flare at the base is a bit big and the "seam" where the glass mold is joined is kind of annoying. I finally found a brand of vinegar bottle where they don't flare out, and the seam is less pronounced, so the glass ones are all from that ("Moro" brand here in Australia). I cut them with a dremel and then do some grinding and wet sanding. Probably 75% success rate but one is enough!
The only drawback is they are still a tiny bit short for me but work well in most cases. If I need to do full 6 string bar chords on the reso I'll use the Mudslide but most of the time the glass ones work great.
The lapdawg tonebar is for when I'm playing my weissenborm.
Thank you!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:13 AM

In-Laws look in disdain at my blatant waste of money on ...eeek...guitars.

So one day I played a trick on them......I showed them the new supposedly solid gold slide I had made supposedly by Tiffany Jewellery! The Better Half rustled up a Tiffany box and I put my gold plate Rockslide in the box!

Look on their faces: Priceless!

Opposite is the Harley slide I got somewhere:

DB Blue Diamond:

DB Redhouse:

Various:

And the cause of it all...the 1976 Dobro I just had to have in the 80s - officially worth about half of what I paid for it now! National Resophonics made sure of that when they started in 1989:

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 11-29-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Well, there are "bottleneck styles in either glass or metal, or real slides or "tonebars"

as I use both , I'll talk about bottlenecks first.

Below you'll see various pieces, including a whole patch of bottlenecks I've made from ...bottlenecks. I really prefer smooth, clean tone, and none felt really that good.

the Large blue one is a blue diamond made for me by Diamond Bottlenecks.com, I was touched by how cncerned they were with what I was ordering and for what kind of guitar.
Note most of my bottlenecks are over size as I like to sleeve them with leather.
the phosphor bronze one was made for me recently by a chap in Wales - I'll try to find the website/contact point. It is beautifully make and highly polished giving an excellent tone but a little light.

The Stainless steel one is fine, made for me by a friend decades ago.

Strangely, my preferred piece right now is a bog standard brass Dunlop 224 with a leather sleeve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0281.jpg (47.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0282.jpg (43.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-29-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

... and then there are slides, or steels, or "tonebars".

I have a Dobro and a Weissenborn.

For the Dobro, I have an original "Stevens" sent to me by a well wisher in the US many years ago.

It is 3" long and weighs 148g.

The other is unbranded so I have no idea where/when id came from - Very similr to the Steves - 2 & 7/8" long but 163g so good for heavier playing.

Then we have te two that I keep for my Weissenborn (made by Peter Gosdon in the UK)

The first is a Dunlop Long Dog. 3 & 1/16" long and 158g.
The other is a Dunlop S-P- (I think that is an SP2) 2 & 7/8" long and weighing 147g.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0285.jpg (24.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0284.jpg (45.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0286.jpg (26.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 12-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Guest 33123

Awesome guys!
Old 12-17-2020, 05:39 PM

Well, the hard liner bottleneckers say you cannot get the tone unless you make your own glass slide from a Mateus long neck wine bottle, after first drinking the contents!

This method includes 'gently measuring, tapping the end off' or the wilder 'thrown against the wall' and all points in between!

I got halfway....

BluesKing777.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:49 PM
Guest 33123

BK,

My DB Mike Dowling Signature is sourced from Mateus Rose bottles. It was my favorite until I got my DB Ultimate.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
BK,

My DB Mike Dowling Signature is sourced from Mateus Rose bottles. It was my favorite until I got my DB Ultimate.
Of course, Ian and crew at DB do an incredible job of cutting and polishing a bottleneck jewel!

Here is the home made roughie:

https://www.instructables.com/Homemade-Guitar-Slide/

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments