The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2020, 07:02 AM

Question Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen

I'm looking for pros and cons for this one.
Thank you.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winblows View Post
I'm looking for pros and cons for this one.
Thank you.
Think you want to post this in the "Recording" forum (or PM a Moderator and ask if they can move it for you )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-29-2020, 07:47 AM

... may be, may be not, I'm heading for scenario like
guitar -> audio interface -> PC -> software -> amplifier -> loudspeaker

Thank you.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... may be, may be not, I'm heading for scenario like
guitar -> audio interface -> PC -> software -> amplifier -> loudspeaker

Thank you.
OK so for what purpose is this signal chain to be used ? Recording , add FX and or additional tracks for performing, or recording a performance ?

I was simply advising you that the expertise about "audio interfaces", resides in significantly greater amount in the Recording Forum (regardless of intended end use, ) ... Cheers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-29-2020, 08:29 AM

I imagine that it will be easier for me to modify the guitar sound on my PC before sending it to the amplifier
Old 10-29-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I imagine that it will be easier for me to modify the guitar sound on my PC before sending it to the amplifier
I imagine it's more typical to run the guitar through the amp first to give it some EQ and reverb, then out the earphones jack to the Scarlett, to the PC, i.e., the software.... Oh wait, you monitor through the Scarlett.... I guess you could get the signal out of the computer to some speakers....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If the amp and loudspeaker you are referring to are a guitar amp and speaker, that could be a bad idea. You don't want to monitor your recordings through the guitar amp. There's also the issue of the sound of directly-recorded guitar. Without any shaping from an amp or modeler, it sounds really jangly. I've done some guitar parts that way and it can be interesting, but it isn't the classic electric guitar sound.

If you want a direct guitar sound, I think the route I would go would be to get a direct box to split the signal from your electric guitar into low impedance and high impedance legs. The low impedance leg goes to the Scarlett dry. The high impedance leg goes to the amp for you to monitor as you play. They won't sound anything like each other but the amp sound is a better reference sound to play off of. If you have re-amping software you can then change the sound of the dry recording into something with an amp in the chain.

The Scarlett is a fine preamp/interface. I'm looking at one mated with my rig right now. When I was sent home from the studio to do as much work as possible at home, that's the unit we got me for home use. It has a nice, smooth sound to it.

If you are going to do a lot of direct recording you might consider a modeler. I've been using the Line 6 Helix for nearly a year and love it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

One "pro" is Focusrite support. Easy to reach and very helpful.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

it is also easy to install.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

The hardware is really for recording using PC DAW software using either microphones or direct line in from the guitar.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-29-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

It is a great piece of kit. Simple to use, clean preamps.

Your setup is highly unusual. Not bad, of course, but unusual to put software between guitar and amp. Most software based units (like the Helix) do their own digital/analog conversion.

You probably know this, but the Scarlett is really just a clean A/D converter. I think you're using it for D/A conversion? Might be able to, not sure.

I use it for recording and podcasting. It is great.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 10-30-2020, 03:19 AM

I'm just in the imagination stage of a setup in an environment, where loudness of my guitar practicing is an issue.
So, what I'm trying to do is to make it possible practicing my guitar using a laptop PC and an interface like the Scarlett.
guitar -> Scarlett -> PC with amp software -> headphones or small speakers
Old 10-30-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm just in the imagination stage of a setup in an environment, where loudness of my guitar practicing is an issue.
So, what I'm trying to do is to make it possible practicing my guitar using a laptop PC and an interface like the Scarlett.
Yep, that ought to work! It might be worth researching any latency issues for live playing, but technically that should be a workable solution.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 10-30-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
...So, what I'm trying to do is to make it possible practicing my guitar using a laptop PC and an interface like the Scarlett.

I'm not sure what "amp software" you're talking about (but I expect there probably is such a thing). In my case (and I think more typically), replace "amp software" with "recording studio software," also known as DAW. I'm using headphones at this point. And I don't play just to listen to what I play, but to record a track. THEN, depending on the DAW, you can modify the sound of the track by adding EQ, reverb, and whatever else the DAW offers.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 PM

I've used smaller and larger Focusrite interfaces over the years, mostly under MacOS, though I have a 2i2 on my mixing and mastering Windows 10 PC right now where it serves as the sound interface to my monitors and headphones.

I think they're good value and work reliably.

I used to use that 2i2 in my "Studio B" (my small bedroom converted into home office) where I often do in-the-box recording, and overdubs and added tracks to things recorded in my studio space. Awhile back I changed over to a IK Multimeida Axe I/O.

Axe I/O at Sweetwater

There are a number of things that might better fit your plans with this device over the Scarlett. The Axe I/O "Z-tone" impedance knob seems to help DI electric guitar match better in some magic way (someone who knows more may be able to tell us why) it has a handy front-mounted amp out 1/4 jack that might help you. It even has a built in tuner. You can hook up two expression pedals (think assignable volume or wah controller for software effects).

Their goal was an small interface focused for needs of guitar players (I'd add electric guitar players) and it does have some features that back that up.

I hoped it would make my DI electric guitars sound/"feel" better when I'm overdubbing, and I think it did. It also has a mic input, which I like fine,

It comes with some decent software, including a copy of Amplitube 4 Deluxe, which despite it's "Deluxe" name is mostly a platform for fx and amp model content you can purchase separately, but it's still something you may want to try (there enough included to try) and the Abelton Live Lite and some T-Racks plug ins are nice throw ins too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars