The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
True. IR are made for linear response pickup. The response of a mag pickup is not linear, because each string experience a comb filtering that is different. Google “pickup comb filter till” and you will find a clear explanation. To have the same benefit you would a need a Hex mag pickup and 6 IR pedals with corresponding IR file for each string....
However there are some IR presets that come already packaged in the Optima air for magnetic pickups. Wonder why they included those?
Old 11-18-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
However there are some IR presets that come already packaged in the Optima air for magnetic pickups. Wonder why they included those?
To sell stuff to the ignorant

Audiosprockets and James May, unlike Nux, have always been very transparent about that:
Quote:
ToneDexter only works as intended with piezo pickups (all types and mounting locations). Magnetic pickups will sometimes give pleasing results, but they won’t sound nearly as natural as with a piezo.
Check pickup that don't work, on Audiosprockets website:
https://audiosprockets.com/support/pickup-guidance/
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-18-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think they are intended for electric guitars, to make them sound more ‘acoustic’. It has a slight effect but does not make my Strat sound like an acoustic. It just hollows the sound slightly.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Is the effects loop such that the signal passes through it or is just applied to the signal chain? What I mean by that is to ask if something like compression could be applied effectively in the loop.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 AM

Default Help

Hi
when I want to download a wav from the software, loading remains displayed and nothing happens: any advice please give me on the right way to do it? thank you

http://www.imagup.free.fr/?v=nuxoptimaa.jpg

Last edited by giusepe; 11-23-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:03 AM

Hi,

my NUX is here for a week. Itīs handsome, smaller than my old D.I., the reverb is okay. But there are some things, I donīt really understand.

When I step on the right button (green light), the IR comes in. Thatīs how I thought it would - but it even comes in, when I turned the blend knob to zero. Am I doing something wrong?

My second issue is the preamp. With "everything on twelve" it sounds absolutely different to "no preamp" (red light off). I wanted the preamp as a simple boost, it doesnīt work that way. Again: Something wrong?

cu

erniecaster
Old 12-26-2020, 05:44 AM

From what I understood there is no blend button
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-26-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
Hi,

my NUX is here for a week. Itīs handsome, smaller than my old D.I., the reverb is okay. But there are some things, I donīt really understand.

When I step on the right button (green light), the IR comes in. Thatīs how I thought it would - but it even comes in, when I turned the blend knob to zero. Am I doing something wrong?

My second issue is the preamp. With "everything on twelve" it sounds absolutely different to "no preamp" (red light off). I wanted the preamp as a simple boost, it doesnīt work that way. Again: Something wrong?

cu

erniecaster
Hi Erniecaster,
The knob you are a calling blend is actually IR Level. It does not change the blended signal, but the strength of the IR in the mix. Sounds like that signal strength and IR blend would have the same meaning, but it’s slightly different.
And you are correct, it does not go to zero with no IR.

The preamp actually has some preset factors saved in the memory. Try rotating the knobs all the way in both directions and then back to 12:00/neutral. This should clear out the saved settings and add no color to the sound. Then save the neutral position as a preset with the boosted gain. Then you can go forward backward in the presets for boost/no boost.

Let me know if that works and I will help where I can.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:41 PM

Not to rain on the parade, but I ended up selling the NUX. Just didn't work for me personally.

I hope you guys have better luck!
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 12-26-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
The knob you are a calling blend is actually IR Level. It does not change the blended signal, but the strength of the IR in the mix. Sounds like that signal strength and IR blend would have the same meaning, but it’s slightly different.
And you are correct, it does not go to zero with no IR.

The preamp actually has some preset factors saved in the memory. Try rotating the knobs all the way in both directions and then back to 12:00/neutral. This should clear out the saved settings and add no color to the sound. Then save the neutral position as a preset with the boosted gain. Then you can go forward backward in the presets for boost/no boost.

Let me know if that works and I will help where I can.
Hey Marty,
I just got the unit a week ago. After one week I have come to some conclusions that are backed up by your post.
The IR knob is a "blend" in that it does increase the effect - like wet/dry in a reverb except like you pointed out the "dry" (zero) signal is not dry at all but seems to start at 5-10% - weird.
Also on the IR, I wonder why the amount is not saved as a preset. The IR seems to be global for all, which makes no sense.

It has been interesting creating my own IR. First I tried two mics (Condenser+dynamic) got a lot of "flubby" notes.
Then tried just the dynamic from further away and processed thru Studio One 's fat channel (Condenser / EQ/ Limiter.) That had a very high pitched sound like the coils in a tweeter were vibrating.
Finally went back to condenser mic from further away so that both meters were about 60% and got some good recordings in the IR's.
Then I set the IR level to -3db and the IR "blend knob" to about 11 o'clock.

The EQ is very good and sensitive. For example Initially I set everything to 50 on all knobs then save the preset. I do this so that the EQ is active and can be changed on the fly. If you save a preset without EQ on then in preset mode you stomp on the amp footswitch but it changes preset, mind you, you only do this once (or twice )
Old 12-27-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonyrat View Post
Hey Marty,
I just got the unit a week ago. After one week I have come to some conclusions that are backed up by your post.
The IR knob is a "blend" in that it does increase the effect - like wet/dry in a reverb except like you pointed out the "dry" (zero) signal is not dry at all but seems to start at 5-10% - weird.
Also on the IR, I wonder why the amount is not saved as a preset. The IR seems to be global for all, which makes no sense.

It has been interesting creating my own IR. First I tried two mics (Condenser+dynamic) got a lot of "flubby" notes.
Then tried just the dynamic from further away and processed thru Studio One 's fat channel (Condenser / EQ/ Limiter.) That had a very high pitched sound like the coils in a tweeter were vibrating.
Finally went back to condenser mic from further away so that both meters were about 60% and got some good recordings in the IR's.
Then I set the IR level to -3db and the IR "blend knob" to about 11 o'clock.

The EQ is very good and sensitive. For example Initially I set everything to 50 on all knobs then save the preset. I do this so that the EQ is active and can be changed on the fly. If you save a preset without EQ on then in preset mode you stomp on the amp footswitch but it changes preset, mind you, you only do this once (or twice )
I have not had the best results recording my own IR. The IR files that I downloaded from Cuki’s program were better. One that was created by JFields ( I think and apologize if wrong) seem to work best with my Taylor.

But honestly, I get good results without the IR and just using the Preamp and saving presets with EQ adjusted to my liking. If I do use the IR, it is set very low. The preamp is very sensitively, as you mentioned. A little goes a long way and each knob seems to affect a wide band. Give the bass a little boost and a lot shows up in the mids. Seems like they each overlap a lot.

I do like the reverb. Again a little seems to go a long way.

I have a few days off now and plan to experiment some more. If I find some additional success, I will share what I learn.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Would be nice if NU-X gave us the ability to save the 9 presets and load them.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Would be nice if NU-X gave us the ability to save the 9 presets and load them.
Hi Anonyrat,
Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, I think this is doable.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:57 AM

Hey Marty,
You didn't misunderstand what I said, I genuinely do not know how to save / load them.
Would appreciate it if you explained it and tomorrow morning I will try it out.
Cheers.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Hey Marty,
You didn't misunderstand what I said, I genuinely do not know how to save / load them.
Would appreciate it if you explained it and tomorrow morning I will try it out.
Cheers.
Two ways
1. Make the adjustments and press the select knob twice. This will save the preset, but it saves only in the preset mode. This means you need to press the amp and the IR foot switch together to reach the preset mode. Then you can move forward/back through presets using the amp foot switch to move forward and the IR to move back in the presets.
2. You can make and save presets using the app on your PC when the Optima Air is connected to the PC. I think there is a few You Tube videos on how this can be done. Maybe it was in the one Aaron made.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification