The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

I just watched an hour long interview with Phil Keaggy on Youtube withSteve Krenz (Learn and Master Guitar course guy). What I really noticed with Phil Keaggy more than anyone else that Steve has interviewed, is that he was almost like a little kid, just wanting to play his guitar. They would get into some conversation and Steve would ask a question or two. Phil would answer him and then right away, say "let's play something". When Steve was talking to the listening audience (these are done live), Phil would be constantly noodling/playing. Phil Keaggy came across as being a very playful guy, especially with the guitar. He likes to experiment, always "taking it in new directions", even with older tunes.

Phil Keaggy's attitude in that video, more than any words could convey, is (to me) the essence of what it takes to get somewhere musically on the guitar. I learned more from watching him that I would from reading a pile of books or watching more DVDs.

Here is that link for those interested:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNUitY7e4A8

One other thing I got from Phil Keaggy in this video was to tune my guitar down a half step. To me, the result is a bit like going from the high sounds of a violin to the rich sonority of a viola (which I personally much prefer). I know many players have been doing this for some time (Hendrix, SRV, etc.), but for some reason, I just had to try it when I finished watching the video.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-13-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I just watched an hour long interview with Phil Keaggy on Youtube withSteve Krenz ...

Here is that link for those interested:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNUitY7e4A8

One other thing I got from Phil Keaggy in this video was to tune my guitar down a half step. To me, the result is a bit like going from the high sounds of a violin to the rich sonority of a viola (which I personally much prefer). I know many players have been doing this for some time (Hendrix, SRV, etc.), but for some reason, I just had to try it when I finished watching the video.

Tony
Thanks for the video link. I'll definitely watch it.

Regarding tuning down a half step, wonder if someone like me who uses light gauge strings would need to move to mediums to do that. I assume Phil uses mediums. My old fingers can't take 'em but perhaps could if tuned down.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-14-2016, 11:33 AM

I wish everybody could see that youtube. they would come to appreciate this player.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post

Regarding tuning down a half step, wonder if someone like me who uses light gauge strings would need to move to mediums to do that. I assume Phil uses mediums. My old fingers can't take 'em but perhaps could if tuned down.
I use light gauge strings (D'Addario EJ-16) and they work fine. If you are able to handle open tunings such as DADGAD, open G, open D, etc., without problems, you should be fine.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have a Ehlers SJ has a 25.4" scale length, I keep it tuned down one full step
for some songs, I use the new Elixer HD Light gage strings, works out well.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:14 PM

Hope you all don’t mind me bumping this older thread - OP by M19.
Phil Keaggy one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

The video in the original post is extraordinary.
I can’t believe how good that Olson guitar sounds with capos on.
Of course, Phil could make a cigar box and rubber bands sound good.

Regards
-Takamine EAN40c-12
Old 04-21-2020, 02:22 PM

On a personal note, I have had the opportunity to see Phil a number of times and even speak with him. He is a very humble and genuine guy.
His musicianship and guitar playing is unassailable. I wish he would just play and sing more straight up though. His infatuation with loopers and technology is too much for me. It’s what he loves to do, but he really shines when he just plays acoustically and sings.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-21-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

When I saw this thread, and that I was the OP I thought...OK, when did I do that?

Does this make me the father of a zombie, or the zombie himself?
Old 04-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've seen him a couple of times and worked with him a few. He is very, very humble and kind. One of my favorite memories of him was when he flew in to play on a show I was working. He was delivered to the TV studio from the adjacent hotel for an early soundcheck, long before the hotel was serving breakfast. They got him through hair and makeup and spit him out to the studio. He worked with us and got the soundcheck nicely and then there was downtime. I say downtime but that meant just for him because the studio crew swirled around him madly preparing for the show. I had the mics up and went out to check on his foldback. He was just sitting there on set, quietly watching the controlled chaos fly around him. I checked with him and he was pleased with everything. As I left the set he quietly asked nobody in particular (because there was no-one near him) and everyone in general in that little voice, "Um, does anyone know how I could get something for breakfast?" Via my open mics the guest coordinator heard his little voice and immediately got his breakfast working by sending someone to take his order and bring it in.

Another time, after the show, I caught him in another room and he had his Olson, sitting in the open case on the floor. It had a chocolate cedar top and was really beat to death. I asked him about it and he said, "Oh, yeah. I love it, but this is the last gig with it. I'm retiring it. James has built me another. A little while later a video showed up where he was just getting the new guitar back from being set up by his technician/luthier. He played it and thanked the tech for a great set up. The tech was my tech, Kenny Marshall. Turns out they are friends from way back in the '70s when they played the same stages. When he worked at Zion, Kenny custom built Phil's white Zion electric that Phil plays to this day.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Great stories as always, Bob.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:55 PM

I've seen Phil a bunch of times over the years, mostly with GH, but some PK Band and duo stuff, too. First time was in 1971 when GH opened for Humble Pie at John Carroll University Gym.

The first duo thing was with that Peter York kid he picked up hitchhiking, The show was produced by and old friend of mine, and included Richie Haven and McKendree Spring on the bill.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
First time was in 1971 when GH opened for Humble Pie at John Carroll University Gym.
I think I was at that show. They kind of blur together a bit, I saw them so many times, but that one rings a bell.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I received an email yesterday about a 30 per cent off sale on some of Phil's instructional materials. I tried to post the link here but it doesn't work. The email was from Truefire, and it looks like the course is on Jamplay. Here is the text of the email.

Save 30% On Phil Keaggy's JamPlay Course
This is a special offer for TrueFire Students from our sister company, JamPlay!

About the Course
Take the opportunity to explore a Master Course from one of the best musicians to grace the guitar. A JamPlay.com exclusive, this 45 lesson course will cover the songs, techniques, and styles that have defined the history of Phil Keaggy. With 45 years of touring and 70+ studio albums, Phil is one of the most admired guitarists in music.

If you are a Phil Keaggy fan, this course was designed for you. Engineered to cover everything from acoustic rhythms and melodies, to electric guitar effects and leads, we cover the signature styles of Mr. Keaggy.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think I was at that show. They kind of blur together a bit, I saw them so many times, but that one rings a bell.
The one thing about that show that I still see very clearly in my mind was Humble Pie's backline. As as young, impressionable teenager, six full stacks of Marshall and four Acoustic 360/361 amps totally floored me.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
Being in Southern California, my first exposure to Phil Keaggy was in the 70's
during his time playing in Love Song.

I've had the opportunity to see him quite a few times over the years, often in
very small intimate settings.

He's an incredible guitarist, a thoughtful singer/songwriter,

Most impressive is that in every setting I've seen him in on and off stage,
he's a most sincere and humble gentleman.
Keaggy in Love Song! Good stuff. My first exposure to Keaggy was thru a buddy at the University of Kansas - the "What A Day" album. Still one of my favourites. I now have a lot more of his albums (on digital). It's not just the guitar playing - it's the lyrics and his voice, for me. (I was also introduced to Larry Norman and the Resurrection Band, same day I first heard "What A Day". What a day, hey?!)

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN