The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM

I play nylon string guitars (classical and hybrid), steel string guitars (6 and 12 string) and electric guitars. But I suppose I play more nylon string than anything - I mainly use nylon strings for day-to-day practice and probably half my repertoire is played on nylon string guitars (although I don't play classical music on them).
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM

Predominantly nylon for the last 3 years, since getting a guitar that was complex enough to sustain my attention.

I'm drawn towards a lot of the modern nylon repertoire and while nylon is a pig to play vs steel string (no sustain for a start), it's hugely rewarding exactly because of the very considerable challenges presented.

Ultimately, the type of guitar I play is dictated by the tunes I want to learn. The axe is secondary. Since I play most days, there's plenty of time for steel-string as well.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Predominantly nylon for the last 3 years, since getting a guitar that was complex enough to sustain my attention.

I'm drawn towards a lot of the modern nylon repertoire and while nylon is a pig to play vs steel string (no sustain for a start), it's hugely rewarding exactly because of the very considerable challenges presented.

Ultimately, the type of guitar I play is dictated by the tunes I want to learn. The axe is secondary. Since I play most days, there's plenty of time for steel-string as well.

Cheers,
Steve
Well put Steve, and I agree.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 PM

Just another opinion for what it's worth. These days I almost solely play classical (nylon-string rather than the repertoire, not that I don't respect and admire the latter) and find the sustain not so much lacking as flexible. I came to guitar from mandolin, though, and tend not to like a lot of sustain. Classical feels right in the middle to me between mandolin and steel-string acoustic and seems to combine the agility of the former with the power of the latter (at least with good instruments).
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM

Ive always been a nylon string guy,, i like classical guitar,
but i play primarily Chet Atkins kind of stuff,

Rick
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Are you primarily a classical player or just meddle with one?

I am a student of the nylon string guitar. I noodle around with steel, but I am serious about the nylon development. Nylon takes 90percent of my practice time.

Love all of it though...

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 AM

A professional meddler!
Have played classical for 20 years and just starting to get into steel string a bit.
I like to think of the guitar or the guitarist as not limited to a genre, instrument or whatever. I think a pioneer of this appraoach was Lenny Breau - none has really followed in his footsteps.
Nowadays when I gig I play all kinds of stuff on classical including jazz stadnards like take5 and mix that in with Tarrega, Gerswhin etc try to keep interesting and fun for the listener.

I have found a happy medium in using nails on both steel string and nylon by the way - I was told it couldn't be done - it just take plenty of caring for them.

Steve

Website
|
Downloads | Youtube | Soundcloud
Guitars : Yairi CY118 │ Maton M225 │ Taylor GC11
Recording│Sony SX712Sound Forge | Sony Vegas
Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Are you primarily a classical player or just meddle with one?

My main instrument is 6-string electric bass. I have been playing/practicing on classical for a few years now, and have found that switching between bass and guitar is very complimentary to each other, and has expanded my musicality and technique on both instruments.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM

I'm a meddler now but I did play and practice seriously on my classical guitar back when I first got it...almost (cough, cough) 40 years ago now. (Wow, that makes me feel real old when I just come right out and say it like that.) I played actual classical pieces and I also tried to learn flamenco (but with much less success). I even performed a piece on stage in front of audiences a couple of times. But the piece was not actuallly classical, rather my own transciption of Mason William's Classical Gas.
I really should get back into practising with it but my newish Strat and my synths are taking up all my free time. I'll have to put some new strings on it first, though!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM

nylon all the way, even my banjo...except for my 12 string...just bought a Cordoba C-5...waiting for it to arrive
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM

I almost play exclusively classical now. Although I will never sell my steel strings and like to pick them up once in a while.

By way of background, I have no formal schooling (aside from a year or so of piano as a kid). Started off on a ukulele as a whim purchase on vacation several years ago. Moved onto steel string and decided I really like solo / fingerstyle. At the behest of a friend, I tried my hand at electric but decided very quickly that I liked the complete opposite and ended up with my first classical. I haven't looked back since. Just finished learning Ave Maria (Schubert) and can't wait to get it down to performance standard. The pieces can be quite a challenge for me personally (Ave Maria took a little over a month just to memorize) but I can't even begin to describe the satisfaction I feel when I can play it fluently ... honestly, I can just listen to myself play all day. My wife and others may feel differently though LOL.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM

Default MY Classical background

I played classical exclusively for just shy of 9 years. Then I set it aside for my Martins again. Performed for a couple of years with the steel strings after setting aside my Paulino Bernabe model 50 for awhile. Yet again .....I changed back to classical for another 6 years. I've been back to my Martins for the past 1 1/2 yrs now.

My personal advise is to find a great teacher. I studies with two excellent ones for about 6 years. It's the ONLY way you're going to play the instrument properly. I sure as hell never needed any help with rock or blues. Do you know your right and left hand technique?? It took me close to two yrs to acquire proper technique for those **** hands. I loved playing scales.....it's very "Zen".

Good Luck, Musicfan49

Martin 00028 (2012), Martin 00016 (2009), Epiphone Cortez (1965), Dauphin Classical (1982), Japanese copy of a Fender Telecaster (1970)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejazzx View Post
A professional meddler!
Have played classical for 20 years and just starting to get into steel string a bit.
I like to think of the guitar or the guitarist as not limited to a genre, instrument or whatever. I think a pioneer of this appraoach was Lenny Breau - none has really followed in his footsteps.
Nowadays when I gig I play all kinds of stuff on classical including jazz stadnards like take5 and mix that in with Tarrega, Gerswhin etc try to keep interesting and fun for the listener.

I have found a happy medium in using nails on both steel string and nylon by the way - I was told it couldn't be done - it just take plenty of caring for them.

Steve
I should have included that as a Poll option!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM

I must say I am much surprised of the majority of "nylon strings" players against "steel strings".
I would have thought the opposite (don't know why..).

Anyway, the firtst guitar I ever bought was a Yamaha classical and was happy with it and played it for over a year until, one day... I was walking through a park in town and 3 kids about my age were sitting under a big tree with guitars. From a distance I could not make the type of guitars they were playing but the sound hit me over the head like a baseball bat! I want that sound, I said to myself!

Getting close to them revealed the 2 steel strings acoustics they were playing (can't remember the make).
Within a week my classical was sold... I went trough 2 Landola (cheap models) until a few months later I settled for a Yamaha FG160.

Fast forward 20 years... I start a 3 Years Music Degree Course... Classical Guitar is the only guitar allowed on the course... so I take classical guitar lessons for 8 months prior to the start of the year, buy myself a P. Bernabe and off I go for three years of intense study of classical guitar music.

Now? Don't play the classical much at all but I am still capable.. keep my nails in shape and regularly practice, since I teach guitar as a living and must keep in good form.

Main guitars are still 6 & 12 steel strings but I play also electric and bass.. for fun even ukes and bouzuki
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM

In terms of playing time, I am probably 75% steel string and 25% nylon. My original lessons were from a classical guitarist. That said, I play a lot of classical music on my steel string when I am doing finger-style, which is mostly what I play. Strum and sing is infrequent for me. Actually trying to devote more time to the nylon string and I am playing a good bit on ukulele as well. Actually most of the fingerstyle jazz I play is on nylon.

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical