The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-06-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Alternate Strings and Tuning for Seagull M4

So, I received a Seagull M4 (dulcimer guitar hybrid) over the holidays (okay, actually closer to February, thanks Guitar Center!), and it took a bit of research but it seems that it has:
  • .025 D
  • .016 A
  • .012 D
  • .012 D
For an open D (or fun droning) tuning.

This is all well and good, but I'd sometimes like to play in something other than D.

Does anyone here have experience using heavier or lighter gauge strings for higher or lower tunings. The neck doesn't look like too much tension would be a great idea, and I don't recall there being a truss rod.

Other than just taking the lot of them up or down a whole step I'd also like to play with altering the tuning of the upper course (currently unison D) to maybe fourths (D & G maybe).

What's confusing about this is while the gauges I listed were the most common I found (Seagull was actually no help), one site listed .048 for the low D. My thought is, if that's the D below the low E on a guitar... a tentative maybe, but if it's the "low D" on the M4... um, no. That's tuned to the normal D on a guitar, so cranking a .048 that tight just seems bound to cause problems.

Anyone here have much experience with these or know of a more dedicated Seagull/M4 forum?

Otherwise, have to say, it's quite a lot of fun, nearly impossible to put down, though a bit more range would be nice.

Thanks,
-SZ
Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Have you tried using a string tension calculator? A quick search told me that the scale length of the Merlin is 20.75" and using your given string gauges and pitches (and basing on D'Addario phosphor bronze strings) the total string tension is 56.63 lbs (specifically 19.82 lbs for the low D, 12.25 lbs for the A and 12.28 lbs for each of the high D strings). Now that the individual string and total tension are known (and the scale length won't change) you can play with other pitches and string diameters to achieve the tuning you would like...

There are a number of calculators online...pick one and play with the numbers!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 AM

I don't have any experience with this instrument, but I'd leave the double course tuned in unison. In DAD tuning, your scale starts on the D string and just goes right up the neck. If you tune the A down to G, you'll have DGD which will put you in G Major. From there, tune the Ds down to C and you're in C major. Proceed at your own risk, but you might be able to take DAD up to EAE and play in A Major. You might find some more ideas with cigar box guitars as many are 3-stringers.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Though I generally leave mine in DAD, DGD is fun too. If I were to leave it in DGD I would use a heavier string for the G than the A. As it is, they ship with lighter strings than I would prefer, but the neck is pretty beefy so it'll take a range of gauges in my opinion. Simply put, gauge up for tuning down.

I did briefly experiment with DGB but found it too guitar/banjo like.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyZ View Post
So, I received a Seagull M4 (dulcimer guitar hybrid) over the holidays <>For an open D (or fun droning) tuning.

This is all well and good, but I'd sometimes like to play in something other than D.

<>

Anyone here have much experience with these or know of a more dedicated Seagull/M4 forum?

Otherwise, have to say, it's quite a lot of fun, nearly impossible to put down, though a bit more range would be nice.

Thanks,
-SZ
You can tune the Ds & As down to Cs & Gs to play in C, no string change required, or up to Es & Bs to play in E, may need lighter strings depending how taut the strings are now at DAD. Tuning the As to Gs as bkepler and Mooh suggest will give you the key of G.

Jean Ritchie's The Dulcimer Book is ancient (1974!) but still in print & full of useful information.

https://www.amazon.com/Dulcimer-Book.../dp/0825600162

Dulcimer forum should be helpful:

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-07-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:26 AM

I admit I don't play my Merlin much, and have never experimented with alternate tunings. It seems the strings are pretty taut now, so I wouldn't try tuning up at all.
Because of the diatonic scale of the frets, trying a different string than the unison onee would probably not lend itself to anything but straight-across fretting - note also that those 2 high strings are spaced closer together.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Default Tune it up?

I use both D-A-DD and E-B-EE and it works very well either way. Fun little instrument.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:52 PM

I leave mine at factory specs. I would always tune down rather than up on any instrument I wasn't sure about.

I've had mine a few years. First thing I did was get a CD of old "sea shanties" at the library. Perfect for the M4!

Old 08-16-2021, 04:49 AM

Default Merlin Newbie

Hi,

Total guitar newbie.

Not sure where else to post this. Hope someone sees it since this other post is old. I just got a mahogany Merlin and plan on tinkering with the frets or tuning in the future once I have a grasp on things to make it more “chromatic” -

What, in that case, besides the sound and bundled two strings would make it different than a Cigar Box guitar?
Old 08-16-2021, 01:50 PM

The OP called it a dulcimer/guitar hybrid. I don't know how "guitar" it is. I would enjoy it for what it is. Amazon has at least 3 Merlin songbooks.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.

Last edited by sabatini; 08-16-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:55 PM

I really like my Merlin (now M4) mahogany version. I tune it in the stock tuning and it projects very well for such a small and thin bodied instrument. Thought about alternate tunings and alternate strings but haven't done those changes. Did toy with the idea of adding frets for an extended scale, there were a couple of youtube videos at one time of this mod but I haven't searched for them lately. The OP (3 or 4 years back) asked about forums for the M4, there is a group I found, not a lot of activity but some information and posts...link that follows...

https://merliner.co.uk/categories
Old 08-16-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceofkates View Post
Hi,

Total guitar newbie.

Not sure where else to post this. Hope someone sees it since this other post is old. I just got a mahogany Merlin and plan on tinkering with the frets or tuning in the future once I have a grasp on things to make it more “chromatic” -

What, in that case, besides the sound and bundled two strings would make it different than a Cigar Box guitar?
Did a search on youtube and found several videos on adding frets to the M4 Merlin instrument, I haven't done these but thought about it and it might be fun....cheers

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...seagull+merlin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments