The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I started with the sound clip, but finished with the video, and am glad I did. I like the black and white, the darknes...it all suited the beautiful, lush and dark sound of the guitar. It was a pleasure to watch. Thanks very much for sharing that!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Nice guitar and nice playing and cool video to show the building of the guitar.

Veillette Baritone 6
Veillette Baritone 12
Veillette Terz 6
Veillette Terz 12 (in progress)
Veillette Gryphon 12
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 654ce
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Just wanted to bump up this thread with the video and sound clip for Druim Lochmangie:

http://youtu.be/PUsybHhCf3I
That was total immersion, Mau! Very well done... That was awesome!

- Glenn
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 PM

Wherever, whatever or whomever be Druim Lochmaighe, I'm a fan... a beautiful piece, Mau... one of those songs that I never want to end. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
Really nice stuff.
Merci!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I started with the sound clip, but finished with the video, and am glad I did. I like the black and white, the darknes...it all suited the beautiful, lush and dark sound of the guitar. It was a pleasure to watch. Thanks very much for sharing that!
Thanks, Mike!

I actually use B&W because I find it much easier to control. I try to give my videos a consistent look so that was the main rationale behind my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodco View Post
Nice guitar and nice playing and cool video to show the building of the guitar.
Thanks for dropping by, Rod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That was total immersion, Mau! Very well done... That was awesome!

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn! I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Wherever, whatever or whomever be Druim Lochmaighe, I'm a fan... a beautiful piece, Mau... one of those songs that I never want to end. Thank you.
Well, if you don't believe me, just Google it... LOL

Thanks for your words of encouragement!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM

I just emailed Ray and told him your Kraut is King... Just great music... Cant wait for more...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Really like this tune, great playing!

Joe are you recording audio in GB or some other app and syncing up the video with the hand clap trick? Just got the apogee mic but haven't really had time to mess with it.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Great job! Your playing the guitar sound wonderful.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
I just emailed Ray and told him your Kraut is King... Just great music... Cant wait for more...
I'm sure Ray must think that his next builds will always be "better" -- but I certainly won't argue with you...

Thank you for your kind comments on the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bords View Post
Really like this tune, great playing!

Joe are you recording audio in GB or some other app and syncing up the video with the hand clap trick? Just got the apogee mic but haven't really had time to mess with it.
Merci!

I do everything in GB and iMovie.

As for the workflow, it is different because of the limitations of the iPad.

I typically leave a few bars of silence at the beginning of the sound clip (you'll understand why as you try to set up an intro page in iMovie for iPad). There is no sound editing in iMovie so the sound clip that you import from GB must be "final" -- so the hand clapping won't work, at least not for the audio.

I typically use the "say hello" technique and waive to the camera before each take. That way I can quickly browse through the video and know where to start my fine tuning.

As for the fine tuning, I do it manually (the only option in this situation). I initially thought it was overkill but it usually takes a few tries and you're set.

My explanations will make more sense to you as you work with the software. This is not the typical workflow for multimedia.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
Great job! Your playing the guitar sound wonderful.

Kindly,
Danny
Coming from one of the most skilled fingerstylists I have ever heard, I'll take it!

Thanks, Danny!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Guest 213

Hi, Joe,

As you know, we all greatly appreciate and enjoy your video and audio of you playing your arrangements of these lovely pieces. I know at least one person had asked whether you had tabs of these arrangements. I can't remember exactly what you said, but it was along the lines of..."no" Well, as you know, I've done quite of bit of tabbing by ear (see my website), and I'd love to tab out some of your arrangements. I'd like to choose one (not sure which yet) and send it to you when done. If you like what you see, I'd be happy to tab more and you could link them on your website, SoundCloud, etc. Let me know what you think.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Hi, Joe,

As you know, we all greatly appreciate and enjoy your video and audio of you playing your arrangements of these lovely pieces. I know at least one person had asked whether you had tabs of these arrangements. I can't remember exactly what you said, but it was along the lines of..."no" Well, as you know, I've done quite of bit of tabbing by ear (see my website), and I'd love to tab out some of your arrangements. I'd like to choose one (not sure which yet) and send it to you when done. If you like what you see, I'd be happy to tab more and you could link them on your website, SoundCloud, etc. Let me know what you think.
Hi Jon,

Thanks so much for the offer.

There's a couple of reasons why I haven't done it so far.

First of all, most of the "on the fly" covers that I play are ridiculously simple. Second graders of the classical school would laugh at it. It's just me playing a melody and some chords, it's not even an arrangement.

As for the fancier stuff that I play (mostly my own music or very creative arrangements that took some amount of work), it would take me way too much time and energy to come up with something that is reliable and clear enough.

If you have the time and interest to transcribe some of my music, I would be honoured -- but I must warn you that I'm extremely picky about accuracy and visual appearance. If you're still up for the challenge, by all means...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks so much for the offer.

There's a couple of reasons why I haven't done it so far.

First of all, most of the "on the fly" covers that I play are ridiculously simple. Second graders of the classical school would laugh at it. It's just me playing a melody and some chords, it's not even an arrangement.

As for the fancier stuff that I play (mostly my own music or very creative arrangements that took some amount of work), it would take me way too much time and energy to come up with something that is reliable and clear enough.

If you have the time and interest to transcribe some of my music, I would be honoured -- but I must warn you that I'm extremely picky about accuracy and visual appearance. If you're still up for the challenge, by all means...
Ok, in that case, I'd rather you pick one of your recorded compositions or arrangements for my "trial run." PM me a link and tell me what tuning the song is in, and I'll probably have you something by next week. I'm very picky about accuracy and appearance too (with Sibelius 6, pretty much anything is possible), though maybe you go beyond my own standards But I think it will be fun to give it a go and see if we can reach something you're happy with.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Ok, in that case, I'd rather you pick one of your recorded compositions or arrangements for my "trial run." PM me a link and tell me what tuning the song is in, and I'll probably have you something by next week. I'm very picky about accuracy and appearance too (with Sibelius 6, pretty much anything is possible), though maybe you go beyond my own standards But I think it will be fun to give it a go and see if we can reach something you're happy with.
You're a brave man...

I personally would love to see a transcription of one of my originals, like this tune: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts/la-traversee

But I think most people would find it more useful and interesting to have the tab for Si Bheag Si Mhor. I did a simple version for Cocobolo John (which you can find here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73365238/TE...DGAD%20TAB.pdf) but it's missing most of the performance notes and ornaments. It also looks unprofessional for a number of reasons (e.g. notes not being grouped properly).

Everything in DADGAD.

Last edited by JoeCharter; 01-03-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
You're a brave man...

I personally would love to see a transcription of one of my originals, like this tune: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts/la-traversee

But I think most people would find it more useful and interesting to have the tab for Si Bheag Si Mhor. I did a simple version for Cocobolo John (which you can find here: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts/la-traversee) but it's missing most of the performance notes and ornaments. It also looks unprofessional for a number of reasons (e.g. notes not being grouped properly).

Everything in DADGAD.
Your 2nd link is the same as the first. I'd like to see what you had, but will definitely give Si Bheag Si Mhor a try! Just a warning though, I don't use 40% reverb in my tabs
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop