The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Default ebony bridge with hairline crack - repair or replace?

Noticed this crack today:

The saddle sits a little loose in that slot. If that is because the bridge split or if the split is the result of the loose saddle, I can't tell.

The guitar is eight months old, I got it last winter. I have a hygrometer and and use a room humidifier and made sure not to be under 40%, which _might_ have been the case for a couple of days. (Of course, now that I notice the crack we're in the 50+, even 60+ range.)

Can this be glued? Or is the definitive solution to make a new bridge with a smaller slot (so the saddle won't rock)?
(Aside: I'd like to have a wider string spacing at the bridge. Should be easy while the bridge is replaced anyway?)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 PM

Looks like some type of import guitar, correct? If it were me, and it was only that small crack, I would glue it and clamp the crack closed (have to get creative with that). And then, if the saddle is too loose, make a thicker saddle, not a narrower slot. The saddle leaning forward i in the slot probably caused the crack.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 PM

Replace

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM

Default saddle thickness

I've had good results in shimming a saddle's thickness to a firm but removable fit by applying 'magic tape', sold as a less visible alternative to plain cellophane tape.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Judging from the short distance between the pins and the saddle, and the presence of ramps in the slots, I suspect this guitar had a pretty high break angle. This puts a lot of tipping force on the top of the saddle. The slot is pretty close to the front of the bridge, as well; not a lot of wood to resist that tipping force. Even if the saddle was tight in the slot the bridge could esaily have cracked, and if it was even a little loose the chances would be higher. I'd replace that bridge, and, at very least, not ramp the slots next time. You don't really need as much break angle as many people seem to think, and this is what you risk when you have more than enough.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:21 AM

The shape of that bridge is very simplistic, so dead easy to copy.

Once it’s off, thin it down and use it as a template for making the new bridge.

Example

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 AM

I contacted the luthier who made that guitar, he will take care of it. Thanks for your replies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair