The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 AM

Default Center Seam Separation

I have a guitar with a center seam separation occurring on its top. I am trying to find information on the proper way to repair it. Do I use cleats? Do you re-glue it, and if so, what type of glue to use?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:23 AM

The first thing to do is hydrate it. Many times the seam closes on its own once it is properly hydrated. Once it is hydrated, I would cleat it to stabilize it.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
The first thing to do is hydrate it. Many times the seam closes on its own once it is properly hydrated. Once it is hydrated, I would cleat it to stabilize it.
I don't think hydration is the cause for the problem. The guitar has just come from Japan where the climate is humid.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 AM

Pics would help a lot.

Steel string or classical guitar? Is the crack through the bridge? All the way to the tail block? Across the bracing? And so on...
Old 07-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspforeva View Post
I don't think hydration is the cause for the problem. The guitar has just come from Japan where the climate is humid.
Hydration is always the cause of a signification seperation in the top behind the bridge.

To much or too little will split that join every time.

Once its split you cannot just simply clamp it back together you need to climatise it correctly, this allows the alphatic glues that hold the braces in place to creep a fraction and allow better alignment of the book match join.

If after stabilizing it is still split then you have to conduct a thing called a splint repair, which is where you insert a piece of wood in the gap

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspforeva View Post
I don't think hydration is the cause for the problem. ......
The guitar has just experienced a serious climate change......... good luck with your crack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair