The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Moving Chords, Subs, etc...

Ok.. So I'm working on a few different techniques as I get back into guitar.

As some of you may remember from another post, I'm infatuated with Robert Bowlin's style of solo guitar... But also Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes, Pete Huttlinger, etc.

While Robert Bowlin's style is flatpicking and the others are thumbpicking, I've noticed they all have something in common. They all play moving chords to accommodate the melody they're emphasizing. I imagine these are inversions, substitutions, extensions, etc.

Does anyone know of ONLINE resources that would give me the more common of these for the guitar?

Also, what are some easy (easier) fiddle tunes to learn for guitar that include crosspicking?

Appreciate any help...

Old 07-05-2018, 08:02 PM

Default Movable Chords

When I think movable chords, I think in terms of shapes.

You could start with barre chords in the "E" & "A" major shapes. Then the "e" & "a" minor shapes.

Another popular one is the Dominant 7th shape.

I also use movable "A", "D", & "F" shapes on the top 3 strings.

Need to work on inversions next.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpl man View Post
When I think movable chords, I think in terms of shapes.

You could start with barre chords in the "E" & "A" major shapes. Then the "e" & "a" minor shapes.

Another popular one is the Dominant 7th shape.

I also use movable "A", "D", & "F" shapes on the top 3 strings.

Need to work on inversions next.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting that. I think I'm not being clear. I know my chord shapes... a little rusty for sure but they're in my head. For example, I understand and know how to form minor bar chords, major chords in their inversions, etc.

What I'm not sure of is the ('walking') chords that these guys are using to create movement in their arrangements. Some of it may be 2 5 1 with substitutions, etc. I'm not sure. That's what I'm asking. I don't even know what to study or look at. Or where to look

An example: On piano, I used tritone substitutions when reharmonizing a song. (among other things - just AN example). I'm assuming thats possible on the guitar... is it useful, common? How would I learn how to make those chords on guitar? More importantly, what are those guys using that I referenced?

I'm so needy

Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Could be a big topic or a more narrow one. Specific YouTube example(s) by one or more
of the fingerstyle players you mentioned would sharpen the focus.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-06-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimEyeGuitarGuy View Post
Thanks for posting that. I think I'm not being clear. I know my chord shapes... a little rusty for sure but they're in my head. For example, I understand and know how to form minor bar chords, major chords in their inversions, etc.

What I'm not sure of is the ('walking') chords that these guys are using to create movement in their arrangements. Some of it may be 2 5 1 with substitutions, etc. I'm not sure. That's what I'm asking. I don't even know what to study or look at. Or where to look

An example: On piano, I used tritone substitutions when reharmonizing a song. (among other things - just AN example). I'm assuming thats possible on the guitar... is it useful, common? How would I learn how to make those chords on guitar? More importantly, what are those guys using that I referenced?

I'm so needy
You need to learn your fretboard, basically. It sounds like you know a lot of the principles involved, but if you know the fretboard properly it's not hard to pick the essential notes of a chord in order to create moving shapes to accompany a melody.

Those guys look impressive because of how fast they do it, but they will have spent some time working those passages out, choosing positions so the notes all sit under the fingers comfortably. As rick says, a specific example or two would help to give a more specific answer.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:47 AM

Default An example

Ok. Here is an example. Pete Huttlinger is probably my favorite guitarist. (RIP)

A simple melody In the Sweet By and By.

Right at the beginning he begins moving immediately. I can figure out what he's doing and emulate it. But I don't KNOW what he's doing. Therefore, I can't figure out where to learn what he's doing.

I'm speaking of the little chord moves from 13 seconds to 16 seconds of the video.

PS. I'm kinda thrilled with myself for figuring out how to embed the YT video

Old 07-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Or an even better example of what I'm talking about... Listen to the chord progression that Doyle plays starting about about 1:15 and going through about 1:21.

Or how about the stuff at 2:14?

Granted Doyle and Peter are both virtuoso guitarists... I'm just talking about basic understanding of the chords they're using to support the melodies.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
You need to learn your fretboard, basically. It sounds like you know a lot of the principles involved, but if you know the fretboard properly it's not hard to pick the essential notes of a chord in order to create moving shapes to accompany a melody.
Awesome! Maybe just the thing I'm looking for... only you forgot to suggest an ONLINE resource for learning such material -- my original question.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm speaking of the little chord moves from 13 seconds to 16 seconds of the video.

)
I this example he decided on combining a melody line and a bass line. Separate those out for a better idea of what is going on.
For example the base line fretted notes runs:

-4-6-7-7-7-7 on the fourth string and then a 4 on the fifth string

For writing your own stuff use your ears to get ideas, form a plan(s) to execute, use your ears some more.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Another (slower) example...
Particularly, the chord progression around the :25-:28 second mark as an example.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another (slower) example...
Particularly, the chord progression around the :25-:28 second mark as an example.

This is a simple one. Use your ears to decide what you like. Most chord change sequences have moving chords that share some notes and other notes that are voice leaders (moves of a step or a half step).

Old 07-06-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
This is a simple one. Use your ears to decide what you like. Most chord change sequences have moving chords that share some notes and other notes that are voice leaders (moves of a step or a half step).
Sigh.... My favorite kind of posts... A lot of words that say nothing. I'm sure you know what you mean. It's not very helpful to my question however. Thank you though.

I appreciate if anyone can help point me in the right direction... to any online resources where I can LEARN this sort of thing.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

You can read up on music theory, but the best thing is to copy some examples and use your ears.
Also learn to be more appreciative of people spending their time tying to help you out. Over and out.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You can read up on music theory, but the best thing is to copy some examples and use your ears.
Also learn to be more appreciative of people spending their time tying to help you out. Over and out.
I came on this forum asking for something very specific, Sir. You have given me generic platitudes. I did thank you in my last post... in spite of it not being the information that I was specifically asking for.

So I'll say it again.. just in case you missed it. Thank you for what you posted. Unfortunately, it isn't helpful to the question I asked.

"Over and Out"

Old 07-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know of ONLINE resources that would give me the more common of these for the guitar?

Appreciate any help...
Just looking for resources that might teach me the more common type of chord subs, etc. specifically for guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write