The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Apparently, messages here have to be at least 10 characters long, so...

..... Fine.
We simply have a bit of difference in perspectives, it's all good.
However you brushed upon a really good point. Which is to make sure you "really want" to devote the time and money in learning to record and setting up a home studio. Because for simply capturing ideas for arranging, or song composition, or hearing yourself for practice etc., a little Zoom or similar might be just the ticket and room acoustics are not an issue.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-28-2018, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The only practical way to know how much audible junk you've got going on in your space is to record some and then find a truly quiet space to listen to it in.

And I think it's healthy and sanity-preserving to ask yourself what your goal is. Is it to work out arrangements, or practice, or show people on a forum like this one something you've worked out? Or are you "making a record?"
That's the thing I keep forgetting to do, but most days the best spot is the spare bedroom (with the door closed).

Now that I have my quiet spot I now have to learn what post recording processing actually gets to the end result that I want.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

The background stuff is much more apparent once you know it's there. One recording I have has a very faint dog woof at one spot.
I doubt anyone else would be aware of it but I always anticipate it - a bit distracting.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-28-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The background stuff is much more apparent once you know it's there. One recording I have has a very faint dog woof at one spot.
I doubt anyone else would be aware of it but I always anticipate it - a bit distracting.
I was mixing a record for some clients from the Caribbean and I stopped the tape because I thought I heard a funny noise. The producer said, "Pigeons. In the rafters. After while you'll hear them all over the place."

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 07-28-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM

That's pretty cool (pun intended).

My recordings would probably host every sound in my residence and beyond, if audible. I used to care, kinda. I mean to say there was a time when my playing was really important to capture clean and unfettered by any extraneous noise. I'd get irritated if I went all in and managed to record a song without any glitches or playing goofs only to hear the ceiling fan's slight whirring pitch pirating the recording. These days I run through a number once and then press the red button. During playback if I don't hear a screw-up it's a take even with my neighbor's mutt barking.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:53 PM

I have a small walk in closet that I record in .... The hanging clothes work good as an acoustic treatment lol
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD