The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default intrigued

Does anyone have a picture of these preamps installed? Those flat orange rectangular pieces go... where?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM

Giving another shoutout to sunnaudio-my guitar sounds amazing through the preamp/dazzos. Very well balanced too- so much so that I can tell when it isn’t centered and I have accidentally bumped the lows or highs just barely too hot.

A side question, have any of you experienced grounding issues with your dazzo’s? I don’t know if it’s the setup or the pickup. My setup for practicing at home (literally made it last night, the first time I plugged the dazzo’s in) gods guitar->Stage DI->EHX 22500 looper with phantom power through the XLR->headphones with a balanced jack. The hum is there from the get go when I plug the cable in (have tried a few different cables) and only goes away after plugging in the guitar and putting a hand on the guitar and a hand on the metal part of a connector. Does this go away when plugged into a proper amp/mixer? Or is it the pickup itself?
Thanks all and cheers to dazzo/sunnaudio!
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by euraquilo View Post
Does anyone have a picture of these preamps installed? Those flat orange rectangular pieces go... where?

Hi Euraquilo,
Here are pics where the preamps go - the flat rectangular pieces go inside the sound hole mounted underneath on the soundboard edge.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Hi Euraquilo,
Here are pics where the preamps go - the flat rectangular pieces go inside the sound hole mounted underneath on the soundboard edge.
OK, cool. And how is it attached? I'd think it would affect the top/vibration?

Also - looks like it would prevent me using my Sunrise (or any other soundhole mag) in a dual source configuration? Presuming the BL-1, if I understand correctly.

Last edited by euraquilo; 07-10-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add'l question
Old 07-10-2018, 02:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbs99 View Post
Giving another shoutout to sunnaudio-my guitar sounds amazing through the preamp/dazzos. Very well balanced too- so much so that I can tell when it isn’t centered and I have accidentally bumped the lows or highs just barely too hot.

A side question, have any of you experienced grounding issues with your dazzo’s? I don’t know if it’s the setup or the pickup. My setup for practicing at home (literally made it last night, the first time I plugged the dazzo’s in) gods guitar->Stage DI->EHX 22500 looper with phantom power through the XLR->headphones with a balanced jack. The hum is there from the get go when I plug the cable in (have tried a few different cables) and only goes away after plugging in the guitar and putting a hand on the guitar and a hand on the metal part of a connector. Does this go away when plugged into a proper amp/mixer? Or is it the pickup itself?
Thanks all and cheers to dazzo/sunnaudio!
Hi bradbs99,
Make sure you check your solder connections at the jack OR where the pickup wires solder to the preamp board. Any stray piece of copper wire touching something else may cause this. If this not the issue, check to make sure you try plugging in directly into a powered speaker or directly into an interface to eliminate other factors. IF there is still hum, there is a rare possibility that one of the Dazzo pickups may have an issue, which Teddy will gladly replace or repair. If you don't solve this with above mentioned methods, please email us at [email protected] and we'll be happy to assist you further.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by euraquilo View Post
OK, cool. And how is it attached? I'd think it would affect the top/vibration?

Also - looks like it would prevent me using my Sunrise (or any other soundhole mag) in a dual source configuration? Presuming the BL-1, if I understand correctly.

Any dampening of the soundboard has not been an issue at all. Our preamps are very light and they are attached with velcro.

The larger size of the Sunrise pickup can be an issue. We are looking at a smaller blender size in the future to accommodate this scenario. There may be room to place the blender pre at an angle, more towards the bridge side - depending on size of guitar and sound hole.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
You guys are really killing me. Just when I think I am going to go for a K&K + TD set up, I read through this thread and it makes me want a Dazzo/Sunnaudio set up. My experiences with the Amulet M worry me though. I know the Dazzo is a different pickup but it does seem to require some experimentation.
Only if you got a weird guitar or something . Usually its right otherwise and there is no problems ..

Last edited by dazzoman; 07-10-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Hi bradbs99,
Make sure you check your solder connections at the jack OR where the pickup wires solder to the preamp board. Any stray piece of copper wire touching something else may cause this. If this not the issue, check to make sure you try plugging in directly into a powered speaker or directly into an interface to eliminate other factors. IF there is still hum, there is a rare possibility that one of the Dazzo pickups may have an issue, which Teddy will gladly replace or repair. If you don't solve this with above mentioned methods, please email us at [email protected] and we'll be happy to assist you further.
Amen to that !
Brad , when did you get those Dazzlers ?
If they are bad we can fix them or something .
Old 07-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Before I had the Dazzo's installed in my guitar, I tried the Stage DI with the K&K's that were in it previously.

It sounded good with the K&K's, but sounds superb with the Dazzo's.

Thanks for the quick response! That’s pretty much the way I was leaning anyway.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzoman View Post
Amen to that !
Brad , when did you get those Dazzlers ?
If they are bad we can fix them or something .
I got em a month or so ago but just got them installed the other day-I’ve been emailing you about em on and off. You’d probably recognize me better as brynn haha. Thank you to you and sunnaudio for all the answered questions and tips-the pickup/box combo really is something special.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbs99 View Post
I got em a month or so ago but just got them installed the other day-I’ve been emailing you about em on and off. You’d probably recognize me better as brynn haha. Thank you to you and sunnaudio for all the answered questions and tips-the pickup/box combo really is something special.
Yay !
You are welcome Brynn !
Sunny (at Sunnaudio) has been thinking of what the problem (hum?) could be and if you are open to it just reach out to him here .
Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Welcome Teddy to AGF sponsorship! The Dazzo fans on this board officially welcome you too (in a very unofficial way). Thanks for making our amplified experience better. I don’t know what you and the Sunnaudio guys did, but it is a perfect combination. Well, good enough for a picky audiophile geek like me.

I have been sharing my satisfaction with folks here for awhile so I hope now they can hear from the horses mouth.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-13-2018, 06:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Welcome Teddy to AGF sponsorship! The Dazzo fans on this board officially welcome you too (in a very unofficial way). Thanks for making our amplified experience better. I don’t know what you and the Sunnaudio guys did, but it is a perfect combination. Well, good enough for a picky audiophile geek like me.

I have been sharing my satisfaction with folks here for awhile so I hope now they can hear from the horses mouth.
Thanks Vancebo !
Old 07-13-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzoman View Post
Thanks Vancebo !
Thanks for what? I just called you a horse.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-15-2018, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Thanks for what? I just called you a horse.
WEEEERRR HEEERR HERR HERR HERRRR!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification