The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
Sure. I would be up for that. I believe I indicated that to you in recent email exchanges. I was under the impression you weren't very interested.
I recall many attempts , came to the conclusion that if you and I could ever get your guitar in the same room - we probably could make it happen with experimentations / testing until something is figured out .
Hopefully we can actually meet and make that happen .

Once in a great while there will be rare or different guitars that just won't work with Dazzos like my old LG-2 .... it took a decade to figure it out !
(To my surprise it liked the cherrywood bodied Dazzo 60s of all things )
BTW wood pickups are not always better except in odd guitars or weird applications like cajon drums or something .
Otherwise Dazzos work the first time .
Old 07-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzoman View Post
I recall many attempts , came to the conclusion that if you and I could ever get your guitar in the same room - we probably could make it happen with experimentations / testing until something is figured out .
Hopefully we can actually meet and make that happen .

Once in a great while there will be rare or different guitars that just won't work with Dazzos like my old LG-2 .... it took a decade to figure it out !
(To my surprise it liked the cherrywood bodied Dazzo 60s of all things )
BTW wood pickups are not always better except in odd guitars or weird applications like cajon drums or something .
Otherwise Dazzos work the first time .
Yes, that was your conclusion and perhaps you're right.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Happy 4th everyone. May you all be enjoying and appreciating your freedoms today and everyday.

This morning, I meant to simply grab a guitar and sit on my back patio with my coffee and play tunes. But right there on my workbench in my garage we’re still the 4 preamps used for my little test above still hooked up to my Bise S1. And so it began again, another round of fiddling with knobs and not really accomplishing anything. Minutes later with minimal EQ and knob tweaking, I had them all dialed in and sounding particularly outstanding to say the least. Then the next hour was spent switching back and forth needlessly. Again, they all sounded great. One better than the other, hmm, maybe, but all good tools depending on what you need. I’m sure Teddy the Dazzoman is cringing that I said I needed to use even a small amount of EQ to get his pickups to sound just right. That’s almost unacceptable for him.

So what was I thinking? That could have been an hour I could have been playing music wasted on knob turning. Now I am on the AGF writing folks and telling you about my unproductive morning. It’s a disease! Is there a cure?

Happy 4th. Play more guitar!
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-04-2018, 03:44 PM

You guys are really killing me. Just when I think I am going to go for a K&K + TD set up, I read through this thread and it makes me want a Dazzo/Sunnaudio set up. My experiences with the Amulet M worry me though. I know the Dazzo is a different pickup but it does seem to require some experimentation.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Happy 4th everyone! .. and shoutout back to you Vance..

I ended doing some playing myself today over some espresso(s) this morning and discussed some details with Sunny on our future electric / acoustic DI project.

If there are any electric / acoustic players out there that gig with both, I'd love to hear more about your experiences and needs. More to come on that.

Marc
Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
You guys are really killing me. Just when I think I am going to go for a K&K + TD set up, I read through this thread and it makes me want a Dazzo/Sunnaudio set up. My experiences with the Amulet M worry me though. I know the Dazzo is a different pickup but it does seem to require some experimentation.

Hi Petty, A customer has been using the Stage Di with the Lyric pickup in his nylon string guitar and is very pleased with the results. They've been recording at a studio with it.

Marc
Old 07-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Petty, it’s only money and time. What else do you have to lose. 😜
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Happy 4th everyone! .. and shoutout back to you Vance..

I ended doing some playing myself today over some espresso(s) this morning and discussed some details with Sunny on our future electric / acoustic DI project.

If there are any electric / acoustic players out there that gig with both, I'd love to hear more about your experiences and needs. More to come on that.

Marc
I would love that. I’ve been watching these threads for a while and I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on a di to go with the 70s in my d35.. a di that could do both would be pretty sweet. Just off the top of my head, one thing I really like about my Neve RNDI that I use currently for my electric rig is that it can take a load so I can di my head and still pass through to my cab and get both signals to foh/recording console. Looking forward to what you guys come up with!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:13 PM

I forgot to mention. (I am sure Marc will fix it if I give out wrong info).

I have 2 onboard versions of the preamp. One is called the Line Driver. It has a volume wheel that attaches under your sound hole. The rest of the preamp is at the end pin jack. It has a wider frequency range and is designed to get the guitar signal nicely to a mixing board, preamp w/ EQ, amp or DI for additional mixing.

The other version I have is the Tone Driver. It has a preamp that attaches to the sound hole and has a Treble, Bass, and volume wheels. It is designed for the plug and play option. Plug direct into your amp or mixer and you are in charge of dialing in your tone at the guitar not needed further mixing.

Lastly, I also have the Stage DI. It has the same circuit as the Tone Driver but in a little black stage box that fits into your guitar case. (Pics were posted earlier in the thread)
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 07-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Hey Teddy..I met you a couple times at Winter NAMM (I was usually with Alistair)...Have you or anyone done any of the Carbon Fiber or Ekoa (Blackbird) guitars with your Dazzo and the Sunnaudio?

You and Nate with sooo many strings :

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-08-2018, 12:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Shout Out to Sunnaudio!!

Hi Vance,

You are correct in the description of our preamps. The Line driver is the only one that has unity gain (less output that than our other preamps) The Line Driver is mainly a buffer amp that will help you drive a longer cable and get better impedance matching before hitting a EQ/Pre mixing board or recording interface. I generally will use a 75hz roll off (usually on an I interface or mixing board) to eliminate some of the subharmonic thumpy stuff that may be there.

The Tone Driver, Stage DI, and Blender circuits allow for some of this roll off in the circuit helping take care of the sub frequencies and crispy highs in more subtle way than most filters on boards so you can still use the 75 or 80ish HZ after the fact with good results.

As an example my Martin 0-15 can get boomy and produce some fairly rich lows. That guitar likes the TD-1 (or I like it more for ease of use and options). I can roll off the bass without killing the bass notes and same with the highs.

Hope this helps explain more on our preamps!

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I forgot to mention. (I am sure Marc will fix it if I give out wrong info).

I have 2 onboard versions of the preamp. One is called the Line Driver. It has a volume wheel that attaches under your sound hole. The rest of the preamp is at the end pin jack. It has a wider frequency range and is designed to get the guitar signal nicely to a mixing board, preamp w/ EQ, amp or DI for additional mixing.

The other version I have is the Tone Driver. It has a preamp that attaches to the sound hole and has a Treble, Bass, and volume wheels. It is designed for the plug and play option. Plug direct into your amp or mixer and you are in charge of dialing in your tone at the guitar not needed further mixing.

Lastly, I also have the Stage DI. It has the same circuit as the Tone Driver but in a little black stage box that fits into your guitar case. (Pics were posted earlier in the thread)

Last edited by sunnaudio; 07-08-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM

Can the internal Sunnaudio preamps be added to the Dazzo pickups at a later date? Ordering a Dazzo to Canada will be expensive enough and as much as I want the sunnaudio preamp/active electronics to be included, I might just opt for the pickup and then see how I even like it first.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Can the internal Sunnaudio preamps be added to the Dazzo pickups at a later date? Ordering a Dazzo to Canada will be expensive enough and as much as I want the sunnaudio preamp/active electronics to be included, I might just opt for the pickup and then see how I even like it first.
Hi Petty,
Yes, absolutely - you can install the Dazzo's first and see how they work for you. When your ready to install the sunnaudio pre-amp, your pickup wires will be wired (soldered) to the pre-amp first, then back to output jack.

That said, our pre-amps will work with other pickups if you decide to go another route later.

Marc
Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but does anyone have any experience with the K&K through the Stage DI? I’m on the fence about pulling the trigger on the Dazzo or K&K, but definitely want to buy the Stage DI. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghill47 View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered already, but does anyone have any experience with the K&K through the Stage DI? I’m on the fence about pulling the trigger on the Dazzo or K&K, but definitely want to buy the Stage DI. Thanks in advance.
Before I had the Dazzo's installed in my guitar, I tried the Stage DI with the K&K's that were in it previously.

It sounded good with the K&K's, but sounds superb with the Dazzo's.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification