The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The Zoom H5 has built-in mics that will get you started. You will still need a DAW to process your sound files, if you choose to. There are free ones, I believe Audacity is free, to name one.

It's a hobby in itself that is fun and frustrating at the same time. The best thing to do is pick your starting point. You can start with a Zoom and a DAW would be all you additionally need to get some recordings done. Even though you may abandon the Zoom later on or buy external microphones for it, the Zoom is a good way to get started besides your smartphone. There are also other less expensive and more expensive versions of the Zoom line of recorders.

Just my personal view on things is to always start small and simple and add equipment as your needs, experience and knowledge expand - if you choose to. I'm just really beginning to go down the road of home recording. I've been recording at home for over 10 years, but it was always an afterthought as the guitar playing and music was the focus. Now as I'm doing it more, I'm paying more attention to the details. I'm trying to convince myself that good decent sounding recordings can be made at home, it the right room, without room treatments - just the right post processing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm going to try.
This sounds good to me! I’ve checked out reviews of the various Zooms and the H5 seems the most suitable. I’ve ordered one to arrive Wednesday and will then start getting to grips with it. As TBman suggests, it’s a good place to start from and I can always add to it in future.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie99 View Post
This sounds good to me! I’ve checked out reviews of the various Zooms and the H5 seems the most suitable. I’ve ordered one to arrive Wednesday and will then start getting to grips with it. As TBman suggests, it’s a good place to start from and I can always add to it in future.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
I've found that Duracell batteries work better than Kodak or Everready, btw.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 AM

A stand-alone recorder like the Zoom is a great way to get your 'feet wet' and see if recording is for you.
It truly can be a 'rabbit hole' once you move to computer recording.
A good place to get info is the forums at homerecording.com

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM

I spend about 300 bucks for my first basic recording set up. I already had a PC. I was going to by the Scarlett Solo bundle, but the folks at the place I go to, Chuck Levins Washington Music Center, set me up with a customized package that cost the same as the bundle and I paid a few extra bucks for a decent boom stand and a shock mount for my mic.

The 250 +/- dollar package included:

1. Scarlett Solo interface that came bundled with a ton of nice DAW software, of which I still use Ableton Live 9 Lite. I like that Ableton had a tutorial built in to get me going in the right direction.

2. AKG P120 Large Diaphragm condenser mic. This things really does the business for a sub 100 dollar mic.

3. Audio Technica M30x Closed back headphones. Not bad for sub 100 dollar headphones.

4. A nice 20' XLR cable.

I've since bought a more mics, stands, cables, studio monitors, 4 channel interface, etc.

next project is to make a dedicated room in my basement into a studio so I can practice and record without disrupting the household.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Charlie,

My first foray into recording was similar to Barry's (TBMan) as I bought a Zoom H5 primarily after learning that SHORELINE MUSIC (AGF sponsor) uses the H5 X-Y mics for recording all of their videos on their website (I bought my H5 from them). I am very impressed with the H5's ability just recording with the supplied mics but I made an investment in a pair of Shure KSM137 SDC mics and a Rode NT1A LDC mic along with a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface that I can use the with the Reaper DAW on my laptop.

But I'm a lot like Barry in that it's very easy to use either the H5 by itself or set it up using the mics above and then download the sound file onto my laptop for further processing. I have a pair of both open back and closed back headphones for monitoring during recording and post processing.

If you are just looking to get a good recording to share with us AGF'ers and family and friends, you don't need much more than a good room, an H5, a DAW you like, possibly some external mics, and some headphones. You can do a lot with that and your total investment can stay under $1,000.

Good luck and have fun!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Charlie,

If you are just looking to get a good recording to share with us AGF'ers and family and friends, you don't need much more than a good room, an H5, a DAW you like, possibly some external mics, and some headphones. You can do a lot with that and your total investment can stay under $1,000.

Good luck and have fun!
Good advice, Bob. When I decided to step up from the iphone I found a used Zoom H4n on AGF for under $100, and someone here mentioned a stupid deal of the day on some decent monitoring headphones for like 30 bucks. I use Audacity which is a free DAW. The results are good enough for me and those select few I inflict myself on
Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM

I will "sing" the praise of the Apogee Mic+ .. $250 USD.

It is in a word.. Simple..
2 words .. Simple and Amazing Quality.

I have older model that is iPhone only. The newer Mic+ comes with cables for Apple and Windows (usb cable).

It works perfect with free Garage band app (Iphone). I also use the iphone's camera to record video at same time. Using fee app called iRig recorder.

I had been trying for years to get good recordings with "other gear". The Apogee is so forgiving. Even in non treated rooms I get great Acoustic and vocals.

Worth a look!

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mic
Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I will "sing" the praise of the Apogee Mic+ .. $250 USD.

It is in a word.. Simple..

2 words .. Simple and Amazing Quality.

I have older model that is iPhone only. The newer Mic+ comes with cables for Apple and Windows (usb cable).

It works perfect with free Garage band app (Iphone). I also use the iphone's camera to record video at same time. Using fee app called iRig recorder.

I had been trying for years to get good recordings with "other gear". The Apogee is so forgiving. Even in non treated rooms I get great Acoustic and vocals.

Worth a look!

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mic

In complete agreement with JakeStone. I have used some of the finest gear out there, but for my home recordings: Apogee Mic+, IPad, and Harmonic Dog MultiTrack DAW.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD