The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-29-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thats a sweet guitar ....The new Parallel Universe concept is an interesting and I think positive marketing strategy
Taking some of there US models and offering a different set of options (thus "parallel universe")

Myself If I were going to get a Tele style guitar and was going to go with a Fender It would most likely be this one
www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleNashACB--fender-limited-edition-parallel-universe-american-elite-nashville-telecaster-antique-cherry-burst
I really like the Idea of the two single coil and then the SawBucker in the bridge position and I really like the the bevel cut on the top of the lower bout as well as the Strat style waist bevel common to the elite Tele series
I had one for about two weeks. The elite necks with the compound radius fretboard and the compound radius neck are just fantastic. Very comfortable. The body curve and the arm rest curve make it a very comfortable guitar to play, although the one I had was pretty heavy, even for a Telecaster. With an HSS pickup configuration and an S1 switch, the tones that you can get are practically limitless. Ironically, the only tone you can't get is that bright, classic Fender country tone. The FLEPUAENT does have a 64' Telecaster bridge pickup, but a combination of it not resting on the metal bridge plate and not having the heavy brass saddles cuts down on the classic Tele spank. You can get an approximation, but it isn't perfect.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I had one for about two weeks. The elite necks with the compound radius fretboard and the compound radius neck are just fantastic. Very comfortable. The body curve and the arm rest curve make it a very comfortable guitar to play, although the one I had was pretty heavy, even for a Telecaster. With an HSS pickup configuration and an S1 switch, the tones that you can get are practically limitless. Ironically, the only tone you can't get is that bright, classic Fender country tone. The FLEPUAENT does have a 64' Telecaster bridge pickup, but a combination of it not resting on the metal bridge plate and not having the heavy brass saddles cuts down on the classic Tele spank. You can get an approximation, but it isn't perfect.
Interesting, thanks for the input. For me the good news is I have never owned a Tele and I would not be chasing a specific match. It would just have to play and sound nice to my ear, and be different enough from my PRS CE 24 to make it a horse of a different color.
For example I could just as easily get the new PRS strat style or a Fender Elite strat for the same reasons . I haven't played any of them yet, but suspect any of the three would be a nice compliment. How close it may or may not be to an original, is not significantly relevant for me personally . Now weight on the other hand might be an issue.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-29-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the input. For me the good news is I have never owned a Tele and I would not be chasing a specific match. It would just have to play and sound nice to my ear, and be different enough from my PRS CE 24 to make it a horse of a different color.
For example I could just as easily get the new PRS strat style or a Fender Elite strat for the same reasons . I haven't played any of them yet, but suspect any of the three would be a nice compliment. How close it may or may not be to an original, is not significantly relevant for me personally . Now weight on the other hand might be an issue.
In that case, it would be an excellent choice. For me, my dream guitar is a hard tail HSS Strat. I have no use for a trem, and I would prefer not to have a portion of my guitar carved out and filled with springs. This was very close to that ideal, the S1 switch gives access to a lot of those Strat-like in between tones, but it still wasn't exactly perfect, but I can't quite say why.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
If you were going to get a Tele style guitar, why would you want anything BUT a Fender?
Quote:
Simple : I don't buy guitars because of name.
Because there are a number of boutique type builders that offer excellent Tele style guitars . And it would be for the style and character of sound , the build quality and how it plays , not the name on the headstock .
OK, I can see this point of view, KevWind. The problem I have with Strat and Tele-style guitars is that I have seen so many other brands that look EXACTLY like Fenders that you would not know the difference if you didn't read the name on the head stock. To me, this is a kind of rip-off. It shows no originality. If you're going to make a guitar that is similar to a Fender, at least make it visually identifiable enough that it appears to be your own brand.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 06-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
OK, I can see this point of view, KevWind. The problem I have with Strat and Tele-style guitars is that I have seen so many other brands that look EXACTLY like Fenders that you would not know the difference if you didn't read the name on the head stock. To me, this is a kind of rip-off. It shows no originality. If you're going to make a guitar that is similar to a Fender, at least make it visually identifiable enough that it appears to be your own brand.
Technically if looks EXACTLY like a Fender, it would be a "Knock Off" and would also be a trade mark infringement, actionable by Fender..

BUT :
That is a completely different discussion.

Although it seems to me most of the better boutique builders I have looked at (while obviously copying the Tele body style otherwise there would be logical point in doing a Tele style) have the headstock different enough that it would seem to be obviously not a Fender.

For example in this rundown from "Guitar Player Magazine " of the 15 Tele style guitars shown the only one that is close to a Fender style headstock is the "Lentz" and I would assume even it is different enough otherwise Fender would be hauling them into court
https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/t-style-guitars

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-30-2018 at 07:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars