The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Default oldest guitar

so what is the oldest guitar here on the forum?

i have a french made(or perhaps quebecois made--new france) guitarre allemand, the kind of instrument that ben franklin meant when he said he played guitar. the estimated date is 1760's. the top wood dates to 1730's by dendrochronology. anyone got anyhting older?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post

i have a french made(or perhaps quebecois made--new france) guitarre allemand, the kind of instrument that ben franklin meant when he said he played guitar. the estimated date is 1760's. the top wood dates to 1730's by dendrochronology. anyone got anyhting older?
So are you saying the tree that was used for the top was only 30 years old when it was cut to make this guitar?

........Mike
Old 03-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think many of us here in the forum are older than your guitar, at least some days we feel like it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Pics or it didn't happen
Old 03-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
So are you saying the tree that was used for the top was only 30 years old when it was cut to make this guitar?
I assumed he was saying the tree was cut down in the 1730s, but you could be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
I'd love to see pictures, too.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM

How's it sound?

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics...
Old 03-15-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
...I have a french made(or perhaps quebecois made--new france) guitarre allemand, the kind of instrument that ben franklin meant when he said he played guitar. the estimated date is 1760's. the top wood dates to 1730's by dendrochronology...
Today's Luthierie Lesson
Guitar made from 25-30 year air-dried wood survives for 250+ years, the first 150 or so undoubtedly under climatic conditions to which most of us would not willingly subject ourselves, much less our treasured instruments...

Instruments built six months ago from kiln-dried wood - in the name of profit-driven market-saturation levels of production - regularly crack, twist, deform, shrink, etc. unless maintained under perfect conditions of temperature/humidity, such that some makers will void your warranty unless said conditions are met...

While repeatable precision-of-detail levels have risen exponentially within my own lifetime, as a consequence of technology, one could hardly call ours a (the) "Golden Age of the Guitar"...
Old 03-15-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post

........Mike
no the dendrochronology guy made and estimate from pictures that the tree ceased to be alive in or around 1730, but he'd have to see it in person to make a definitive assessment.

he used to be at a university near me but he moved all the way across the country--drat.

i will make pictures if someone sends me an e mail, address to send them to and then will up load them--i haven't figured out how to upload pictures.

but common someone other than me must have a really old guitar!!!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 PM

i had a 1747 preston english guitar but i traded it with a portuguese guitar for a celtic bouzouki. i am getting out of early instruments as i really have no where to perform with them, while i can dig up celtic gigs here and there even at 65

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion