The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-09-2014, 12:48 AM

edited for clarity

Last edited by CoolerKing; 10-01-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 AM

edited for clarity

Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 AM

Very tasty, Burton. Love the headstock and I'm one of those who doesn't usually care for slot heads. What's the angle? Looks shallow.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks everyone,

Dion, I don't consider that CF treatment "mine", it seems a logical progression from the Dragonplate tube, what Ken Parker is doing, and just common sense. It did take me a long time to get confident enough in working with composites to be able to do it how I wanted but now I love it- So, absolutely! go for it.

Ken, The angle is 12 degrees which looks pretty right. My favorite thing about slotheads is the possibility to make my favorite transition from headstock to neck, copied from an old Martin a friend had. Nothing crazy, but one I just really like. Jack liked it too, which was awesome.

Pore fill is going along, a bit slow as each sealer coat takes a bit to dry on the rosewood before the filler can go on and it takes 2 applications to get completely filled. I'm very excited to get the shellac on and start to see that glow.....

Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Looking good Burton ... love it!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great work Burton! I'm really impressed by how light you are able to make this guitar considering it's Brazilian Rosewood, with double sides, solid kerfing, and the large neck and end blocks. It seems you have a lot of strength in a very lightweight package.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 01-11-2014, 11:54 AM

Thanks guys!

Mark, Thanks for commenting on that, it has been my goal to try to keep pecking away at the edges to keep the strength but bring the weight down. I factor that in to every decision I make on the guitars. This one doesn't have any compromises I am not comfortable with- as you said the blocks, sides, and linings are robust and the plates are not overly thin either.

Jack and I had many conversations about that with both of us decidedly preferring lighter guitars. I made it a priority on this instrument to focus on that aspect and it paid off, 3 and a half for an OM seems just about right for the vintage feel we are going for here-

I'm always surprised by the rosewoods too. This set of Brazilian was not overly heavy. I have about 25 or so Madrose sets and the density is all over the place. Some are approaching Cocobolo in being just really heavy while other sets are much like my Tucarensis, which is about the same as Honduran Mahogany. I don't have as much Brazilian but I find the same thing, the density can vary more within those species than others seem to.

I was a bit worried beforehand, not having handled the wood, but when it showed up and I could get a sense of it I felt much better.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Beautiful work, Burton. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Gawd me too. I hope jackaroo brings it to Nazfest so I could play it.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM

I'd be more temped to bring it to Key West!

Cold snap here in NYC is finally easing up...thank heaven.

I'm pretty excited. I'm told I should have it around Valentines day...just what my wife wants, another guitar! ;-)

That's kind of cool, because it was over Valentines day weekend last year when I first went to Boston and played my first LeGeyt.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I haven't seen one or played one in person, but this build thread sure makes one thought come to mind: precision. Man the details that go into Burton's instruments, and their execution, is amazing.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Great work Burton! Very impressive approach to building. In fact you have me thinking....which sometimes for me is a blessing and a curse Keep up the great work and congrats to jackaroo on a great guitar!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 AM

I saw this pic on Burton's FB page...funny how I didn't get it myself.

Chronologically it's out of place, but it's cool so I'll post it.

edited for clarity

Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I haven't chimed in despite reading along as this beauty was built...but I LOVE this guitar. I mean, the woods are obviously stunning and I never meant a slothead that didn't appeal to me but Burton's attention to detail (and somewhat unique details in my mind) is truly impressive. Burton, when are you gonna do a single 0 with all this wonderful stuff? The large body-challenged among us want to know! Congrats on this awesome guitar
Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the encouraging words.

Louis, I'd be happy to make an O! Someone just has to request it….. My CL model is only slightly larger at just about 00 size, I have one in the works in Adi/Madagascar Rosewood now.

Actually, speaking of smaller guitars, I'd really love to make a few size 2 1/2 styled guitars, I love almost everything about that shape-

Jack, Valentine's day! That will be a year, I didn't think about that. I could quit the French Polish and just paint it cherry red instead, what do you think??
You'll still see the Brazilian from the inside…………..

Staining the neck this morning, should have some nice pics tomorrow. Pores are filled and I'm building up a a few layers before I break out the muneca and go into permanent arm paralysis for a few weeks!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop