The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Default convert a 12 string to seven?

Would taking a 12 string with a 2 in + nut width removing the tuners making a new nut for the seven strings and possibly putting a new bridge work? I want to have a have seven INDIVIDUAL strings not that Rodger McGuin 12 string wannabe garbage. I would tune it D2 E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:08 AM

Maybe,

First understand of course you can do it, but...... will it sound any good.

Sometimes 12 strings are very heavily braced, I have seen configurations of heavy braces down to two sets of x braces being fitted, one set behind the other, other times people have used traditional 6 string bracings.

Me...... I would take the strings you want to use and string it up with just those, measure bridge rotation before tension is applied and after tension has been applied, ideally imo the top rotating with the bridge of around .5 of a degree is perfect.

Measure and we can go from there what you need to do to make it sound great.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-07-2018, 06:21 AM

I don't own a 12 string yet just an Idea I had I would like to make sure it would work before I buy one.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I was loving your idea, but then it occurred to me...

You could replace the bridge, but the holes in the top and bridgeplate will be in the wrong places. When you drill new holes, some of them will probably overlap the olds ones creating oblong holes and it starts to sound like a lot of work.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:47 AM

Your biggest issue is the bridge pin hole spacing. The existing pins are spaced for pairs of strings - not 7 individuals..... Maybe it will be OK... It's certainly wide enough as a baseline - but will the strings land on the holes is the question... A string spacing ruler would answer your question to ensure you weren't doing too many weird acrobatics trying to dance a string 1/4" to the left to get it into the right place....

You could work around everything else easy enough with a new nut and saddle.

The next question is that of a WAY overbuilt structure... Consider that a 12 string has "Power to Spare" for Loud and the main problem is enough structure to hold double the string tension...... Now what happens to the sound when you take off 60% of the string tension? As a point of reference - how do extra-light strings sound on an Esteban guitar?

But - if you can do it on the cheap - you don't have much to lose.... Just go right ahead.

Last option.. 7 string guitars are a very traditional Russian thing. Forum Sponsor "Doff Guitars" makes Russian 7 string guitars. They look really nice in the pix I have seen... And they are quite inexpensive due to favorable exchange rates and Russian labor prices.... Probably cheaper to buy one of those than it is to buy and convert a 12 string....
Old 07-09-2018, 01:26 PM

The Doff 7-string does not have a set neck, I guess a Russian design. String tension stabalizes the neck, but loosen the strings and the neck moves side to side, up and down. There is a bolt that attaches the heel to the neck block. Beneath the fingerboard, the heel rests against the top, front edge of the block, acting as a fulcrum, a pivot point/edge while screwing the bolt in or out, raising or lowering the action. The tuners can be tough to turn, the shaft ends fit somewhat tightly in the central column of the open headstock. These are ladder-braced guitars with proud volume and resonance, and appropriate build quality for the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair