The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-04-2018, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Default 1,000th post! Challenging myself to "Gas" NOT GAS.

First, I've been on this forum for 5 years and cannot thank my fellow members enough for imparting so much knowledge on guitars and playing. My appreciation for music and the players here far more talented than I, has grown exponentially.

I started playing at 50, and had on/off lessons for about 18 months. When my third instructor moved, I went to self learning......Watching videos and reading a ton. One song I absolutely love is " Classical Gas" by Mason Williams. Most are probably more familiar with Tommy Emmanuels version. In any event, my challenge to myself is to learn this song. It is far above my talents, but you don't learn if you don't push, right? It may take me a few weeks or months. I don't care. I will break it into pieces, and tackle this song.

So there you have it. My July 4th, 1000th post public challenge to learn this song and report my progress, or lack thereof.

Thanks for reading. Play on!
Vince
Old 07-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I look forward to hearing about your progress on Classical Gas - one of my favorites though I have not yet learned to play it.

On a side note, I am always impressed that people catch their post count milestones - I never pay attention to it so mine just come and go.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I was re-learning that at one point last year (Williams version) but got side tracked with other stuff. I was using www.songsterr.com which has the tab/notation with a play back feature (which I used as a play along learning tool).

Their website is a great resource and learning tool.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I look forward to hearing about your progress on Classical Gas - one of my favorites though I have not yet learned to play it.

On a side note, I am always impressed that people catch their post count milestones - I never pay attention to it so mine just come and go.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks Jayne. By far the most challenging piece I've ever attempted. I hope to get something other than my phone to record my progress. As for the count, I didn't realize how many I had until the other day when someone else posted about their 1,000th and I looked to see where I was at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was re-learning that at one point last year (Williams version) but got side tracked with other stuff. I was using www.songsterr.com which has the tab/notation with a play back feature (which I used as a play along learning tool).

Their website is a great resource and learning tool.
Thanks for the tip about Songsterr. I really want to learn the Williams version, however the lack of orchestra presents certain problems

I am using 3-4 different tabs, listening to videos, and trying to combine them into one. Songsterr should be a HUGE help, especially with the playback feature!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Thanks Jayne. By far the most challenging piece I've ever attempted. I hope to get something other than my phone to record my progress. As for the count, I didn't realize how many I had until the other day when someone else posted about their 1,000th and I looked to see where I was at.

Thanks for the tip about Songsterr. I really want to learn the Williams version, however the lack of orchestra presents certain problems

I am using 3-4 different tabs, listening to videos, and trying to combine them into one. Songsterr should be a HUGE help, especially with the playback feature!
I know, that 5th position part (if I remember correctly) was a little weak. I keep meaning to do a Youtube search to see how others handle it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write