The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 01:41 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I got into "on the fret" buzzing some time ago in my thread here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=390071

I do think it is more noticeable on stainless steel (if properly finished), also Evo gold to a lesser degree, and more noticeable (longer duration) on the lower wound strings. The string can vibrate more easily on the fret. A small adaptation to fret technique helps to counter. In any case I have three guitars with stainless and one with EVO. Would not go back to nickel-silver for anything.
I read through that thread and maybe we are talking about the same thing. It's hard to tell for sure, but I think so. More noticeable on SS, if you're listening for it. If not, I don't notice, and it disappears pretty much with normal playing. I have to pluck hard on single notes to actually hear it, something I would rarely do playing any song I can think of. It's of note that my frets are triangular, with narrow tops, on all three guitars. That, I think, is the common denominator most likely contributing to this sound. My electric, which has flat-topped frets, does not have this effect at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion