The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-18-2019, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Default "The Reach" by Dan Fogelberg (cover)

A couple of my YouTube subscribers (and one AGF member, Mach Buffet) asked me recently if I might consider recording Dan Fogelberg's song, "The Reach" when I put up Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." I looked into this song and the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. So here it is -- I hope you like this as much as I do.

Since I live in the Pacific Northwest not far from the Washington coast, the photos behind me in the video are of my region. The fishing boats are from the town of Westport, WA not far from where I live and all the ocean scenes are from the Northwest. The Fall scene is from a trip we took through the Adirondacks in New York State many years ago. The lighthouse is the Grays Harbor Light at Westport.

My guess is that "the reach" in the song is Eggemoggin Reach in Maine, just off Deer Isle where Dan Fogelberg lived for some 25 years or so.

The 12-string is my Guild F512. The guitar is tuned to Open D tuning as Dan Fogelberg played this song. It sure makes for a big sound, I think.

Thanks for listening!

Glenn
Old 09-18-2019, 11:26 PM
AGF Administrator

Nicely done, Glenn. I like the added touch of the photos behind you, it's a nice taste of a place I used to call (and still consider) home.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Great Glenn. I've played The Reach for years, but in standard tuning, key of E (it's a challenge in spots). I'm gonna have to try it in Open D now!

Thanks for this,
Old 09-19-2019, 04:50 AM

outstanding Glenn. thx for posting that.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

So here it is -- I hope you like this as much as I do. The 12-string is my Guild F512. The guitar is tuned to Open D tuning as Dan Fogelberg played this song. It sure makes for a big sound, I think.
Thanks for listening!
Glenn
Hi Glenn, I'm new on the forum and at the moment find I have so much to aspire to - and your performance here is a level, I think, I personally will NEVER reach. But hey, I'm sure going to enjoy the learning and trying! lol
Absolutely wonderful my friend. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Regards, Dave

* GUITARS
Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
Harley Benton GS-Travel-E Mahogany
50yr old EKO Ranger 12 String
Old 09-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Nicely done, Glenn. I like the added touch of the photos behind you, it's a nice taste of a place I used to call (and still consider) home.
Hi Jeremy!

Man! it's wonderful to hear from you! Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment! I had no idea that you were from Maine originally! That's cool! No wonder you were attracted to the Navy!

I hope all is well for you! I am doing quite well!

- Glenn
Old 09-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Great Glenn. I've played The Reach for years, but in standard tuning, key of E (it's a challenge in spots). I'm gonna have to try it in Open D now!

Thanks for this,
Hi Marty,

Well, it's wonderful to hear from you, too, Marty! Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and then comment here!

Interesting that you are already familiar with this song. I imagine the song would sound great in the key of E in standard tuning. The way I played this with the capo on the 3rd fret turns out to be in the key of F, so I was singing this a half step (or semi-tone) higher. I did try the song with the capo on the 2nd fret, but for me and my voice, I thought the slightly higher pitch had a little more energy.

If you are interested in an instruction on how to play this in Open D, this one is very close. I wish he had told us what the actual chords were, but he may not know... I worked backwards to figure out what the chords were so I could write it all down.

This is a live recording of Dan Fogelberg playing "The Reach" on his 12-string, Open D, capo on the 3rd fret. He does an awful lot of talking at the beginning of the video. He actually starts the song at about 3:54. The sound quality is not great, but it's nice to hear him play this live, just with his 12-string. I did not care for the elaborate instrumentation on his studio recording too much.

Hope you are well, Marty!

- Glenn
Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11lko View Post
Hi Glenn, I'm new on the forum and at the moment find I have so much to aspire to - and your performance here is a level, I think, I personally will NEVER reach. But hey, I'm sure going to enjoy the learning and trying! lol
Absolutely wonderful my friend. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Regards, Dave
Hi Dave!

Thanks so much for listening and commenting! And welcome to the AGF! I'm glad you are here; I hope you enjoy this place. I think it's a great community! Hopefully, you will learn a lot and contribute a lot back!

I am so glad you enjoyed this performance! I very much appreciate your thoughts and comments. I will check out your YouTube channel!

Cheers Dave!
- Glenn
Old 09-19-2019, 12:38 PM

You are talented & gifted in so many ways.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 09-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
You are talented & gifted in so many ways.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much! That's so nice of you to write considering what you can do on a guitar! I'm really pleased that you feel that this came out reasonably well!

I really do like to find a song to do that works really well with just one voice and one guitar.

Thanks Mike for taking the time to watch and comment! It's very much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 09-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Marty,

I did not care for the elaborate instrumentation on his studio recording too much.

Hope you are well, Marty!

- Glenn
Interesting, as I really love the banjo and strings (synth probably) with the rise and fall wave sound.

This is in my Top three of favorite DF songs, along with Song from Half Mountain and Souvenirs.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

That is just superb. I love your Guild F-512, there is nothing like them in the 12 string universe. Then there is the use of the thumbpick as a flatpick -great.

More please.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 09-19-2019, 11:57 PM

This fits you very well. Great performance.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

This has me GASing for a nice 12-string. Great job man, this one works really well for ya!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Hi Jeremy!

Man! it's wonderful to hear from you! Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment! I had no idea that you were from Maine originally! That's cool! No wonder you were attracted to the Navy!

I hope all is well for you! I am doing quite well!

- Glenn
Sorry for the confusion, you mentioned the photos were from your area of Washington, which is what I was referrring to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell