The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-23-2023, 08:22 PM

Default Side Bending

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for side benders. I've seen the LMI and Bluescreek versions. Any others out there? Personal experiences or recommendations?

Thank you!!
Old 03-23-2023, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

i know the canadian made Troji, originally made by Jean Larrivee and Sergei de Jonge is very popular amongst many of my looth friends as a vise, for purfling, bending,etc. i think mark kett refined it further after them.. i think they run around $400 from Canadian Luthier supply Co.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troji.jpg (35.4 KB, 164 views)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 03-23-2023, 10:06 PM

The first few photos in the link below show how I make a bending fòrm and guitar mold at the same time from chipboard or plywood (better), and how I bent my first guitar sides. I have improved my system since but it worked.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194462...77720296961058

Improved version with a waist "press" made of scrap plywood and 3/8" threaded rod. Before this, I just pressed with welding gloves.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194462...7720296630125/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194462...7720296630125/

How many guitars do you plan to build? If only 1 or 3 do you really want to invest a few hundred $ in something that takes up a lot of space? If a lot, then I can see it.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post

How many guitars do you plan to build? If only 1 or 3 do you really want to invest a few hundred $ in something that takes up a lot of space? If a lot, then I can see it.
Thank you for the great pictures!

I have built many guitars already and plan to build a lot more over many years. The side bender is definitely not a necessity, I'm just considering it seeing as I'm not completely satisfied with the results I get with the iron so far. I'm sure I'll get better eventually, but then there are a lot of other things to get better at in the process already...
Old 03-24-2023, 06:28 AM

If you build guitars from scratch why not just build your own bending machine with plywood and parts from the local hardware store and save the money for the blanket and slats? Making jigs is half the fun with this endeavor when you're just getting started IME.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilQ View Post

I have built many guitars already and plan to build a lot more over many years. The side bender is definitely not a necessity, I'm just considering it seeing as I'm not completely satisfied with the results I get with the iron so far. I'm sure I'll get better eventually, but then there are a lot of other things to get better at in the process already...
If you use a mold, a bending form can be a byproduct of cutting out the mold. My preffered so far is to laminate 6 layers of 1" baltic birch plywood where the centre glue joint has no glue in the outer mold portion. Cut the guitar profile carefully with a bandsaw, then butterfly the outer mold portion and the middle is a 6" wide bending form . I never needed slats on this type of form until I tried a sharp cutaway in padauk with runout.

Bending blankets can be bought reasonably on aliexpress, make sure you get the right voltage and plug.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:26 AM

I agree with those in suggestion of a DIY approach. If possible, with ability, skill level (hand/shop tools) and workspace available, the hands-on satisfaction will be hard to beat. The bending may not be 100% successful on the first attempt, but the seed will have been sown to keep going, and the rewards will come.
Best of luck, and enjoy.!
Old 03-24-2023, 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I don't disagree, it's just that I have many things on the go and I'd rather spend that time building guitars than making jigs. Maybe sticking with the bending iron is the way to go. I was just interested in people's experience with the commercially available models. I've otherwise built all my molds and jigs, and the shop, for that matter!

Cheers
Old 03-24-2023, 10:23 AM

I have used the Blues Creek bender for years. When I bought it, it was about all that was available and the price was in my budget. In assembling I had to clean up some wood on the vertical waist press so it would screw down without binding but otherwise it has worked fine. I have done other modifications (removed lightbulbs, etc.) and now use an LMI heating controllor. As I've acquired some savings, I considered upgrading to the LMI bender as the roller mechanism looks like it would be excellent for maintaining pressure on the sides and minimizing cracking - esp for highly figured woods, but it doesn't look like the LMI unit can accomodate bending a cutaway which is where a side is most likely to fracture. I need to call Chris at LMI and clarify and recommend you do the same before making a decision. If there is a cutaway capability on the LMI unit, there may be one in my future...
Old 03-24-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowhornShoehorn View Post
I have used the Blues Creek bender for years. When I bought it, it was about all that was available and the price was in my budget. In assembling I had to clean up some wood on the vertical waist press so it would screw down without binding but otherwise it has worked fine. I have done other modifications (removed lightbulbs, etc.) and now use an LMI heating controllor. As I've acquired some savings, I considered upgrading to the LMI bender as the roller mechanism looks like it would be excellent for maintaining pressure on the sides and minimizing cracking - esp for highly figured woods, but it doesn't look like the LMI unit can accomodate bending a cutaway which is where a side is most likely to fracture. I need to call Chris at LMI and clarify and recommend you do the same before making a decision. If there is a cutaway capability on the LMI unit, there may be one in my future...
Thanks for the info. I don't do cutaways, so that would not be an issue. Good to know, though!
Old 03-25-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilQ View Post

My question for you is "why haven't you already built/bought one yet?"

I started my first built from blueprints and built the mold/bending forms. They were a lot harder to build than the actual machine itself. I'd be surprised if it cost more than $100 to make. Here it is in use:

I was actually scared to use it until I realized that what I was really missing was a drum sander - which I also build by myself. I don't plan on this being any more than a side hustle though; I'm much too old to entertain the prospect of this being a full time gig.

PS: here's the drum sander. I recycled the cutouts from when I made a wine rack for my wife:

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 03-25-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:40 PM

I have the Blues Creek one and it works quite well. I operate it a bit differently then John does in his videos but either way works. You just have to find a method that works for you and stick to it.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:11 PM

I have a blues creek bending machine and like it quite a bit. Making various side forms is exceptionally easy too with 1/2" plywood. My mentor in Spain has the LMI bender and I think I prefer using that one but making custom forms takes a lot more effort and the price is a bit higher. The blues creek machine comes fully assembled and ready to go also.

In regard to difficulty bending on an iron the shape of your bending iron will play a big role in its ease of use. I had to constantly fight with my Ibex iron (a really badly designed tool) to get decent results but having upgraded to this one bending by hand is significantly faster and easier. Its so much faster in fact that the bending machine is only used for figured/difficult timbers as I can bend both sides by hand in less time than one side takes to cool in the machine.

https://luthiers-bench.com/products/...nt=39642213575
Old 03-29-2023, 05:00 PM

The old Irving Sloane book “Classical Guitar Construction” shows how to make a bending jig from the offcuts from making the mold. However, he exaggerates the bending jig contours from the mold outline to partially compensate for “springback” when the wood comes off the jig.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpin View Post
The old Irving Sloane book “Classical Guitar Construction” shows how to make a bending jig from the offcuts from making the mold. However, he exaggerates the bending jig contours from the mold outline to partially compensate for “springback” when the wood comes off the jig.
Right so I was going to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzkinguitars View Post
I have a blues creek bending machine and like it quite a bit. Making various side forms is exceptionally easy too with 1/2" plywood. My mentor in Spain has the LMI bender and I think I prefer using that one but making custom forms takes a lot more effort and the price is a bit higher. The blues creek machine comes fully assembled and ready to go also.

In regard to difficulty bending on an iron the shape of your bending iron will play a big role in its ease of use. I had to constantly fight with my Ibex iron (a really badly designed tool) to get decent results but having upgraded to this one bending by hand is significantly faster and easier. Its so much faster in fact that the bending machine is only used for figured/difficult timbers as I can bend both sides by hand in less time than one side takes to cool in the machine.

https://luthiers-bench.com/products/...nt=39642213575
Since I will be building a classical guitar form for my Blues Creek bender, did you do said compensation for spring back and find a working formula?

I think it's probably normal to have to bend on a hot pipe even after using the machine to make it perfect but it would be nice to get real close too.

I build on an open work board in the traditional Spanish way so it's important.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair