The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-28-2022, 12:49 PM

Default Bert Jansch tab for Come back baby

Anyone have accurate tab for Bert Jansch's great version of Come Back Baby?
I know it’s only a blues but Bert puts some beautiful touches in there as only he can.
Thanks Paul
Old 09-28-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Nope. Sorry. I have the BJ songbook, with notation and tabs, but that tune is not among them.
David
Old 09-28-2022, 01:43 PM

Not sure if it's possible to download the tab separately and it's been a while since I listened to the original, but this sounds pretty accurate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is5RbJ4tkRM

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 09-28-2022, 07:03 PM

try this link

https://www.classclef.com/come-back-...y-bert-jansch/

Lots of great stuff there
Old 09-29-2022, 06:39 AM

That is indeed a useful link which I will tuck away for future reference...

Thanks

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 10-03-2022, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the link
Old 10-04-2022, 04:00 AM

That link is pretty good, but there is also this book - with full notation and vocal, as well as tab:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bert-Transc.../dp/178558555X

Not free, obviously, but you get 24 tunes in there, and plenty of background and playing tips.

(Disclaimer: I was the one who put it all together, collating and checking.)
Old 10-05-2022, 02:06 AM

I can attest to the fact that Bert Jansch Transcribed is a very fine book indeed.

Not only are the transcriptions detailed and extremely accurate, but it also contains a wealth of other material from technical info to rare photographs and biographical background.

It really is one of the best out there and must-have for any fan of one of the most important acoustic guitarists of our times - great work Jon.

All that notwithstanding, it does not contain Come Back Baby...

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 10-05-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobell View Post
I can attest to the fact that Bert Jansch Transcribed is a very fine book indeed.

Not only are the transcriptions detailed and extremely accurate, but it also contains a wealth of other material from technical info to rare photographs and biographical background.

It really is one of the best out there and must-have for any fan of one of the most important acoustic guitarists of our times - great work Jon.

All that notwithstanding, it does not contain Come Back Baby...

Angus
You are right, of course! (I mean, in every respect ) I clearly had a senior moment back there.

Come Back Baby will, in fact, be in Volume 2, which will hopefully emerge shortly. Everything is done, proof-reading is complete, the only hold-up is waiting for a licensing agreement for two of the tunes from some copyright holder based in the USA... I've not yet been told which two tunes they are. Maybe CBB is one of those?

To whet your appetite, the full list of tunes (by album) is:

Courting Blues
Oh How Your Love Is Strong
Veronica (The Casbah)
It Don't Bother Me
The Wheel
No Exit
The Time Has Come
Come Back Baby
Go Your Way My Love
Love Is Teasing
I Am Lonely
Wishing Well
A Woman Like You
M'Lady Nancy
Rosemary Lane
Tell Me What Is True Love
The January Man
One For Jo
Daybreak
Kingfisher
Ask Your Daddy
Wild Mountaint Thyme
The Road Tae Dundee
Morning Brings Peace of Mind
Toy Balloon
Carnival
Downunder
High Days
My Pocket's Empty
The Old Triangle

Yep, 30 tunes this time! Unless the licensing can't be sorted for those two... (in which case I'd hope to provide two replacements from my archive). The publisher this time is Hal Leonard, so feel free to pester them about a publication date.

This time a few of the tunes have benefitted from seeing Bert's own notation (or midi files), provided by a fellow fan a couple of years back, who Bert sent them to back in the 90s. Only a few, sadly.

One of those pieces was an updated (and abridged) Chambertin, which (luckily!) confirms either the tab in the first book, or the variations I mentioned in the notes. I'm planning on making a youtube for my channel detailing the differences. Here's the channel for those of you who've not discovered it yet: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jonpriley

I've also agreed with the Bert Jansch Foundation to provide transcriptons of any of Bert's other tunes to anyone who asks, for a small(ish) fee - a percentage to go to the BJF (a charity promoting new young acoustic musicians). Up to now, I have occasionally handed out tabs for free - and of course you can find many for free online - but the process is now official! My transcriptions will all be in the same form as in book 1: notation and tab, vocal too, and background and performance tips.
NB: this is only for any tune not in the above list, and (or course) not in book 1 either.

Last edited by JonPR; 10-05-2022 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:37 AM

Wow - I'd meant to ask about Volume 2, and that looks like another embarrassment of riches.

I will keep an eye out, and will definitely be adding it to my collection.

Time to get that Yamaha out of its case I think...

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 10-06-2022, 10:35 AM

Just to add...

The tune called Veronica is the one so-called on his debut album, that he meant to call The Casbah. As you may know, whoever designed the album sleeve and label got those two titles mistakenly switched. The one I chose is the gentle 3/4 tune, beginner level. Not the Davy Graham-inspired one with the tremelo drone and frantic arpeggios....

Oh, and when the book finally comes out, Dariush Kanani and I will be presenting youtube lessons on three of the tunes each.

Last edited by JonPR; 10-06-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:58 AM

Hi Jon - any update on the second volume?

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 06-06-2023, 11:11 AM

Not yet I'm afraid. We've neen told that the licensing issue has been sorted (the problem song was Carnival, so it was whoever owns Jackson C Frank's copyright that was being difficult), but still had no news of publication date.

Geraldine at the Bert Jansch Foundation has been emailing our contact at the publisher, but no reply yet.

Rest assured when we get news I'll post it here! (I mean as a new thread, not just an udate to this one.)

Of course, it would do no harm for any of you folks to pester Hal Leonard for news too... (They have been told that it would have been Bert's 80th this year, an ideal sales boost.)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:48 PM

Can’t wait - have been playing Chambertin, Needle of Death and First Time … this weekend by coincidence . Would love to see Vol 2 make its appearance . Well done on great work
Old 06-06-2023, 04:36 PM

Most of you may know, as I've probably said this before, but you can find some Bert lessons on my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o3mUTKZvm59qEL
Many of those are just demos of the guitar part, but it's a lesson where it says "lesson".

And you can see tab (accompanying Bert playing the songs) for Be My Friend and Kingfisher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nEwyTCh3Kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnbmkVKLkdw

I'm currently planning one on Weeping Willow Blues, but not sure when it will be ready. I'll tell you when!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write