The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-03-2023, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

double post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-05-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I'd be very careful assuming this. In my experience, TRS gets phantom if the XLR is getting phantom. I would check the wiring diagram for an isolated +48 feed just to the XLR connector, if this is important to you.
Humm I was not aware of that . I thought I read somewhere that as long you hit the phantom power button Only After inserting the TRS (in other words do not hot swap with phantom power on ---which of course you should not do with XLR either IMO) that it would not conduct the phantom power--- But maybe that was a specific interface model ??? But yes I agree better to check as I would not want to pass along false info

I believe you can also just plug in the TRS cable into the combi XLR turn on phantom power and use a multimeter to check for 48v DC between the T and S and R and S of the other end of the cable.

But I would tend to agree with the OP being able to switch phantom power on and off,, on an individual per channel basis,, is optimal ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-03-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Routing folders. That’s it. I’ve seen them in various YouTube videos, but never had to learn how to make them work because of the mix knob on the interface. So that’s how everyone does it. I think I would still prefer the simplicity of doing this with a single knob.

USB bus power becomes less prevalent the more preamps an interface has. Motu specifically points out that USB-C is needed if you want to skip the AC adapter, and if your computer has the older USB types, you need the adapter.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 06-05-2023, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Routing folders. That’s it. I’ve seen them in various YouTube videos, but never had to learn how to make them work because of the mix knob on the interface. So that’s how everyone does it. I think I would still prefer the simplicity of doing this with a single knob.

USB bus power becomes less prevalent the more preamps an interface has. Motu specifically points out that USB-C is needed if you want to skip the AC adapter, and if your computer has the older USB types, you need the adapter.
So use the mix knob if that is what you like
But even if you use the mix knob for dubbing BUT typically have multiple instruments and tracks in your session, IMO folders are still very worthwhile and are a great way to organize and make everything very efficient.
Especially if used within user defined session/song templates -because as I have mentioned before, you can be ready to record in the time it takes to turn the computer on . launch S1 and select a template -

FYI Here is a pretty good video on setting up and using folders in Studio One

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-05-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

“Pretty good video:” I’ll say. Yes, that’s the one I watched last year. It’s phenomenally informative. Joe’s a dude.

I’ve always just used busses, but I like how folders show up in the color coded left half of the mixer. Now that I think of it, I used a folder for a French horn quintet in one of my songs — probably after watching this video.

I can envision using folders when I record sections of an instrument’s part, like verse1, chorus, etc. So far they are all in separate tracks sent to busses. I’ve never liked how the buss is all the was over to the right, far from the constituent tracks. Plus, it looks like you can collapse the tracks in mixed view as well as in the arranger? That’s handy.

Thanks for the tip!
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD