The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-02-2023, 02:02 PM

Default Restriction: Copyright (Youtube)

I'm using Youtube to keep my music journal so I upload almost all of my practice and noodling to it. These videos are uploaded as "unlisted"; and I don't have plans to share them with the public.

I'm getting a lot of these copyright notices on my videos when I play pop music; the claimed range covers large portions of the videos.

I'm wondering what the consquences are?

When I clicked on the DETAILS of the notice, I getthe following:

"The Content ID claim on your video doesn't affect your channel. This is not a copyright strike." and "Impact on the video: No impact."

I can't find any info in the Youtube terms and conditions of my account. I've sent feedback to Youtube awhile back, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm wondering, could this "copyright" cause Youtube to remove my videos or the portions under copyright?

These videos are my journal entries, so I'd like to keep them around. Youtube is just very convenient to use (because I can upload to it from anywhere); but if there's a risk, I'll probably move them to my harddrive (which will be inconvenient; so I might have to pay $ for cloud storage).

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Cover songs and tunes are very frequently posted on youtubes. Does not seem to get people kicked off very often (perhaps other issues when that happens). I probably would not try to monetize a cover and always make clear it is a cover song and not some original.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-02-2023, 03:27 PM

During Covid I was part of a "Quarantine Band" that put maybe a dozen covers on Youtube as a way of steering traffic to a shuttered venue's GoFundMe (which is sort of like monetizing) and there was never a problem.

Couch Standards
Old 06-02-2023, 04:02 PM

I've had a few of my covers flagged. All it means is that IF you monetize it, some of the money will go to the copyright holder.

Nothing to worry about.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I had a cover taken down from YT due to "copywrite" issues. (I do not monetize covers.) As a result I no longer listen to or play the artist's music. I won't even mention his name.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-02-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had a cover taken down from YT due to "copywrite" issues. (I do not monetize covers.) As a result I no longer listen to or play the artist's music. I won't even mention his name.
Does it rhyme with "Schmenley?"

Couch Standards
Old 06-02-2023, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No....................

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-02-2023, 05:40 PM

YouTube can take a variety of actions, depending on what the copyright holder desires. Many, as you've found, will simply either not allow you to monetize the video or take a cut of any monetization. That's best case.

Other copywrite holders (often a holding company or label, and *not* actually the artist themselves) will not allow any posting of covers at all, and YouTube can remove the videos. This can also result in a YouTube "strike", I believe. Barry, did your account receive a strike when the video was taken down?

I even had a YouTube livestream yanked right in the middle of the broadcast. Not a cover, but I was playing a clip of a friend from a commercial source. The bots flagged it, the stream was immediately terminated, and my account got a strike. That's probably the most extreme case.

In my case, I probably should have known better, and it was a "rebroadcast" and not a cover, but still... if you don't own the work, you can't predict what will happen on YouTube.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I'm using Youtube to keep my music journal so I upload almost all of my practice and noodling to it. These videos are uploaded as "unlisted"; and I don't have plans to share them with the public.

I'm getting a lot of these copyright notices on my videos when I play pop music; the claimed range covers large portions of the videos.

I'm wondering what the consquences are?

When I clicked on the DETAILS of the notice, I getthe following:

"The Content ID claim on your video doesn't affect your channel. This is not a copyright strike." and "Impact on the video: No impact."

I can't find any info in the Youtube terms and conditions of my account. I've sent feedback to Youtube awhile back, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm wondering, could this "copyright" cause Youtube to remove my videos or the portions under copyright?

These videos are my journal entries, so I'd like to keep them around. Youtube is just very convenient to use (because I can upload to it from anywhere); but if there's a risk, I'll probably move them to my harddrive (which will be inconvenient; so I might have to pay $ for cloud storage).

Thanks.
Seems like the highlighted parts, taken together, pretty much provide the answer.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Here's You Tube's statement of their policy:

https://www.youtube.com/howyoutubewo...ight/#overview

This page is also useful:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797466?hl=en

Chipotle sums up the way it has worked for me in practice , and here's another doc that describes the way it works. Look for section 4, How do I release my cover song on Youtube?

https://blog.groover.co/en/tips/lega...ing-platforms/

To totally avoid any problem, don't post anything you don't *totally* own, meaning original material, or make sure the song is public domain. It doesn't matter if the video is public, unlisted or private. In practice, You Tube allows most covers, as described above, subject to the song owner's cooperation - which you can't know until you try it. The known case to avoid is Eagles songs, tho I'm sure there are others. There is a site called "We Are the Hits" that acts as an intermediary and handles licensing if it's required for covers. I haven't used them myself.

You can occasionally hit snags with anything. I've had my version of Shenandoah "claimed" twice now, both times by the Rolling Stones ???? I don't know if it's a snag in the ContentMatch algorithm, or someone overly aggressive in the Stones' camp, but both times, I just responded explaining that no one from the Stones was even born when that song was written :-) along with some online pointers about the song, and the problem was resolved in my favor both times.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had a cover taken down from YT due to "copywrite" issues. (I do not monetize covers.)
Did Youtube allow you a chance to download it?
Or did Youtube just simply delete it, and then informing you?
Old 06-02-2023, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Did Youtube allow you a chance to download it?
Or did Youtube just simply delete it, and then informing you?
YT removed it, then informed me.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-05-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I bet it was Jimmy Page and the song was “Whole Lotta Love.”
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write