The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-29-2023, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Backing tracks

Just wondering if anyone using any kind of backing tracks? We did our first duet this weekend. Just felt a little empty with 1. Guitar and 2 vocals. Looking for something simple just to add a little. If so, what company do you use? Cost? Thx
Old 05-29-2023, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

I have always built my own backing tracks if there is a need for one.

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2023, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have always built my own backing tracks if there is a need for one.

- Glenn
- - -This.- - -
Old 05-30-2023, 04:29 AM

There used to be a program called Band in a box. You could program in a range of instruments and use them for backing tracks. They were a bit robotic back then. Today their equivalents will have improved. If you can do Notation then programs like Musescore or the ABC format EasyABC can be used to write a track and export an audio file. They are both free to download but might present a steep learning curve..
Old 05-30-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansenku View Post
Just wondering if anyone using any kind of backing tracks? We did our first duet this weekend. Just felt a little empty with 1. Guitar and 2 vocals.
From a performer's point of view, I know exactly how you feel. As an audience member, though, I'm not crazy about backing tracks; I'd rather have it be a little empty but real. I'm not everyone, though. You may want to do a bit of "focus grouping" and ask people at your gigs what they think.

Couch Standards
Old 05-30-2023, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
From a performer's point of view, I know exactly how you feel. As an audience member, though, I'm not crazy about backing tracks; I'd rather have it be a little empty but real. I'm not everyone, though. You may want to do a bit of "focus grouping" and ask people at your gigs what they think.
That would be me too. I like to keep it sparse, mic' the guitar rather than plug in, and steer clear of any sound enhancement on guitar or vocals. My practice is all about holding the space.

With two voices and one guitar you could really pull off something special. Just watch John Prine and Nancy Griffiths doing Speed of the sound of Loneliness live.. Tim O'Brian and Jan Fabricius are another duo to watch. You really have to do very little for the gig to sound great out front. The "trick" is to get that spirit of "3 chords and the truth" between yourselves and your audience. Then you won't feel the need to fill out the backing.

Having said all that, for some performers the complex backing they built very much defines their music. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just not a direction for me.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 05-30-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansenku View Post
1. Guitar and 2 vocals.
Simon & Garfunkel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write