The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 AM

Default YouTab plays tabs and chords with a video

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not my apologies.

I've been working on and application to show tabs and chords synced to a video. It has a player and editor and I've made many efforts in making it simple and useful. It will be great to hear what you have to say.

Here's a demo song that a user uploaded:
http://www.you-tab.com/tabs/adam-raf...6-deec3007b173

Hope you like it.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 AM

I like it. Would be great if one could pick any youtube clip and automatically use this application to any track, but I guess thats a bit of dreaming, isnt it ?

So I guess you simply choose the song, record it on video and apply the rolling tab next to it ?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 AM

It's not such a dream, I have a few good leads on how to automate the process, but it's still theoretical. So it's in my pipeline, but first I'm concentrating on getting this right. So that means building correct chord completions and making the editing process as simple as possible. Still a lot of work to be done.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoodit View Post
Hope you like it.
1 vote of yay
Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 AM

very nice work, but I hope you are Adam cause I'm not sure he'd appreciate you posting his stuff in here without his permission!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 AM

It looks great!

One thing you may want to add is the notation, always easier to read tab when the rhythm is notated.

If you could also put in a feature to slow down the video in increments, that would also be helpful.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Hi yoodit...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and posted your ideas...

Impressive. Being one who occasionally 'transcribes' notation for others, it looks like prepping a video like this would be a lot of work, but the results are really the issue.

If I'm sitting down with pencil and score sheets, it's much quicker than laboriously 'typing' it into scoring software. However, the typed approach is better because others sometimes have issues reading my scrawl.

If you can streamline the entry process to the point that it consumes a reasonable amount of time getting it 'web-ready' then it's probably worthwhile to pursue it on behalf of musicians for players.

I don't see auto-transcribing as much of a possibility since the same 'exact' notes can be played several places on the neck, and software cannot discern that without equipping a camera to read the visual aspect of the neck.

Please keep us posted.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Hi lj,

Thanks, glad to be here. I appreciate your input, it's great to hear what musician experience when using my app. It took a long time and a serious effort to build it and I hope that it helps a lot of people play.

I agree that auto transcribing is difficult, but I think I have an interesting approach that might actually work. I will most surely keep you posted.

Best regards.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM

This looks really good. I like the way the tab is highlighted as it plays, and also the fretboard that lights up with the fingerings. The only thing I can think of is a way to slow it down (like Transcribe! does) so that you can actually follow and play along as you learn. At full speed I don't see any way to be able to follow it. I think you've got a good start at a great app here. Hope it will be cross-platform - Mac and Windows.

Jack
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Looks great.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM

I agree with JCook - a slow motion feature would be invaluable and your approach will hit limitations pretty quickly for faster tunes.

But very cool nonetheless.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
tabs, video, youtab, youtube