The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

I have a 322ce-14f Hog/Tasmanian Blackwood on its way starting tomorrow.

I decided that I am going to sell one of my GS Minis and also sell the Furch Little Jane Travel guitar I recently purchased. I love the GS Minis too much to get rid of both of them, so the Shaded Edge Koa will remain as my travel guitar.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
I have a 322ce-14f Hog/Tasmanian Blackwood on its way starting tomorrow.
I have that wood combo on my 324 and love it. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM

Is there much size difference overall between the GS Mini and a 12 fret GC? I’ve been considering this as well
Fender MIM Tele
Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I have a spreadsheet I keep of dimensions of a number of guitars, especially smaller ones I'm interested in or own or have owned. It includes the GS Mini and the GC. Additions and corrections welcome.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

This page is helpful about the Taylor GC 12-fret vs 14-fret differences, and includes a good photo showing the differences. The neck is shorter, but the other dimensions look the same: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...cialty/12-fret
Old 01-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
Is there much size difference overall between the GS Mini and a 12 fret GC? I’ve been considering this as well
You can compare them side-by-side w/specs on the Taylor website.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/compare
Old 01-18-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I have a spreadsheet I keep of dimensions of a number of guitars, especially smaller ones I'm interested in or own or have owned. It includes the GS Mini and the GC. Additions and corrections welcome.

This page is helpful about the Taylor GC 12-fret vs 14-fret differences, and includes a good photo showing the differences. The neck is shorter, but the other dimensions look the same: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...cialty/12-fret
WOW, you are the man! I keep specs as well but I could not find bout dimensions or anything like that for the Taylor GCs on the entire internet, no one seems to measure those.

Bookmarked that page, thanks again
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There really isn't. Using @dhalberts' spreadsheet you can see most of the dimensions are <1 in. bigger. I think that's why I preferred the GS Mini in the first place. It has a shorter scale length but the body is bigger than any other parlor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post

Not really, the only think you'll get through that comparison system is nut width and woods used. It's laughable
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Not really, the only think you'll get through that comparison system is nut width and woods used. It's laughable
Maybe you should take another look. It shows body length, lower bout width, and body depth, which are the three essential body measurements.

Gives a lot of other information as well, including the type of bracing.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:

They don’t give you overall length. Just enough info to take a rough guess. I’ve seen a side by side pic of a GS Mini and a grand concert.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 01-18-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
They don’t give you overall length. Just enough info to take a rough guess. I’ve seen a side by side pic of a GS Mini and a grand concert.
Understood, overall length depends on the scale and neck join--even the size of the headstock. Taylor doesn't give you upper bout or waist measurements either, which I consider more important than overall guitar length (most makers don't, including Martin). Gibson gives even less info.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Says on the google doc that the gs mini is among the largest string spacing-at-saddle of any of the guitars (several as large, none larger). Can that be true?

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-18-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I own a GS mini and a 512e 12 fret, same size as the 322, both are GC size. Here is a picture of both mine side by side. It doesn't look like a huge difference but in your lap or standing up you notice it. That said the GC size 512 12 fret is really comfy to play.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money View Post
Says on the google doc that the gs mini is among the largest string spacing-at-saddle of any of the guitars (several as large, none larger). Can that be true?
That was a typo, fixed to 2 3/16", which is Taylor standard. Thanks for catching that!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
....It has a shorter scale length but the body is bigger than any other parlor.....
GC's are closer to size 0 or 00 than a parlor. However, there isn't really a set-in-stone definition of parlor size used in the industry. Both GC and GS Mini could be called "parlors". I find the GC to be far more comfortable to play for my left hand based on the scale length (GS Mini 23.5" vs GC 24-7/8") and nut width (Mini 1-11/16" vs GC 1-3/4"). YMMV.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money View Post
Yes, it is actually larger than the rest of the Taylor line, but with that said...

Quote:
That was a typo, fixed to 2 3/16", which is Taylor standard. Thanks for catching that!
You were actually correct in the previous measurement, if it was 2-1/4". Taylor states that the saddle spacing on the GS Mini is 2-1/4", but I took my calipers to one of my GS Minis the other day and it was 2-3/16". It was a 2017 model, so I'm curious if Taylor switched over to 2-3/16". Most of the information on the internet that you will find will state the spacing as 2-1/4".
- Lazy River Weissenborn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion