The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 11:56 PM

Default Have anyone heard of Maestro Guitars

Check this guitar out. Has great specifications for its price, including an arm-rest and all solid build.
What do you think of its tone? I am considering getting this
https://www.youtube.com/embed/sPv_LgBlXYA
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes

Last edited by Iain1231; 09-21-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:30 AM

The only Maestro guitars I know were those ultra-cheap imports, mostly or completely all electrics, imported by Gibson. They sold for under $100 at Best Buy. You can still find them for sale on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace by sellers who just call them "Gibson" guitars or maybe "Gibson guitar, Maestro model."
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-21-2020, 12:34 AM

Iain, the Maestro brand used to be Gibson’s import line that was even cheaper than the least expensive Epiphone guitars. None that I have played have been worth playing, much less owning. (I do admit that I never saw or played very many examples, and that it’s a distinct possibility that I was simply never around the better examples.) But as a general rule I haven’t been impressed by them.

However, it’s not impossible that another guitar company might have purchased the Maestro brand name from Gibson and is now doing more with the guitars than Gibson ever did.

I realize that doesn’t fully answer your question, but my only previous experiences with Maestro guitars has been with all-plywood entry level instruments.

My suggestion is that you track down their website, if you haven’t already, and look into whether they mention any connection with Gibson. Previously the Maestro guitar magazine ads made a big deal of the “Maestro by Gibson” catchphrase.

This has led to some of those instruments being listed as Gibsons on Craigslist, and you only discover what the guitar actually is when you open the listing and then see that it’s a “Maestro by Gibson” cheapo guitar.

So look for the current Maestro website, and if there’s any remaining Gibson connection you won’t be able to miss it.

Short version: Maestro used to be Gibson’s cheapest import line, and none that I ever played were instruments that I’d want to own. But maybe some other firm bought the brand name and is trying to bring the quality level up some.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

Edit: I see where Ralph already said the same basic things that I said. He just got done and posted while I was still writing mine!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:53 AM

But you said it better.

However ... I just checked the trademark history for Maestro and AFAIK it is still showing ownership by Gibson Brands Inc. It was renewed in 2016 and the renewal period is for 10 years so I'm stumped.

https://trademarks.justia.com/769/78...-76978291.html

This Maestro's Facebook page seems to show the company's HQ is in Singapore.

I don't know the ramifications of trademark law as it applies to different countries. For example these popular Firefly electric guitars stem from a company based in China but there are also the fund-raising-oriented Firefly guitars that have no relationship whatsoever. And there is also the Firefly model sold by the Santa Cruz Guitar Company.

I'm surprised Gibson hasn't stepped in to call a foul.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-21-2020, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Hey there Iain!

Yes I have owned several and currently have a custom Cedar/EIR Raffles.

I have purchased directly from the builder and the transaction was smooth as silk.

Tonally they are modern sounding. I compared mine to a friends 814 v-class and the Maestro was superior in ever way that mattered. More 3 dimensional sounding, full rich low end and the Maestro had sooooo much more dynamic range... When pushed hard the Maestro made the 814 sound like an aneimic church mouse.

I've had multiple friends try to buy it but I'll never sell. She is a lifer and this is coming from someone who goes through guitars like socks.

Probably going to snag another before the years end.

https://www.maestroguitars.com/steel-string-guitars/

Check them out!

Bear
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 AM

That’s very interesting, Bear. Thanks for the link.

Whether or not Maestro has gained its independence from Gibson, the website Bear gave us shows that Maestro guitars have been completely changed from poor quality plywood cheapos to a wide array of completely different body shapes and models.

So, Bear, I take it that your Maestro was made from all solid woods - am I correct about that? I’m currently on my phone, and the Maestro website has a really annoying little window that kept dropping down and covering most of what I was trying to read, so eventually I gave up on trying to learn any more about the guitars from that.

When I get back to my desktop computer I’ll try again to figure it out.

whm
Old 09-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

This Maestro from Singapore is often mistaken with Gibson. This is not that Maestro. Maestro from Singapore is a completely different guitar altogether created from ground up. The luthier has various models and their highest end model has Somogyi influence. The luthier has had voicing classes from Somogyi a few years back. I owned two of the high end model and is far superior to Taylor 814 as Bear mentioned. See my thread below.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=486319
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Default Maestro

North American guitar company in NASHVILLE carry them and there are videos on their website
They are made in Singapore
Old 09-21-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Another Maestro Raffles owner here. After almost buying one of Bear's, I took the plunge on a used one at a dealer when I missed out on his sale.

It is a stunning guitar visually and the craftmanship is top notch. There is a lot packed into that price point and one might expect to spend 2x for similar woods and appointments from other builders.

I find it to be very articulate from string to string and very well balanced. I believe it is more suited to fingerstyle than heavy strumming.

The only thing I don't love about mine is that the finish (which I believe to be polyurethane) seems just a tad thick on it. I probably would have preferred a slightly wider nut width as well, but that is just me.

But I love mine and am not in any hurry to consider selling it. Not sure if it will be a lifer for me, but it is definitely going to stay in the stable for a little while at the very least.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Maestro from Singapore

I played a 14 fretter with a body the size of a Taylor's grand concert. It had a spruce top and a side and back of wood more exotic than rosewood. Sorry for the vagueness, but the build quality was high, the neck felt great (towards a Taylor geometry), and the balance of low to high tones was beautiful. The only drawback was the visual appearance of the guitar body's exterior - to me, the trim was proportionally too large, the various stains weren't the most complementary and the entire body appeared coated and/or buffed to an exceedingly glossy state.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That’s very interesting, Bear. Thanks for the link.

Whether or not Maestro has gained its independence from Gibson, the website Bear gave us shows that Maestro guitars have been completely changed from poor quality plywood cheapos to a wide array of completely different body shapes and models.

So, Bear, I take it that your Maestro was made from all solid woods - am I correct about that? I’m currently on my phone, and the Maestro website has a really annoying little window that kept dropping down and covering most of what I was trying to read, so eventually I gave up on trying to learn any more about the guitars from that.

When I get back to my desktop computer I’ll try again to figure it out.

whm
Hey Wade!

Yes they are a completely different company as Pandaroo stated. They have never had anything to do with that lower end Gibson brand.

The one that is currently in my stable I got used from GC of all places. They originally called me to help them price it out for a buy in because they had never seen one before. An employee and a customer tried to buy it before I got down there and I live 20 mins away.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:51 PM

Sounds like everyone have had great experiences with their guitars. Recently they released a budget friendly line, an example of which which Is the guitar in my link above. Looks like I might just take a plunge and get that guitar
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 09-22-2020, 01:28 AM

Hi guys,

"Maestro Guitars" is a Singapore Brand founded by Ho Zen. It is not at all related to the "Maestro by Gibson" brand. In the North American market the guitars were at one stage marketed as Ho Zen Luthier from what I understand. From here on, I'll call Maestro Guitars (from Singapore) - Maestro.

Maestros are not made in Singapore- they are made in China by a team with very hands on involvement by Ho Zen who has attended the Somogyi voicing course.

Over the years the quality of Maestro's has increased and new features and aesthetics have also been incorporated. Of note, the quality is pretty much equivalent to most small to mid sized American or European workshops.

Tonally, Ho Zen is great at capturing a certain sound and most of the moden voiced guitars take a leaf from the responsiveness of Ervin's guitars and I feel marry it with a bit more of that balanced sparkle I associate with the early L'arrivees.

The tradionally series, I have been impressed with. In fact when I tried one out, I thought it sounded Froggy-esque.

Finish wise- most sport what I like to call a "diamond gloss" finish, something very glossy, but inorganic. It's a more durable finish though, and stays glossy.

What the OP was showing was the project X which is the solid woods entry line, which I think is a great guitar especially for the price.

Last edited by Guitarbench; 09-22-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:44 AM

I don't think Hozen is at the level of many small shop luthiers yet. However his guitars are priced well in comparison to Taylor's and Martins.
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion