The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 AM

Default Bridge Lifted/Damage to top wood

Assuming bracing is fine, how extensive is bridge removal and repair where the bridge is lifted, and the bridge plate has pulled thru the top of the guitar - what is the general cost of this? My guess is $200-$300? Also, can humidifying a guitar, with c-clamps and a back of wood behind the bridge, lower belly bulge behind the bridge?

I know - general question w/o photos. The link below is the best I could find;

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eSMe-WISpl...0/IMG_1229.JPG

Thanks.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 PM

I have run into this problem and I noticed no one chimed in yet. Wood damage is a real problem and I have put this out here before with no advise. I ended up recessing the bridge into the top a little because too much filler wont hold. I think your estimate could be pretty close on bridge repair. As far as top belly, it would go right back unless you install some bracing such as a bridge doctor to hold it. Most guitars (and guitarists) have a bit of belly, not a problem unless you need string action to come down. When a guitar gets pulled like that however it can really disfigure the top. Find a reputable luthier and they will generally give a look see for free. Hard to determine from a photo. The top may be destroyed, I ran into that trying to fix an old 12 string. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 PM

With that amount of damage, a first hand inspection is required to provide any meaningful input. Based on the photo, more than $300.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Assuming bracing is fine, how extensive is bridge removal and repair where the bridge is lifted, and the bridge plate has pulled thru the top of the guitar - what is the general cost of this? My guess is $200-$300? Also, can humidifying a guitar, with c-clamps and a back of wood behind the bridge, lower belly bulge behind the bridge?
Damage as per description not photo, if you do it the right way, which is remove bridge, graft in freshwood to the top, possibly new bridge plate, refit repaired bridge, paint touch up, set of strings and a setup, 6-700 odd dollars or new top 900-1300.

Or

Cheap way, remove bridge, epoxy another bridge plate over the old one, reglue the bridge back down with epoxy as well, new strings and a setup, 250ish

As far as top wood that has bellied, once a bridge is off, you can clamp and steam it flattish again, whether it returns is a factor of causal, was it caused by seperation of the bridge to start with, if yes then it will remain flat, was it because the braces are too light, then yes it will return, many other causal effects as well, these are just two examples

The photo you linked, looks more like too much finish and the bridge was glued to the finish not the top, it looks worse than what i suspect it actually is.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-19-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Damage as per description not photo, if you do it the right way, which is remove bridge, graft in freshwood to the top, possibly new bridge plate, refit repaired bridge, paint touch up, set of strings and a setup, 6-700 odd dollars or new top 900-1300.

Or

Cheap way, remove bridge, epoxy another bridge plate over the old one, reglue the bridge back down with epoxy as well, new strings and a setup, 250ish

As far as top wood that has bellied, once a bridge is off, you can clamp and steam it flattish again, whether it returns is a factor of causal, was it caused by seperation of the bridge to start with, if yes then it will remain flat, was it because the braces are too light, then yes it will return, many other causal effects as well, these are just two examples

The photo you linked, looks more like too much finish and the bridge was glued to the finish not the top, it looks worse than what i suspect it actually is.

Steve
Interesting about the epoxy Steve. I have a few cheapos to repair. This may be a down and dirty way to reapply bridge, any particular brand and have you tried this. Wood filler not good I have experienced.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 PM

Any long cure epoxy is fine (typically 24hr stuff), 5 minute epoxy IMO is no good

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Or

Steve
Lost track of this thread. Here's what happened.

$500.00 total. I pickup the Yamaha L5A Monday. Excited. Didn't need a neck reset, and the $500.00 included a professional set up. I have an all solid Yamaha (1981) for the investment above. Can't complain. And won't!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-11-2019, 01:45 AM

Good to hear positive stories, if the repairer/lutheir/guitar techs work was good, give them a recommendation below..

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Good to hear positive stories, if the repairer/lutheir/guitar techs work was good, give them a recommendation below..

Steve
I'll do that, once I pick it up tomorrow.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair