The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Knowing what I know now and doing it all over again, I'd definitely save up a bit longer and then look for a used/mint 2018 (Reimagined) D-35 with the 1 3/4 nut MLO/PA taper neck.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 PM

Try and get your hands on a used DSR or MMV and see if you like them. They are well within your budget used. They have sitka top and eir back and sides. They have 15 series bracing pattern if I remember correctly. They are essentially the same guitars except the MMV has gloss top and gold hardware. Best of luck in your search.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Of course on a budget of $1200 or less
I've got a nice Yamaha A3M but I'd like a Martin
I'm looking at the Classic D custom for $979. Or a DRS2 for $829 .or ??
I really like a refined tone, lots of.overtones. All opinions welcomed
Both of the two you mentioned would be at or near the top of my list at that price. Excellent choice.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:49 PM

Overtones. Rosewood.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 PM

I bought a $700.00 Guitar from Martin about 10 years ago. When it arrived I noticed that the spruce top had a bow in it. I sent it back to the factory and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I got the impression that they were telling me, "you get what you pay for". Spoke with them on the phone. They were not very nice. I will never go back to them again. Others have had excellent experiences with them. I have not.

Eventually the whole top of the guitar peeled up from the sides.

Lonnie
Old 06-24-2018, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

A friend has a MMV, and it is a very sweet guitar. This is a guy who could easity afford a D 28, he just didn't feel the need to after playing the MMV.

Certainly play a 15 series, but they aren't for everyone. A few years ago Martin built a D 16 adi top that was special. A used one might be found.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-24-2018, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo View Post
I bought a $700.00 Guitar from Martin about 10 years ago. When it arrived I noticed that the spruce top had a bow in it. I sent it back to the factory and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I got the impression that they were telling me, "you get what you pay for". Spoke with them on the phone. They were not very nice. I will never go back to them again. Others have had excellent experiences with them. I have not.

Eventually the whole top of the guitar peeled up from the sides.

Lonnie
There is some truth to what you say and I don't doubt your story. I once overheard a guy just lambasting a guitar store sales guy over some bearclaw in a Taylor GS mini. He kept his composure but it was all I could do to tell the guy to buy a "real" guitar if he wanted the good wood. LOL. They get all kinds of people. No excuse not to be civil though.

I don't for the life of me know why Martin would put their name on anything below the 15 series. They used to have the Sigma brand as their import line.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Default First Martin

I am reticent to tell anyone what to buy. I can only relate my experience. I started playing acoustic guitar about a year ago. I also wanted a Martin and purchased a GPRS1 from GC on sale for a little over $619. The idea of dropping $2500-$3K on a new standard series seemed impractical based on my limited skills. It was a good guitar, but limited and not great. It also was built like a tank and is very heavy. I happened to stop at a boutique shop in IL and they had a 000-18 right next to the RS1. I noticed the -18 weighed about 1/2 of the RS and the tone and playability were light years ahead of the RS. I sold the RS and went in search of its replacement. I lost about $150 when I resold it - about 25% of what I paid for it. I have bought and sold about 6-7 guitars over the last year and the RS is the only one in which I lost a good percentage of my initial cost. The remainder were all purchased used. About 2 months ago I stumbled upon a used 2016 000-18 on Reverb. I bought it. It is light weight, responsive, great neck feel and I recently had it professionally set up with Martin Retros. It is just an amazing little guitar that will have to be pried from cold dead hands. The moral for me was to not buy the headstock, but look for the "one". I found mine. Now on to find the next "one".
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Knowing what I know now and doing it all over again, I'd definitely save up a bit longer and then look for a used/mint 2018 (Reimagined) D-35 with the 1 3/4 nut MLO/PA taper neck.
This is pretty much what I did back in 1969. I still have my D-35.

Working through the sponsors on the forum can help a buyer save a lot of money. Buying guitar after guitar as you get better and want more ends up costing a lot of money. I was pretty lucky that I was able to get a guitar 49 years ago that has stayed with me.

I have purchased some other guitars in recent years just to experience more of what is out there, and it's been fun. But if the only acoustic guitar I ever owned was that 1967 D-35, I would still be a happy guitar player.

- Glenn
Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You mention lot's of overtones, that sounds like rosewood, not mahogany. I second Wade's recommendation, a used Martin OM-21. Or a D-28 might be easier to find used, but I think of smaller guitars having a refined, balanced sound,.. 00s and OMs.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:11 AM

I have a DRS-1 and I love it. Among other things the pickup on it is insanely good. I haven't played the upper scale Martin's much though so I can't really compare. This is the only downside to the forum, they always make you want more gear.

From what I've heard their all fantastic instruments and I wish you the best anyway you go.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You've gotten typical responses for this place ''just save another $xxx and you can get xxx guitar''. If you had said you only had $900, they would have said to save another $300 and you can get a Classic D or a DRS2. Both are excellent guitars that you will be very happy with. If it was me, I'd look for 1 3/4 nut but that's up to you.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:34 AM

Martin Custom D Classic. I've owned an older version of that guitar for about 10 years now. Incredible value and just a terrific guitar.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Your first Martin?
Multiple upgrades makes money go poof.
Buying your last guitar first may seem expensive, but in the long run it's cheaper.

In 1977 at age 19 I bought a new D-55, Guild's top of the line dreadnought.
Though very expensive for me at my income then, 41 years later it has cost me only 4 cents a day.
But most importantly it's a guitar I have never felt the need to 'upgrade'.
No money for this guitar went poof.
Plus I have enjoyed the daily thrill of playing a D-55 for 41 years.

IMO I'd save more and wait till you can afford a Martin standard series D-18 or D-28, depending on the tonewood you prefer.
OK, I will add to the typical AGF response of “Try and put in a few more (hundred!) dollars and get a nice used D18/28/21/15 or whatever”)

MY first Martin was a DM which has solid spruce top with laminated back and sides, (mahogany-ish, maybe sapele?) I won’t say it was a waste of money, because it is a pretty nice guitar that my pal now owns; but it did not satisfy me for long before I felt the need for a “REAL” Martin and got a well used (genuine mojo!) D28 for about £800.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:48 AM

I'd probably save a few more bucks while I looked at a bunch of considerably used rosewood guitars. The beauty of acoustic guitars is that you don't play the finish, and you can get a lot of bang for your buck in the used market.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion