The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Another neck reset question

Any extra concern with a relatively young instrument (10-15yr range) in need of a neck reset? Do you think it's an indication that it might be a recurring problem in another 10 years? I just got the guitar so I don't know how it's been treated in the past.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 PM

That is not my experience. I am in my 34th year as a full-time repairman, including over 1400 neck resets.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 AM

I think if anything it will sure it up even better for the future. I'm sort of thinking out loud here but... The top and the rest of the guitar affected by the string tension has already moved and settled and has sort of found it's happy place so to speak. So now you just need to make an adjustment and any further movement due to string tension will be much less.

Guitars tend to change a lot withing the first week, month and year that they are in existence. I used to 'build' that into the guitar by making a saddle just a hair taller then normal so you can first take down the action at the saddle. Now that I use a bolt on neck I'm not so worried about it though I still like to aim high for that reason.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, that's reassuring. My first time down this path.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair