The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Default 2016 Gibson Memphis ES-339 Studio

Well.... I gave in. I bought my first Gibson today.. The Cyber Monday sale from CME was just too good to pass up on. I got the guitar for $807 shipped to my front door. I know these retail for $1799. There will be a NGD thread when she arrives hopefully by the end of the week!

Ty

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-27-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Congrats! Great score. People who own them love them!

Looking forward to your NGD post.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-27-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Congrats! Great score. People who own them love them!

Looking forward to your NGD post.

Thank you! I am really excited. Although my wife reminded me today... and she quoted me saying “I will never buy a Gibson” after hearing about their quality is on the downfall. But I’m hoping and praying this will make me a Gibson believer!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM

At the price you got it at especially worth it. Haven’t spent any time on one but they look real comfortable.

I have hesitated pulling the trigger on any Epis because I hope to one day land the big brother version.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
At the price you got it at especially worth it. Haven’t spent any time on one but they look real comfortable.

I have hesitated pulling the trigger on any Epis because I hope to one day land the big brother version.

Yeah, Epiphones have their place, but as a seasoned musician, I tend to need equipment that provides great tone and can be reliable on stage. My father-in-law has an Epiphone 339 that plays incredible! I’ll probably make a post comparing the two with my thoughts on playability versus quality versus price. But I imagine this Gibson will be a delight to play.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
Thank you! I am really excited. Although my wife reminded me today... and she quoted me saying “I will never buy a Gibson” after hearing about their quality is on the downfall. But I’m hoping and praying this will make me a Gibson believer!
I think much of their quality problems were due to difficulty in getting raw materials. The problem has apparently eased up.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Great deal on a really nice guitar. Congrats!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:21 PM

The ES-339 has been my "wishlist" guitar since they first came out. Unfortunately, two kids came before I could get the guitar, so it's been eluding me. I've also considered the Epi version (especially the P-90 equipped models), but have been holding out for a proper Gibby. Cheers on your purchase, I'll be living vicariously through you!
Old 11-28-2017, 11:32 AM

UPDATE** - There was mixup with Chicago Music Exchange and my guitar had already been bought (it was after hours). They upgraded me to $1050 Gibson ES-335 in a Ginger Sunburst finish. The best part? Since it was there mistake, they kept me at $807! I am ecstatic! I had always wanted a 335, but the 339 appealed to me because of the smaller body size, but we are all acoustic players here, so I’m sure the body size won’t be an issue.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
UPDATE** - There was mixup with Chicago Music Exchange and my guitar had already been bought (it was after hours). They upgraded me to $1050 Gibson ES-335 in a Ginger Sunburst finish. The best part? Since it was there mistake, they kept me at $807! I am ecstatic! I had always wanted a 335, but the 339 appealed to me because of the smaller body size, but we are all acoustic players here, so I’m sure the body size won’t be an issue.
Congrats! The 339 will sound a little different than a 335 but you may find it more comfortable to play. When will you get it?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats! The 339 will sound a little different than a 335 but you may find it more comfortable to play. When will you get it?

Hoping for Friday, but I don’t know yet.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:37 PM

Absent the mixup I was anxious to ask you about the 339's neck. The non-Studios definitely have the choice between some kind of vintage 50s profile and the 60/30, which is a slightly thicker 60s slimfast, or something. I can't pin down what neck profile is on the studio.

While waiting for a Gibson 339, I bought a cheap epi version and it's got a Slimtaper "D" that I find a little thick compared to my LP and Gibson 390 (390 is Taylor-slim).

I also wanted to know why some 330 Studios have 2 vols and tones, while others are limited to 1 each. I have a LP studio ('93) and the only differences back then were binding and bling.

While I'm a fan of the smaller body 339/390, I'm sure you'll love the 335 - it's most peoples' keeper.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Absent the mixup I was anxious to ask you about the 339's neck. The non-Studios definitely have the choice between some kind of vintage 50s profile and the 60/30, which is a slightly thicker 60s slimfast, or something. I can't pin down what neck profile is on the studio.

While waiting for a Gibson 339, I bought a cheap epi version and it's got a Slimtaper "D" that I find a little thick compared to my LP and Gibson 390 (390 is Taylor-slim).

I also wanted to know why some 330 Studios have 2 vols and tones, while others are limited to 1 each. I have a LP studio ('93) and the only differences back then were binding and bling.

While I'm a fan of the smaller body 339/390, I'm sure you'll love the 335 - it's most peoples' keeper.

I saw the 2017 studios (both 335 and 339) have Traditional ‘C’ necks, while the 2016s had Soft ‘C’. Do you know what Soft ‘C’ means?

All Studio models prior to 2016 had 1 tone and 1 volume knob. 2016 and 2017 have 2 each like its older brothers (standard, vintage, etc).

I love the 339 body size as my father-in-law has an Epi Pro. It’s a killer guitar for $400 used..

I have had the bigger 335 body size in the past. It just has never been a Gibson. Hoping the quality far exceeds my expectations.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I saw the 2017 studios (both 335 and 339) have Traditional ‘C’ necks, while the 2016s had Soft ‘C’. Do you know what Soft ‘C’ means?

All Studio models prior to 2016 had 1 tone and 1 volume knob. 2016 and 2017 have 2 each like its older brothers (standard, vintage, etc).

I love the 339 body size as my father-in-law has an Epi Pro. It’s a killer guitar for $400 used..

I have had the bigger 335 body size in the past. It just has never been a Gibson. Hoping the quality far exceeds my expectations.
Thanks to my 390, I have an understanding of Gibson's Slimtaper "C" (which I like, but which some say is too skinny), but I've not seen/played a Traditional or a Soft "C". I know an Epi "D" has shoulders where a "C" does not, but that's as far as I can take the analysis - wonder if a "soft C" is squished a bit so it's on its way to a mild V, but not quite? Sounds like I wouldn't be able to buy sight unseen on 339 necks. Based on what I've read, "Traditional" for Gibson might mean a thickish neck, as used by them in the 50s. I'll be interested to hear your impression.

I've got the same epi pro 339 as your FIL, so you know that neck, which Epi calls its "Slimtaper D". The problem for some is that Epi's neck names are pretty meaningless, as very different shapes/profiles can bear the same name. I do love the epi 339, and am hanging on to it to see if my capacity will grow into loving that D neck profile. I'm new to guitar, but have heard more experienced people who play a lot complain about hand pain/fatigue from thin necks, so it may be that I like the thin 390 neck because I'm new to the game, it's easy to play, and I don't play a lot, or for long.

Anyway, thanks for the 339 info - I'm glad they went back to dual vol/tone controls.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 PM

Congrats on the 335! They are magic IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars