The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 06:11 PM

I have the regular Paige (not the click) and also the Shubb Fine Tune capo. The Paige is less than a third of the price of the Shubb and seems to work as well as the Shubb. In fact, I've had the Shubb pop off my guitar in the middle of a song, but I've never had that happen with the Paige. Neither pull the strings out of tune and neither reduce the resonance. I never worry about the Paige popping off while playing you can buy 3 1/2 of them for the price of the Shubb.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 PM

I have several Paige capo's. They work well I use Shubbs most of the time. Trying the new G7 Ultra light right now. Paige is a good capo for the price.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

I've been using the paige for a few years and I like them a bit better than the Shubb. The only gripe I have with the paige is that the last 2 that I've purchased came with a very slick rubber vs the older ones that were almost on the rough side.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 PM

I used standard Paige on my Kinscherff for years. It served me well until I bought a Martin OM-16GT. On that guitar, the Paige wouldn't work at the eighth fret. At that time, I bought a capo of another design, but that was the only problem I had with it. The Paige did work just fine at the eighth fret on my Kinscherff.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 PM

I use the Paige Click on both my OMs. I have a few other capos, but these are my favorite. Stays parked above the nut, slides easily in place when I need it. Hassle free as far as my experience.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

I like paige capos. One size does not fit all but that is probably true of most brands using this style capo. I do want to try a click but don't think it will make a big difference
Old 01-29-2017, 06:05 AM

I haven't used Paige capos, but they seem to be regarded pretty highly, especially for how inexpensive they are. I own (and use daily) a Shubb Fine Tune capo that performs wonderfully. It was easily worth the $75
Old 01-29-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
I have the regular Paige (not the click) and also the Shubb Fine Tune capo. The Paige is less than a third of the price of the Shubb and seems to work as well as the Shubb. In fact, I've had the Shubb pop off my guitar in the middle of a song, but I've never had that happen with the Paige. Neither pull the strings out of tune and neither reduce the resonance. I never worry about the Paige popping off while playing you can buy 3 1/2 of them for the price of the Shubb.
Exact same experience, Paige is more secure lighter, works well and is cheaper. I have had the Shubb FT pop off as well.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
Try Bill down at Showcase in Texas. Great guy, makes a terrific Elliot style capo for less than you quoted. It is the only capo I use. Great tone and fine adjustment plus it is beautiful and out of the way when you are picking...

http://www.billstokesshowcase.com/Capos.html

(I don't know the rules about recommending folks. I have zero financial interest in this product but I sure like mine)

Looks interesting but the site is under construction and no prices listed.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:30 AM

I have a couple of Paige capos and I do not like them. They can't hold a candle to the good old Shubb capos I normally use.

The Paige capos I own seem to me made of really cheap metal that has too much flex to work well.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 01-29-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Looks interesting but the site is under construction and no prices listed.
His phone number is clearly listed. Give him a cal, he's a great guy.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 PM

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but Paige makes a capo for wider fingerboards..
I have a Paige on my 3 main gigging guitars and like them a lot.. You have to pay attention to having it lined up and tightened well (don't over do it!).. I figure it's worth it just to know I always have a capo at the ready though I do keep others nearby as I often host Open Mic nights and don't mind providing spares.. I am also a fan of Shubb- though I like ones I can just clip on a mic stand like a Dunlop Trigger which I don't mind for cheap.. Never got on with Kyser's big footprint though I have a few.. Here is a link to Paige's site to see their models..

http://www.paigemusical.com/product_display

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone eskimo View Post
Don't think it's been mentioned yet but Paige makes a capo for wider fingerboards..
I have a Paige on my 3 main gigging guitars and like them a lot.. You have to pay attention to having it lined up and tightened well (don't over do it!).. I figure it's worth it just to know I always have a capo at the ready though I do keep others nearby as I often host Open Mic nights and don't mind providing spares.. I am also a fan of Shubb- though I like ones I can just clip on a mic stand like a Dunlop Trigger which I don't mind for cheap.. Never got on with Kyser's big footprint though I have a few.. Here is a link to Paige's site to see their models..

http://www.paigemusical.com/product_display
Good point. My playing partner has a '67 D-18S and he uses the wider Paige. Incidentally, I also use the wider model on my guitar since on a couple of songs I capo at the 7th fret and I need the extra width at that position.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-30-2017, 07:54 AM

I like the low profile and simplicity of my Paige. I get the impression that it's narrow bar holds the strings down crisply and securely and doesn't overly-affect intonation. However, for tunes that need to be brought up a half-step or more in mid-song, I attach a spring-loaded Kyser over the nut. No screw to loosen and re-tighten. The quickest way to get the kapo on when you need to clamp it on within a beat or two.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 PM

I've been digging my Shubb Fine Tune F3 model for wider neck.. quality and material equal of the elliott at half the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion