The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 05:12 PM

That's a beauty!!
Great choice.. Love the burst and the wood grain on the back.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
I played one today at Sam Ash. I like the burst and this one was loud when you punched it. Probably the most volume from any J15 I've played.
Yeah, the 2018s seemed a little louder than previous years. I noticed this with J45s too.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Very nice. My brother has a pretty good one.

Do they make these without the pick up now? Or is that like a special order thing?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Very nice. My brother has a pretty good one.

Do they make these without the pick up now? Or is that like a special order thing?
Don’t think there’s a stock no pickup option.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
Don’t think there’s a stock no pickup option.

Yeah, that is what I thought. I was hoping they might have changed this, but I guess they figure that the sales they lose because of the pick ups are outweighed by the expense and trouble of stocking both with and without.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Yeah, that is what I thought. I was hoping they might have changed this, but I guess they figure that the sales they lose because of the pick ups are outweighed by the expense and trouble of stocking both with and without.

I talked to a Gibson rep about this and he said the biggest issue is getting the relative demand right. Whenever they make a with and without pickup acoustic they always end being slightly off and one has a shortage and the other a surplus. Not a big deal on small runs, but the J15 is a pretty big seller, so being off could mean they have hundreds of surplus of one model and a shortage of the other. And the savings passed to the customer would be pretty negligible because they get those Element systems dirt cheap. And they’re light and easy for the user to remove.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
For 2018 they’re a standard option. It’s a $200 upcharge though. Thankfully I got this for a deal. Paid $1500 total for a brand new one.
That is a killer deal and a killer guitar! Love the burst and the abalone rosette!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM

Oh man I wish they offered a burst when the J15 came out. Seems a lot darker in person, beautiful! I’ve yet to play one that wasn’t a cannon, enjoy it!
2007 Stonebridge DS-32SM
1969 Guild D25
2006 Fender American Stratocaster

“So I’ll steal freedom while there’s still some, and take the whole world in. If I could only leave my worries with the birds and the wind.” Birds - Cody Jinks
Old 06-25-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceOnTheRidge View Post
Oh man I wish they offered a burst when the J15 came out. Seems a lot darker in person, beautiful! I’ve yet to play one that wasn’t a cannon, enjoy it!

The burst, more than any other burst I’ve seen, varies based on the light. In bright, direct light it’s almost a honeyburst. In dark “you’re not the lead singer and are playing an acoustic guitar” light it’s like a J45 vintage burst. In soft evening lamp light it’s like a sunset burst.

One of the really cool things about it.

Overall I’d say it’s like a faded tobacco burst on a les Paul. Which the slightly lighter burst is nice with the walnut fingerboard because it doesn’t make it seem as light colored as it is.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
That is a killer deal and a killer guitar! Love the burst and the abalone rosette!

Yeah, the abalone has really grown on me. It’s subtle enough to where it’s not out of place, but it just catches your eye every now and then.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:49 PM

When I bought mine in January of 2017, the burst wasn't an option. However, Gibson made a few each year, all different and I was fortunate enough to get one from Music Villa. Mine has a dark burst (think J45) and a black neck and a semi transparent black back (I can just barely make out the walnut wood grain through the black finish).

The gentleman I worked with said they tried to get all that the Bozeman factory made. My guess is they were either deciding how to standardize the burst for 2018 or they were just covering up less than stellar wood.

Either way, I could not be happier with my J-15:

She's loud when I want her to be and maintains the beautiful Gibson tone I waited far too long to get.

Best,
PJ
Old 06-25-2018, 06:31 PM

More eye candy on a rainy back porch evening:

deleted account
Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I talked to a Gibson rep about this and he said the biggest issue is getting the relative demand right. Whenever they make a with and without pickup acoustic they always end being slightly off and one has a shortage and the other a surplus. Not a big deal on small runs, but the J15 is a pretty big seller, so being off could mean they have hundreds of surplus of one model and a shortage of the other. And the savings passed to the customer would be pretty negligible because they get those Element systems dirt cheap. And they’re light and easy for the user to remove.
Yeah, I not too surprised. But I do think if they kept a couple dozen at the factory to fill orders from the non-pick up crowd it would work out well.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:26 PM

Hi! its 2021 ... im planning to buy a gibson J15 walnut burst ... i've seen your photos ... and i think its a gourgeous guitar ...
... but i always dreamt about the vintage burst ... since this will be my 1st "real" acoustic guitar ... i'm a bit afraid to regret later ...

so can i ask you ... if you still have got Gibson J-15 ? Are you still happy with "her" ?
Does the walnot Burst got a little darker over time ???

sorry for so many questions ...
but i've been saving to buy an acoustic ... and now that i'm decided to buy it ...
i'm a bit afraid ... of regreting ...
ehehe

thanks
Greetings from Portugal

Stay Safe & Keep Rockin
Rui

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion