The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I think the Collings OM1 is a good fingerstyle guitar if you like mahogany. Look up Pete Huttlinger songs on YouTube for sound examples, because Pete played an OM1A (adi top). The German spruce top is maybe a little mellower and maybe a little more responsive, though once the Adi top breaks in, it sounds pretty good to me. I have a Collings OM1A with a dread depth body, which adds a little more bass and also fattens the trebles slightly.

Here is an example of me playing my Collings OM1A deep body.

- Glenn
Old 06-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso612 View Post
...I'm looking for a mahogany fingerstyle guitar...I want the warm clarity and separation of mahogany...what I don't like in Martin guitars are trebles. They are sparkly but thin. I like FAT trebles...
Someone already suggested an all-hog SCGC 1929, to which I'll add the Martin 000-15SM: fat trebles, punchy mids, near-dreadnaught bass, and a modern-feeling 1-3/4" neck - best part is that you can also have the 14-fret companion version for the same money as one SCGC '29...
Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Thanks you all for you support. You are very helpful.
I need time to think and try to find some model you suggested to play.
It will be a very long research....

@PiousDevil No, I don't have money for a Lowden. But I really like them, the most fascinating trebles I've ever tried. And not only that, obviously.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think the Collings OM1 is a good fingerstyle guitar if you like mahogany. Look up Pete Huttlinger songs on YouTube for sound examples, because Pete played an OM1A (adi top). The German spruce top is maybe a little mellower and maybe a little more responsive, though once the Adi top breaks in, it sounds pretty good to me. I have a Collings OM1A with a dread depth body, which adds a little more bass and also fattens the trebles slightly.

- Glenn
Great work Glenn!
Can I ask you what strings do you use on the guitar in your video? And were they new or played in?
Old 06-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Have you checked out Martin OMC-18 Juber? There's a couple for sale on Reverb and they are superb guitars (mahog/adi). You can also check out YouTube for Laurence Juber as he has several videos with him playing his signature guitar from Martin which BTW come in several wood combos.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso612 View Post
Great work Glenn!
Can I ask you what strings do you use on the guitar in your video? And were they new or played in?
I use D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light gauge) on my Collings OM1A deep body and at the time I bought this guitar, 2009, those are the strings that Collings put on that guitar at the factory. I have tried some other strings on this guitar, but I keep coming back to the EJ16 strings on the Collings. I have tried some John Pearse PB light strings on this guitar and they also sound good, a little mellower than the D'Addario EJ16 strings.

The strings in the video were new within a day or two of being put on the guitar.

Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Old 06-24-2018, 07:59 PM

Ibanez AVC9...about $400.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

I may have missed it, but I didn't see the OP mentioning a price range.

If price is not a big deal, I'm thinking Martin 000-18 or Collings or even Eastman, which makes some great guitars are very attractive prices.

best of luck,
scott memmer
Old 06-25-2018, 02:37 AM

I played a Franklin mahogany adi OM and it was very good indeed for fingerstyle.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

- Glenn
Great playing Glenn and an excellent representation for the OP to consider. I think a Collings OM1A will provide everything the OP is looking for: volume, clarity, fat trebles and balance with a very comfortable form that is impeccably built.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrpck View Post
Have you checked out Martin OMC-18 Juber? There's a couple for sale on Reverb and they are superb guitars (mahog/adi). You can also check out YouTube for Laurence Juber as he has several videos with him playing his signature guitar from Martin which BTW come in several wood combos.
By listening to youtube it seems too bright to my taste. But I can be wrong, I really don't understand the real sound from youtube.... and for sure I won't find one to try.
But thanks so much for the input
Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I may have missed it, but I didn't see the OP mentioning a price range.

If price is not a big deal, I'm thinking Martin 000-18 or Collings or even Eastman, which makes some great guitars are very attractive prices.

best of luck,
scott memmer
I said the less possible and no more than 3000.
I will try a 00-18 in 2 or 3 weeks and I will see what happens.
I considered Eastman too but it seems that all these good guitars (Same as Furch for example) have 2 5/32 space at saddle. Too bad for me.
Thanks for input

Last edited by Eso612; 06-25-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Great playing Glenn and an excellent representation for the OP to consider. I think a Collings OM1A will provide everything the OP is looking for: volume, clarity, fat trebles and balance with a very comfortable form that is impeccably built.
Maybe you are right, but Collings are too much expensive for me

Sorry I'm not english, what does OP stay for?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I use D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light gauge) on my Collings OM1A deep body and at the time I bought this guitar, 2009, those are the strings that Collings put on that guitar at the factory. I have tried some other strings on this guitar, but I keep coming back to the EJ16 strings on the Collings. I have tried some John Pearse PB light strings on this guitar and they also sound good, a little mellower than the D'Addario EJ16 strings.

The strings in the video were new within a day or two of being put on the guitar.

Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. It helped me to understand a lot more.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechcreek Gary View Post
Ibanez AVC9...about $400.
Thanks. I would like to find one to try.
Do you know space at saddle?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion