The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-20-2018, 02:20 PM

Default My ideal acoustic guitar for performing

I have a few guitars that I love, but they all leave me a little wanting. I currently play out for worship and primarily use my McPherson Sable, which I love mostly for its robust nature, playability and unplugged tone. But the plugged in sound is okay and dictates that I use my pedalboard for some modeling, eq and tuner. I also have and use a Yamaha SLG200S which I like for its great preamp and portability, but it is still wood so I worry about leaving it in the car. Also, it is just slightly neck heavy and I store my capo on the headstock it is imbalanced. It also has a 1 11/16” nut width, which is a little narrow for me.

I have been thinking and would really be drawn to a solid body or semi hollow (thinline) carbon fiber acoustic guitar. Add a nice modeling preamp with a built in tuner. And if the upper half of the guitar was removable like the SLG200S to make it that much more portable that would be a plus. Oh, and a 1.75” nut width.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 06-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

Alistair recently made me an X7, thin-bodied, hollow, electric guitar that is acoustic enough for small gatherings and practice and when electrified has incredible tone and projection. You might give him an email.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

The only CF guitar I'm aware of that has anything removable (like your Yamaha) is the Journey OF660 - the neck comes off and the whole thing goes into its backpack/case. It will not be the equivalence of your Sable, though.

Like Evan, I am a big fan of Emerald Guitars; their new X10 should be a great performing guitar (available with 3 levels of pickup), but it has a 1 11/16" nut width. Alistair can do custom neck mods, but I have no idea about the upcharge for making that guitar with a 1 3/4" nut. Also, it doesn't fold, nothing removes. BUT, I have no doubt that it is going to be one heck of a performer (based on my experience with the X7 and X20). This is a new model from Emerald - can't wait to see one "in the wild."
Old 06-20-2018, 04:39 PM

How large is the venue at which you are playing? Will you be accompanied by anyone else? �� �� bass other guitar ��? Are you plugged into a sound system or an amp? Are you a strummer or picker and would you need to take a guitar solo during a song?

Last edited by GuitarDoc; 06-20-2018 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Additional questions
Old 06-20-2018, 05:32 PM

2500 seat sanctuary plugged into a large PA in an orchestra setting strumming.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 06-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Guest 928

That's a lot of ears!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM

I’m in south Florida so most of them are deaf anyway.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Guest 928

So you could probably get along with a Yamaha silent guitar. I could see where air guitar might work. So many options...................
Old 06-21-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
So you could probably get along with a Yamaha silent guitar. I could see where air guitar might work. So many options...................
Good one Unc

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber