The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 AM

I thought about starting a separate thread but maybe this fits here. I am wondering about uke bracing patterns for the various sizes. When I asked my luthier (he builds guitars and mandolins) about options for a custom uke he mentioned using a "Martin" bracing pattern, though for a soprano sized uke I also heard that no bracing is used.

So anyway, are there some bracing diagrams for various uke sizes available anywhere?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM

What suits your fancy?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ukule...w=1920&bih=940
Old 01-25-2018, 09:33 AM

Many who come to the ukulele from the guitar world seem to prefer the tenor size for its more resonant tone. The standard bracing pattern for these is three fan braces and two transverse braces at the sound hole. Some use a circular patch around the sound hole but it is enough place small braces next to the hole connecting the two transverse braces. Generally, build it light. Tune GCEA and enjoy using guitar chord shapes with different names!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair