The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-14-2018, 06:50 AM

Default How low the saddle can be?

I bought a new guitar, it has a nice, low and buzz-free action (and a great tone too). I noticed that the height of the saddle is very low (hence the low action).
So my question is, could the low saddle cause any issues in the future (e.g. in a few years time)?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 AM

If you have run out of saddle adjustment height - 1/16" of projection or less - you have no accommodation for changes in instrument geometry. At that point, as the action rises with the changes in geometry, you're into a neck reset, bridge shave and/or pin hole slotting/ramping.

If you bought a new guitar that has no further room for adjustment, the neck angle is "poor", suggesting you'll need a neck reset sooner than later (i.e. possibly in a few years versus, say, 20 to 30 years). If the neck is a bolt-on design, the reset might be $75: if it is not a bolt-on, you might be looking at $500 or so.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM

I appreciate your reply Charles. You confirmed what I read about it somewhere before.

I hope I will enjoy long time before experiencing any problems. Because of the action is so low (lowest I've seen on an acoustic) even if it raises a bit, it will still be playable and relatively low and won't need any saddle adjustments. But there is still a small margin to allow the saddle to go even lower if necessary.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:20 AM

It may be that the bridge is thick, over 3/8, so shaving would be the thing to do or the saddle may be just too low, strings should be 1/2" off the top. Depending on the guitar you could shave the bridge to get some more exposure but I wouldnt do it with an expensive guitar. Optimally 1/8" saddle exposure is preferred.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Is there an easy way of telling if a guitar has a bolt-on or glued-in neck?
Anyway, the guitar in question is a Sigma DR28.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Is there an easy way of telling if a guitar has a bolt-on or glued-in neck?
Anyway, the guitar in question is a Sigma DR28.
The Sigma website did say the the neck joint was a dovetail. I'd imagine that means glued in

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair