The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-09-2021, 08:38 AM

Default Taylor Tusq saddle is 12" radius, why?

So after going through a bunch of the PQ-9200-C0 and finding the radius was 12" and not 15 or 16" like you'd assume they used I reached out to Tusq. They told me 12" is per the request of Taylor.

I've heard of using a 16" radius saddle on a 15" radius neck, but why would they use 12". I can quite easily feel more tension on the middle D and G strings, I find it make it slightly harder to play.

Does anyone know why they would do this?
Old 01-09-2021, 09:23 AM

They do it for the obvious reason that it gives them the relative string heights they want to have. It seems many players are quite happy with that arrangement. If you want a different arrangement of string heights, change it to however you want it to be. That’s what a setup is about, changing how it came to how you prefer.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
They do it for the obvious reason that it gives them the relative string heights they want to have. It seems many players are quite happy with that arrangement. If you want a different arrangement of string heights, change it to however you want it to be. That’s what a setup is about, changing how it came to how you prefer.
So the Taylor micarta or Taylor bone saddles (the ones you get from them direct) are 15" to match the radius. I've got a few of each here and about 4 of the Tusq PQ-9200 saddles.

Just strange that even some of the older Taylor no branded tusq saddles were 12" too. They only switched to a 15" radius saddle when they chose micarta recently.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:58 AM

You can always write to them and ask why they do what they do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair