The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Default MAGNOLIA or Mag-nole-ia ;)

Magnolia is the first composition I wrote on my Takamine KC70. The melody was inspired by many drives down Magnolia Ave. in St. Augustine, Florida. It runs parallel to the intracoastal waterway at the base of the Vilano bridge. As you can see by the images, the street has a canopy of these magnificent trees. Ponce De Leon's Fountain of Youth is also located there. It is one of the most photographed places in St. Augustine. I tried to portray a quiet musical image of a view and stroll down this lovely avenue.

I read in one of our friend Mau's post that no one had ever written a song for him; so in light of that and his excellent contributions to the AGF I want to dedicate this to Mau Lao aka Joe Charter. Mau is a very accomplished, writer, guitarist and photographer who enjoys and appreciates the beauty of the floral. Please check out his wonderful YTC and gallery of fine instruments at: http://www.youtube.com/user/syndicatedarts

I want to thank my friend Joe Hempel for taking my video and rendering it in HD as well as adding the photo images I took of Magnolia Ave. Please check Joe out at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jhempel24...

Once again I simply recorded on my new lady KC, on my Sony laptop, in my livingroom. No edits or effects, just the webcam mic and volume!

Always best in HD with headphones imho; hope you like!

nole

Last edited by noledog; 09-06-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Noledog, this is really excellent! You amaze me!

I guess the surprise is that I'm fairly new posting songs around here. One thing I learned from you guys is that I should buy a better sounding guitar. Your Tak sounds magnificent. It has a very full and rich sound.

The whole production was impressive. Tell your friends that they deserve all of our thanks for a job very well done.

No doubt this song will be popular like Freebird!

Great listening, my friend!

Undefined People Music Site
Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Very pretty Eric. I'm so glad you gave me a back story to this. I often come up with my own stories to fingerstyle pieces, but I LOVE knowing what the composer was "channeling" when he/she wrote it. I could almost smell smell the magnolias in the warm coastal air. Very nice tribute to our friend Mau!

The link to Joe's you tube worked, but Mau's took me to a gaming site. Better check that link out.

Loved the piece and that is quite a wonderful guitar too!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM

Noledog, that sounds fantastic! You play with a lot of passion and there are a lot of dynamics to your playing.

I think you'd be right at home on a nylon string.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM
AGF Administrator

Lovely piece, Eric. KC sounds great. Nice dedication as well.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noman View Post
Noledog, this is really excellent! You amaze me!

I guess the surprise is that I'm fairly new posting songs around here. One thing I learned from you guys is that I should buy a better sounding guitar. Your Tak sounds magnificent. It has a very full and rich sound.

The whole production was impressive. Tell your friends that they deserve all of our thanks for a job very well done.

No doubt this song will be popular like Freebird!

Great listening, my friend!
Thank you very much noman. ...I think your guitar always sounds wonderful noman and your recordings are awesome!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Hey Eric,

My biggest wish is for the wonderful Muriel Anderson to dedicate me a piece -- but since that is unlikely to happen in this lifetime, your offer comes in as a very close second...

I really appreciate your supportive words -- although I do feel like there are so many talented artists who devote so much time to their craft that I'm not worthy of the brilliant composition you came up with.

But I will very happily accept it -- and with your permission I'd certainly like to record my version of it at some point.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Hey Eric,

My biggest wish is for the wonderful Muriel Anderson to dedicate me a piece -- but since that is unlikely to happen in this lifetime, your offer comes in as a very close second...

I really appreciate your supportive words -- although I do feel like there are so many talented artists who devote so much time to their craft that I'm not worthy of the brilliant composition you came up with.

But I will very happily accept it -- and with your permission I'd certainly like to record my version of it at some point.
Mau is being too humble...His record stands on it's own merits!!! And Nole...You are one talented individual Amigo and continue to amaze and impress the entire AGF forum!!! Happy thoughts as you traipse down Mag-Nole-ia Ave.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Very pretty - it has a lovely melody coming into it and some great unexpected harmonies.

And ah - those little notes at around 0:51, such a sad (but beautiful) sound, just great how you play it (and a wonderful thing about the acoustic guitar sound). Really enjoyed the song and watching.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 09-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Very pretty Eric. I'm so glad you gave me a back story to this. I often come up with my own stories to fingerstyle pieces, but I LOVE knowing what the composer was "channeling" when he/she wrote it. I could almost smell smell the magnolias in the warm coastal air. Very nice tribute to our friend Mau!

The link to Joe's you tube worked, but Mau's took me to a gaming site. Better check that link out.

Loved the piece and that is quite a wonderful guitar too!
Thank you Roy...I know what you mean Roy; I can't write just off the cuff; gotta be inspired. I love your stories bro; your a master storyteller!
Thanks for the heads up on the link; I fixed it.
I appreciate all the props my friend.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Noledog, that sounds fantastic! You play with a lot of passion and there are a lot of dynamics to your playing.

I think you'd be right at home on a nylon string.
Dru my man thank you so much for the kind props! I haven't played much nylon but when I do I really love the tone; might have to pick one up! Uh oh GAS attack influenced by my fellow AGF homie and Patriot from NS!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Dang Eric. Great writing and playing! The talent here on the AGF is truly inspirational.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Stunningly beautiful as always, Eric. Nice video to boot. Have I seen this lady before - beautiful sounding. Oh - and nice play on words in the title :-)

Steve
Old 09-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Lovely piece, Eric. KC sounds great. Nice dedication as well.
Hey Jeremy,
Thanks so much buddy for the continued encouragement and kind comments; means a lot bro.

eric
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Very beautiful song. Your guitar has a very warm tone, very nice, and you are a very skilled player. Mau is also one of my favorites here on the forum. Perhaps you two could collaborate via the miracles of electronic editing and make a duet out of this wonderful piece?

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell