The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlon
ohh - I like this thread. You should take a minute and listen to Roger Hardin . He has won several fingerstyle championships, so I don't know if he qualifies as famous - but he should be. Plus he's a really nice person. Check out my personal favorite "Barbara's Tea Pots" on his website.
Incredible guitar player ! Thanks, for the link. 'When you wish upon a star' is an amazing piece of playing.

Last edited by Bern; 12-30-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

A band based out of Virginia Beach - Falstaff. Every once in a great while they'll pull back together for a show, but I think they've pretty much gone their own ways, sadly.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up "Non-Famous"

Someone mentioned Sam Pacetti out of the St. Augustine area, if you haven't heard him, you should. I am sure that he WILL be famous, he is a tremendous guitar playing talent and also is possessed with a great voice.....

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM

Hey folks, keep 'em coming cause I'm taking notes. I've been needing a fix of "new and fresh" for some time to boost my musical moral.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:14 PM

Earlier this year I saw a guy named Harry Manx in a coffee house. He has been nominated for Juno Awards but I had never heard of him. As a solo act he played a 5-string banjo and this crazy 20-stringed modified acoustic guitar that he could make sound like a sitar. His music is kinda bluesy, kinda middle eastern.

'05 Taylor 314
'05 Baby Taylor
Old 12-30-2005, 06:17 PM

Another vote for Sam Pacetti, as well the guy that Sam says still makes him nervous when he enters the room, Steve Shanholtzer.
Pacetti has a couple of CD's available, and I think Bob Colosi has them listed for sale at his site.
The only CD I know of that WAS available by Steve was with his parter as the Jalpeno Brothers. I don't think you can get that one any more, and you can't have my copy.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM

Andrew Hardin - an amazing guitarist - he plays for singer/songwriter Tom Russell but has put out a couple of his own CD's. Tom Russell is kind of a pompous pud - full of himeself singer songwriter but if you get a chance to see him in a coffee house/bar/whatever - go see him just to watch Andrew Hardin.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:47 PM

I have been listening to a guy in my neighborhood who's been playing coffee houses and small venues for years...his name is Ray Kamalay. He used to play thursday nights at the old Varsity Inn in East Lansing, probably up until about 10 years ago. Then he started playing at Cappucino Cafe...he occasionally does gigs at the Ark in Ann Arbor, and has a very successful jazz quartet called the "Red Hot Peppers". He has played with such greats as Howard Armstrong, and Walter White, among others. He prides himself on being "a musician with a garden and a library card". I used to go to the Varsity when I was going through my divorce and would have a beer and listen to him for hours...he I guess more than anyone else turned me on to Django, and the old jazz standards like
Count Basie, Ellington, Waller, Razif, Morton, etc...my favorite is a song he does which was featured on the Marx Bro's "night at the circus", called "Lydia the Tattooed lady".
He is also a true Renaissance man and will comfortably discuss politics, gardening, or philosophy. If you ever get a chance to check him out, I highly recommend that you take a minute and meet him. I suppose he's one of the hundreds of interesting people who've floated through my life in semi-anonymity, but who I consider myself lucky to have met.
[email protected]

Last edited by geardaddy; 01-05-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM

I've been absolutely blown away by Mark Goldenberg's self-titled solo guitar release. Mark is the touring guitarist for Jackson Browne and has been a first-call session guy for many famous recording artists. His solo style is lyrical and very creative. Tasteful stuff.

http://markgoldenberg.com/
Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 AM

Unhappy

I'll give another vote of confidence for Gillian Welch (Time the Revelator is such a good record), but my true favorite has to be Roger Miller, not the King of the Road, but a Boston guru of sound. He is 'almost famous' for being 1/3 the brain of Mission of Burma and for playing some blistering, innovative guitar.
What most people don't know is that he's spent the last 20 years composing avant film scores and performing around the north-east in dozens of influential bands. Most recently an outfit called 'Binary System". One of my favorite records of his is a solo guitar CD called Elemental Guitar. Aside from 'Burma' my favorite band he's fronted is 'No Man'. Check him out here.

http://rogermiller.home.mindspring.com/

His style ranges from the avant/psycedelic to rock/punk to jazz/blues.
Truely an awe-inspiring guitarist and pianist. If only I still lived in Boston.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell