The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-22-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Your most jaw-dropping cover song

Have you ever played a cover song that just flat-out stunned everyone in the bar/venue? A song that everyone went nuts for, or hated, or were just shocked to hear coming from an "acoustic" performer?

Mine was last night. I play fairly traditional music in my local Irish pub. I sprinkle in some contemporary songs that fit the aesthetic. Late nights (11 to midnight) I like to crank up the distortion thru my T5/ABY arrangement and belt out some Irish punk a la The Pogues and Flogging Molly. But last night, I struck gold. At the urging of the management, I closed out my show with The Misfits "Last Caress". I think it took 15 minutes for everyone to realize what had just happened, and I have never had such a good time hanging out post-show. Everyone was impressed with the fact that: a) I had the stones to even try to play that song in an Irish bar, and b) that I threw down and went for it so hard, and the end result was impressive to all present.

I apologize for blowing my own horn, but I rarely get the volume of praise that I did last night, so I am still floating on that. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

2006 Avalon A100
2005 Baby M
2005 T5-C1 (Tobacco Burst)

www.jameswestmusic.com
Old 12-22-2005, 08:45 AM

No problem tootin your own horn. I'll do a little of my own. In my area I am know as a huge John Denver fan so when I play both Rocky Mountain High and Calypso people really really love it. At a gig last night they and we had a blast!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:56 AM

Cinnamon Girl in double drop D
Old 12-22-2005, 09:22 AM

Well, back in the early 60's when Bill Doggett's, Honkey Tonk came out we would play that 2-3 times a night. People just kept asking for it.

Another one like that was, Ray Charles songs
"What'd I Say", and "I got a woman"

Around 1962, The Ventures, "Walk don't run"
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 AM

Any Dave Matthews song that involves a wail (e.g. Bartender -> Don't Drink the Water) usually elicits a chorus of cheers at my gigs

I played a show a few months back that had an entire bachelorette party up and applauding. Unfortunately, they were a collection of the most un-remarkable looking women I've seen in some time

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Dulcimer Diva

The night after Warren Zevon died, I mentioned how many tender and thoughtful songs he'd written, like "Reconsider Me" and "Veracruz." I then launched into "Lawyers, Guns, & Money" (unexpurgated).

Always freaks people out when I do REM's "Driver 8" on dulcimer. And I once won a free beer at an open mic "funkiest cover" competition with Aerosmith's "Janey Got A Gun." (Nearly lost to a guy who did an a cappella version of TLC's "Waterfalls").

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
I played a show a few months back that had an entire bachelorette party up and applauding. Unfortunately, they were a collection of the most un-remarkable looking women I've seen in some time
This made me laugh out loud
Old 12-22-2005, 01:57 PM

The best reaction I ever got was at a birthday party for the 60 year old father-in-law of our bass player. The last song of the last set. Someone shouted it......... we played it......... You know the one...... The one everyone ALWAYS shouts........ The one you NEVER PLAY !!!!!! Thats right....... Freebird. LOL
Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 PM
minister of twang

i'm gonna go with my arrangement of "peggy gordon," accompanied live by jim tozier (video here - note guyute's enthusiastic yet somehow reckless knees in lower-lefthand frame) or al petteway (clip here), from my new record.

ed gerhard has his "the water is wide." i want "peggy gordon" to become my "the water is wide." i think it's one of the most beautiful tunes i've ever heard.
l'twangage
Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmikey
...note guyute's enthusiastic yet somehow reckless knees in lower-lefthand frame)...
LOL, for a minute there, I wasn't sure that was my knees

But all kidding aside, that is a beautiful song, Mike. You and Jim did a fine rendition, too

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken

Last edited by Guyute; 12-22-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 PM

i play ToTo's "Africa" in bars and people go crazy for it, they get a big kick out of it
Old 12-23-2005, 07:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi all,
I do a pretty good version of Chuck Berry's "Maybellene", and a lot of people have taken notice of it, I think.

HE
http://www.howardemerson.com/ You can hear 60 seconds of it here!
Old 12-23-2005, 07:49 AM
minister of twang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
LOL, for a minute there, I wasn't sure that was my knees
i was going to go for a "...or are you just happy to see me?" joke. but you win before i even go there. well played.

see ya again! knees and all!
l'twangage
Old 12-23-2005, 08:37 AM

Clint and I often open (or end) our gigs with a Lee Greenwood song, which always seem to get great response. At our last non-Christmas gig, we opened with "America" and I don't know if it was the comradery folks were feeling or a particularly enthusiastic crowd or what, but they just roared with excitement. I love to witness people getting into it like that.

Martin
Old 12-23-2005, 07:03 PM

I get the best reaction for the following songs

- Pinball Wizard
- Come Together
- Pour Some Sugar on Me
- Hey Hey What Can I do

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell