The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-09-2005, 09:22 PM

Larry,
You should definitely play as a duet. That's what is, right ? I saw so many guitar players live, who coudn't come near to of what they had recorded. Very disappointing !
Anyway, I wish you success with your project.
Bern
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Assessing the track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
...You should definitely play as a duet. That's what is, right ? I saw so many guitar players live, who coudn't come near to of what they had recorded. Very disappointing !
Hi Bern and others...
Thanks for all the advice and pointers.

Here are my assessment of test 1 (duet):
We need to thin the hyper-picking on Mark's part so the melody cuts through better. Perhaps we even need to have the other guitar cover establishing the chord pattern and have him play one verse where all he plays is melody.

We need better dynamics to add contrast to the piece.

We probably need to shorten it by at least 1/4.

Better (stronger) bass line, and it will likely come from the supporting guitar.

Technical changes:
When we record this in earnest, we will use my Olson D for the supporting track (better bass without trying) and my Bashkin OM or a friend's Maple/Spruce Jumbo Taylor for the main track (better bite on the high end).

What we've gleaned from you folks so far:
Work for better separation in the duet piece (and keep it played live as a duet)
Listen closer to the tone we produce utilizing the guitar's strengths, and pay attention to our natural mix.

Thanks everybody, and feel free to continue to add comments...

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 08-10-2005, 07:23 AM

Larry..sounds like you got it covered! Looking forward to hearing the re-take...I'll bet it'll be wonderful!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:19 AM

I still think Shure SM81s would be a great improvement over the Rhodes without breaking the bank. You could spend that extra cash on one of these for the tube softness:

http://hamptone.com/HVTP2.htm

I know a lot of people are really plugging the duets. I don't mean to start trouble, but if you're recording Bashkin guitars for his website so that people can have an idea of what they sound like, duets kind of muddle this experience. Please keep in my that I am not talking about the performance. If I wanted to hear a guitar over the internet to get an idea of what it sounded like, I would want to hear just that gutiar demonstrating it's full capabilities sound wise. I wouldn't really be concentrating on the song itself.

The authourity on recording:

http://tapeop.com/
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Hi jjloomis...
To put your mind at ease, we are doing many tracks or exerpts of tracks for Michael, using three guitars, and he is dictating the mixing and effects used. Those matters are his call. All you have heard so far are some rough tracks I put up for ideas, and I tend to agree dry would be good...his call.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, the Shure SM-81 is not any better than the Rode NT-3 for quality (we have tried many mics in studio...I own the studio). We have tried them. It sounds as if you've had good fortune using them. I'll just save for the Neumanns.

If we decide to step up a notch without expending case, we will look for a way to rent some Neumanns or experiment with the AKG 414, or the Shure KSM-44.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 08-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Larry,
Now I can't wait for the finish.
Please, let us listen to it when you're done.
Bern

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell